It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Organism has Unique roots in the tree of life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Strange Organism has Unique roots in the tree of life

www.msnbc.msn.com

Talk about extended family: A single-celled organism in Norway has been called "mankind's furthest relative." It is so far removed from the organisms we know that researchers claim it belongs to a new base group, called a kingdom, on the tree of life.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This is rather amazing.... it seems to be the common ancestor to a couple of actual kingdoms that exist separate today. What really is wild to me is that though this was found in Norway, similar genetics have been found in Tibet as well...

Who know's what lurks in the mucks at the bottoms of our subconscious, er I mean bodies of water.

With all this new information coming about with genetics... it's amazing to think of where we will be with it 10 years hence.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
From what I have read, Norway and the surrounding areas are some of the most unchanged areas on the planet. I think its pretty cool what they are discovering there.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

There are some evergreen trees in Norway that are more than 7,500 years old! Their locations are secret of course but it's amazing!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

"We are surprised," said study researcher Dag Klaveness, also of the University of Oslo, because the species is unique. They compared its genome with those in hundreds of databases around the world, with little luck. In all that looking they "have only found a partial match with a gene sequence in Tibet."

I took a look to see what that meant.

Its closest known genetic relative is the protist Diphylleia, though other organisms that haven't been analyzed genetically may be closer relatives.

It would be either Diphylleia grayi or Diphylleia sinensis since Diphylleia cymosa is from North America.

I narrowed it down to two plants, Sinensis is actually endangered!

www.iucnredlist.org...

Native: China (Gansu, Hubei, Shaanxi, Sichuan, Yunnan)

Since Xizang isn't mentioned as part of it's natural area I think the closest genetic relative to the newly discovered organism is Diphylleia grayi!

I feel smart but Wikipedia was of no use to find out this information, it kinda pointed me in the right direction though.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

There are some evergreen trees in Norway that are more than 7,500 years old! Their locations are secret of course but it's amazing!

Any other info on these?

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sachyriel

Thank you very much for the additional research!

new topics

top topics

join