It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should ATS Crack DOWN On The Use Of SILLY ANNOYING CAPITALS?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Im not the most polite person at times but I find the use of CAPITAL LETTERS on this site to be very ANNOYING and OBNOXIOUS.I really like a political forum in Australia called The Punch. The site The Punch has banned members from using capital letters because they are so very annoying.

Our website The Punch is banning reader comments which contain words typed in all capitals. Why? Because they’re REALLY ANNOYING.

They not only LOOK HORRIBLE but they’re often a substitute for REASONED ARGUMENT. This is because they are generally employed by people who, rather than fleshing out their point, resort to SHOUTING AT EACH OTHER.

On contentious issues - climate change for example - it’s quite common to see one comment from Skeptic of Sunbury along the lines of “LEFTARDS will swallow the LIES peddle by GORE and TURNBULL and KRUDD and the liberal polar bear loving media” followed by an equally cheery reader, with a name such as Deniersmustdie, saying “yeah skeptic get back to us WHEN U DROWN”.

Under our guidelines we won’t be censoring people who write in capitals - we’ll just be reminding them that they, not us, have to resubmit their comments in lower case, and hopefully have a bit of a deep breath as they do it so as to make their point in a more civilised fashion.

www.thepunch.com.au...

Does anyone else find the use of CAPITALS to be annoying? Is there really a need to shout at each other? I think ATS should consider banning the use of captals too. I honestly cant stand when a poster directs an uppercase word or ten at me.
edit on 30-4-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
YES!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I think not only should ATS go and BAN capitals, BUT ALSO think about other ANNOYING things like VOWELS!

n dy w wll ll s tht vwls annyng t....

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
If all the ANNOYING things should be banned, that members complain about, I fear there would not be much left to read on the site.

This will happen all the time, so I suggest to just get use to it. Complaining about it is like farting into the wind.

vvv

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? DO YOU REALLY HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT??? WHAT KIND OF PENALTY SHOULD BE IMPLEMENTED HERE? CAPITAL PUNISHMENT?

JUST KIDDING...YOU REALLY NEED TO GET A HOBBY IF THIS IS WHAT GETS UNDER YOUR SKIN. BREATHE IN AND OUT AND IN AND OUT. WHEW.

BTW...I'M NOT YELLING.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MightyQuincunx

BUT I AM YELLING, ABOUT VOWELS!

Srsly.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MightyQuincunx

Well this site agree's with me. Maybe we are just more civilised down here in Australia

And yeah,there is alot that annoys me. If someone raises their voice at me in real life I wouldnt appreciate it at all.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Annoyance is in the eye of the beholder.
2nd line.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Hey noob if you really hate this kind of stuff, then why the sensationalist caps in your title?

All new members should read these, but most do not......

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you don't like it simply log out of ATS and go your merry way.

Oh yeah, woud you like some cheese and crackers with your Whine?
edit on 30-4-2012 by redbarron626 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
i'm going to be alternative and write in small letters. i'm a pacifist.
i find it particularly annoying when people miss-spell definitely. They usually write defiantly. Makes me wanna sh*t my pants.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

I also dislike this whole second line thing you guys have happening.

Is it really necessary? I know minimal posts are frowned upon but still. Its kinda SILLY.

And before anyone tells me to go back to The Punch,I beat you too it. That wouldbe a LAME burn anyway.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

Isn't this thread a wee bit ironic, considering you deploy one of the 'offending' ALL CAPS items in your signature?

On the subject, emphasis is not the same as shouting. As long as not everything is in all caps, I find that it bothers me little.

Besides, I find substance far more important than form. You must annoy very easily.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis
i find it particularly annoying when people miss-spell definitely. They usually write defiantly. Makes me wanna sh*t my pants.

Ha! That was a good burn. I cant spell to save my life.

2nd line

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

all gentle lowercase letters for you civilized folks "down there".

is this better? i just think that the whole issue is ridiculous. we live in a society where nothing is civilized because we are all becoming socially inept due to the keyboard strokes. there is no more (or very little) eye contact and person to person (face to face) conversation. this lack of "connection" makes it very hard for me to take much if anything at all seriously when it comes to online dialogue.

wasn't trying to offend...just playing around. i haven't had my cup of joe yet.

I just wish that we lived in a world where lowercase and capital letters were treated equally.

WTF!

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
aBsOluTeLy!!!

AnY mEmBeR wHo UsEs CaPiTaL lEtTeRs ShOuLd Be TaRrEd, FeAtHeReD aNd BaNiShEd FrOm ThE aTs KiNgDoM.

bUt.......

If YoU tRy 2 StOp Me FrOm DoInG iT i WiLl JuSt FiNd A nEw AnD bEtTeR wAy To aNnOy YoU.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Isn't this thread a wee bit ironic, considering you deploy one of the 'offending' ALL CAPS items in your signature?

Yeah,thats what I was going for actually.

Irony.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
No, ATS ABSOLUTELY should not.

Capitalization is often used for emphasis. Using ALL caps should be frowned upon but using capitalization for emphasis isn't rude and shouldn't be disallowed.

ATS should ban people for bad spelling and punctuation, or maybe open a new forum called "composition workshop" where people can go to learn how to use apostrophes, which form of "there, their, or they're" to use, etc.

I think the reasoning provided by you from The Punch is crap. I don't think it's rude at all when someone responds to me and uses italics or capitalization to emphasize. It helps to drive a point. The Punch is crippling it's contributors. Maybe they should put a focus on spelling and composition too. Why disallow effective communication while allowing for horrible spelling and punctuation? What's with Australia and placing ridiculous restrictions on EVERYTHING or forcing people to do SOMETHING? And why is that mentality being adopted by otherwise freedom loving Australians?

edit on 30-4-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MightyQuincunx

all gentle lowercase letters for you civilized folks "down there".

is this better? i just think that the whole issue is ridiculous. we live in a society where nothing is civilized because we are all becoming socially inept due to the keyboard strokes. there is no more (or very little) eye contact and person to person (face to face) conversation. this lack of "connection" makes it very hard for me to take much if anything at all seriously when it comes to online dialogue.

wasn't trying to offend...just playing around. i haven't had my cup of joe yet.

I just wish that we lived in a world where lowercase and capital letters were treated equally.

WTF!

Ha! Its funny that so many flock to silly threads yet when something worth posting is put on the site it often goes ignored.

Is there a flock of you guys waiting around to rip on people with uninspired burns or something?

Your outrage at my post is ironic.

link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

Originally posted by Samuelis

Ha! That was a good burn. I cant spell to save my life.

2nd line

no burnsies. I can't either. It's just that ONE word that gets to me.

2nd

link   

Originally posted by Germanicus
reply to post by orbitbaby

I also dislike this whole second line thing you guys have happening.

Is it really necessary? I know minimal posts are frowned upon but still. Its kinda SILLY.

And before anyone tells me to go back to The Punch,I beat you too it. That wouldbe a LAME burn anyway.

People don't say "burn" on ATS, it's more like you got debunked.

But if you don't like it here, you can always make it better by making threads that make it better. (This one?)

Maybe your next one...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join