It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 Ways the Media Doesn’t Understand Gun Owners.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+36 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Came across this article today and being pro-gun myself I thought it was interesting. I think the writer is spot on about how the media portrays gun owners in todays America. I'm only going to post the first bit of each one. There is more within the article. I think it is worth a read wether you are pro-gun, or anti-gun.

Source

1. ‘Shootings Are Caused by Guns’

One aspect of Lepore’s story revolves around a high school shooting. Both parents of the shooter have been in and out of jail for violent crimes, including against each other. The mother is a volatile alcoholic. The father was convicted of kidnapping and assaulting another woman. Reminds you of your home, right?

2. That Is Not an AK-47

If journalists want us to take them seriously, they should at least learn a little about the firearms they so irrationally fear.

3. There Is No ‘Gun Show Loophole’

You can’t just single out a freedom you don’t like and call it a “loophole.” In the United States, we have the right to own firearms.

4. The Collective Rights Argument Is Over

Lepore’s article once again drags out the old argument that, unlike every other freedom guaranteed under the Bill of Rights, the Founding Fathers intended the Second Amendment to be a collective right. Last time I checked, the Supreme Court looked into this issue and ruled that the U.S. Constitution guarantees an individual right to gun ownership. Can we move on?

5. We’re Winning Because Shooting Is Fun

Gun rights and pride in gun ownership hit a marked decline in the early to mid-1990’s, but since then things have changed. Gun owners have adjusted their strategy. We’re back on offense, and journalists don’t seem to understand what happened.

6. Gun Ownership Is Not Declining

Firearms and ammo manufacturers make up practically the only industry that’s actually doing well during this tough recession.

7. Guns Save Lives

Lazy journalists love to drag out the old saying, “You’re more likely to shoot a family member than an intruder.” Find some new facts—that one’s been discredited. It counted illegally possessed guns and gang members right along with the legitimate homes. And it only took into account incidents in which shots were fired.

8. The Brady Campaign Is Full of Lies

Note to the media: Quit citing hugely inflated Brady Campaign statistics to undermine our gun rights.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
S + F!
The mainstream media is corporate owned. The last thing the corporations and their pawns in the government want is people being self reliant and personally responsible. So people protecting themselves and their property are demonized. You know the government will protect you, right? In fact, not only do we discourage personal weapons, but why don't you give up your privacy and other civil liberties as well? The better for us to protect you.

As cliche as it is: God created man. Smith and Wesson made him equal.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
It's a widespread misunderstanding too. I've seen many threads here that devolve into members shouting statistics at each other. And one thing that never fails is that the anti-gun people think that if they could only find JUST the right argument--JUST the right [discredited] statistic--that the gun owners would all just give up and say: "OK, you got us. We'll pile our guns outside the door and you can come get 'em."

Of couse, to be fair, the gun owners don't understand the gun-prohibiters either. They seem to think that quoting just the right bumpersticker will shut them up....

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I agree with you completely. People love to see the misfortune and ignorance. As sad as that is, it's just human nature. In order for media sources to get good ratings they have to appeal to these wants so they constantly pick up stories about some guy that thought it would be cool to play with his gun like it was a toy and ends up blowing his neighbor's face off. You'll never see a story in the news about people taking gun safety courses. Guns have their place in society as a valuable tool whether it be hunting, law enforcement or self defense. The problem isn't guns themselves, it's the handful of idiots who don't use them properly. Anything that powerful can be a valuable asset if you use it properly or it can be a form of neatly packaged death if you act irresponsible. That's why unlicensed people aren't allowed to drive.

I'm pro-gun all the way. I own 7 myself (but then again, I am from Alabama
).

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
The whole debate is rather stupid!

The founding fathers set up a system based on tri-elements, Fed, State and "we the people"

For the system to work and function "we the people" need to be armed without restriction.

Now, if the anti-gun lobby want to change that, then they need to set up a completely new system. New constitution,new laws, everything new, without the people being armed. That is the only proper way to make the changes they want.

The only thing stopping the NWO at this time is the guns in the hands of "we the people"

One thing the founding fathers stuffed up on, and stuffed up big time was that,:

A person who lies to "We the People" in a democracy has committed a crime agains democracy, against the very fabric of your society. They should be serving a life sentence in prison.

Pity!

P

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

I'm neither pro or anti gun. I just don't think "EVERYONE" has the right to a gun, much like I don't think "EVERYONE" has the right to operate a motor vehicle.

Last time I checked, the Supreme Court looked into this issue and ruled that the U.S. Constitution guarantees an individual right to gun ownership.

Well see, that means crazy insane people and criminals all have a right to own a gun.

There has to be some rationality to the system. A gun registry? Nah, that's not going to work and doesn't address the illegal guns at all. But to sit here and demand that everyone have access to guns is pure insanity, I believe it should be a licensed deal just like a car.

Sure, idiots will always have access to guns. But guess what, guess where most of those guns used in crimes are coming from? The ones not supplied to the criminals by Fast and furious, are coming from legal gun owners just like you.

There has to be middle ground to let you keep your guns and passion, and to also help ensure those who would misuse them, can't gain easy legal access to the

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I agree with what you said except for this.

The ones not supplied to the criminals by Fast and furious, are coming from legal gun owners just like you.

Some may have originally have been bought by law abiding gun owners and then they were illegally stolen. Are there people legally buying guns and then turning around and selling them on the street, yes of course but the moment they do that they are no longer considered a law abiding gun owner. Myself and all of the responsible gun owners out there that I know all keep our firearms locked up tight and if one or more were to be stolen it would get reported right away.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I have found this to be relatively effective when arguing gun rights.

Gun Facts v6.0

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Guns are purchased with the intent to shoot.

Whether in murderous aggression, or "self defense", every gun is purchased with the intent to shoot. Therefore, those who wish to own guns wish to use guns. Make them illegal.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Those who have guns are less easily controlled by government.
Every dictatorship I have heard of outlaws guns first.

The reason we were not invaded after Pearl Harbor is because the Japanese knew there would be "... a gun behind every blade of grass."

The framers of our independence were as much afraid of their own government as they were of foreign enemies. That is why we have the Second Amendment,

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by mal1970
I have found this to be relatively effective when arguing gun rights.

Gun Facts v6.0

Wow, that's alot of information. Thank you for posting that. I'm going to take my time and read it all tonight.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof

Whether in murderous aggression, or "self defense", every gun is purchased with the intent to shoot. Therefore, those who wish to own guns wish to use guns. Make them illegal.

I don't believe that just because a gun shoots that it is meant to kill. There are alot of firearm owners who do nothing but recreational shooting with them. But, you have your opinions and I respect that. I won't try to change your mind. Thank you for sharing.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

That is the worst reasoning on the topic that I've ever seen in print. Congratulations.
You win the most irrational post award for the month of April! Just caught it at the tail end!

For the record, I'm a gun owner and the only things I'd "wish" to shoot are waterfowl, some hogs, and maybe a deer if I feel like freezing my butt off next hunting season.
As for handguns, I very strongly "wish" to never have to use them against anything but a paper target at the range. Sometimes wishes don't come true which is why personal firearms are necessary to begin with.

edit on 30-4-2012 by pierregustavetoutant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

How can you call a post irrational then agree with it a few lines down.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I'm pro-gun, pro-gun rights.
I'm also anti-idiot, thus I'm pro-firearms education.

I have a thread on ATS discussing the futility of those who complain about the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution.
Feel free to take a gander, if you're so inclined:

I'm So Tired of Hearing People Protest About Gun Ownership

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Don't hide behind me when you want someone to stand up for you in a firefight.

If they are illegal, and criminal people (or our government which is pretty much the same) still have them, who's screwed now?

Don't pretend for a second that you are smarter than the founders of this nation.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Yes, I intend to shoot every single one of my guns. But my intent is to shoot targets, not people unless I have no other option. I have carried a firearm on my most of my adult life. I have been in many a situation where the use of my weapon would have been well within my legal right. I chose to use other methods to quell the situation. I have only shot 1 person outside of my military service. And that was because he broke into my home and tried to attack me when he was confronted. He lived.
Next time you become the victim of a crime-DO NOT CALL THE POLICE. They have guns and you want guns to be illegal. Stand behind what you believe in firmly.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by UKmonster
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

How can you call a post irrational then agree with it a few lines down.

Huh?
2nd

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing
Those who have guns are less easily controlled by government.
Every dictatorship I have heard of outlaws guns first.

I cant believe that people still repeat the same 'false' statement.
Just to look at the 3rd Reich, the NRA fans and others always claim that Hitler took the guns away. Absolutely false. i am originally from Europe and I grew up with guns, I love guns even and can spend hours ate a gun show, war museum etc. Weapns fascinate me. However I absolutely dislike the USA way of going about gun ownership.
Back to the 3rd Reich.
Neither Germany nor Austria, the two becoming ONE after 38, had a people standing naked without guns. Guns can be found everywhere. I trained 1st on air rifle at a altar boy summer camp at age 8. Any scout camp, church camp etc has guns to educate young people intheir use, Air rifles and 22.cal
Actually in most parts of Europe the ownership of a 22.cal, even semi automatic one, - we talk rifles here, - not pistols and conceiled hand guns - is FREE without the need of a liscence. .223 and this stuff that requires a liscence.
In Nazi Germany, guns were in the hand of hunters and game wardens, Now Americans understand a "Game warden" as someone who patorls a national park. However in Europe a farmer who has maybe a 1 acre patch of forest on his property is responsible for the game in this small path of woods, and thus also is a gun owner and "Game Warden".
Additionally int he alpine regions of Europe, Southern France, Switzerland, Austria and so on, "Poaching" is kind of a national sport. My dad was one of the best in this field. So the acuracy of those "gun owners" aim is quite remarcable. So If there had been a political will to revolt against Hitler on a mass scale or with a mass movement, the Germans would have had enough guns to do the job!
A few 100 years further back: Remember the French revolution? Sticks and pitchforks! And it also worked!
What makes gun owner ship in Europe so different to the USA is the licening requirments. My class mate and friend who took over the family farm at age 18 after the death of his father went to a 9 months!!! course to get his game warden permit, - yes 2 acres of a bit of trees on his property. And this paper/permit or what ever you call it permits him to own any caliber above 22LR. It is a safety course, a course in seasons on when to hunt and when not to hunt specific game and more. It is also a course in how and when to use ones personal guns in a political crisis, in a situation of a mobilized posse for escaped criminals and so forth.
What Europe does NOT have is conceiled weapons and hand guns, except for specific professions. This means under cover detectives, money curriers and so forth. But in all logic there is in our understanding no use for a handgun under normal circumstances. Your right to carry a conceiled weapon might be limited to the hours of your actual job only. WhenI was a boy back then, the mail man would carry on every 1st of the month the actual pension fund for his pensioners on his route in CASH in his bag, And most carried each 1st of the month their conceiled handgun.
Also to consider is a fact that Europe is quite densely populated. We do not have 100 miled to the next town and just praries in between. The problem with gun ownership in Europe is not how to shoot, its the situation awareness as to what can go wrong when you MISS.
I cannot understand that so many pro gun supporters have also military service beind them and do not put 2+2 together. Think back at your own service time. How many hours days and even weeks did you spend lerning just your basig persnal weapons? From ripping them to pieces blindfolded to cleaning them and reassemblig them, over and over again. proper safety proceedures, when to arm when to lock and so forth! So why should the avergae joe then just can walk in and buy a gun and be considered safe?
Its not the question as to how many people have guns, its the wuestions how many idiots have the so called RIGHT to gain access to them.
And for dictatorships. ANY revolution succeds only then when the people WANT to revolt, regardless of the availability of guns or their absence. Maybe people should read up a bit in the hand books of partisans, revolutionaries and terrorists. One of the key dogmas of any revolutionary is that one does not NEED a gun, it is given to you by the dead enemy! Becaue in order to make a revolution or insurgency successful, the absence of weapon ship ments on the radar of intelligence entities is the sure fire success for a surprise attack.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Guns are also used for sport, such as target shooting, hunting, etc.

Gun ownership is not illegal.....and it never will be.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join