It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Slander of Mary Magdelene

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I WAS FINISHED WITH A HOOKER AND TOSSED HER A HUNDRED DOLLAR BILL.

SHE SAID "DON'T THROW MONEY AT ME LIKE i'M SOME KIND OF WHORE!

CHEERS!

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biliverdin
reply to post by BIHOTZ

These women were often highly prized later as wives once their service to the goddess had been completed, virgin, at that time, only meant unmarried, it didn't carry to moral undertones that it does today,

Yes, for example the Vestal Virgins in the Roman empire. But there were many many more of those cults in Greece, Egypt and way back to the Sumerians, most of them originated in mystery religions like the famous Isis mysteries or the Ishtar cult.

The priestesses of those cults did some sort of sexual practice in the temple, although it is hard to tell today what these practices really looked like. In the ancient Ishtar cult for example they had spiritual knowledge about those things that got forgotten over time, knowledge from the mystery schools like what they call Hieros gamos, or sacred marriage.

en.wikipedia.org...

Of course most of historians don´t know what to make out of this, so they call it "symbolic" when in fact it was not. But it is possible this knowledge got lost and turned into temple prostitution at some point, when this happend is almost impossible to tell, as even the ancient historians didn´t understand those mystery cults at all. Which is normal as they were mystery cults, the knowledge was only accessible to those initiated.
edit on 2-5-2012 by gnostician because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
In church as a child, I was led to believe Mary a whore as well. When trying to find scripture on it, the only negatives about her I can find is that Jesus cast some demons out of her. Unless one of those was the "demon of prostitution" or something, I'm at a complete loss. Thoughts?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Orthodox Christianity has never proclaimed Mary Magdalene a whore. There are more Catholics than the Romans so please, be specific when you speak against Catholics in general (those of us who give a hoot will appreciate it).

Here's some things you may not know:

Traditional Christianity venerates her as a Saint and have churches named in her honor.

We call her the Myrrh-Bearer (her icon often pictures her with a jar of it). And also say that she is "equal with the Apostles" because she was the Apostle to the Apostles, the first Apostle.

Tradition holds that we dye eggs red because of a miracle associated with her and that she died in Ephesus assisting the Apostle John (the Evangelist).

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Biliverdin

The problem is, a lot of these assumptions about Mary Magdalene are just that assumptions.

As you know we can thank Pope Gregory the Great for branding Mary Magdalene as a prostitute.

In Luke 7 there is a story of the “sinful” woman who crashes a dinner party at the home of Simon the Pharisee and anoints Jesus’ feet with ointment and her tears, and dries them with her hair. Mary Magdalene, along with some other women is mentioned..

Pope Gregory assumed that the sinful woman and Mary Magdalene were the same person, and thus a legend was born.

Nowhere in Scripture does it say or suggest that Mary Magdalene was guilty of immorality or prostitution.

But that doesn’t mean that Mary Magdalene didn’t have some “issues” of another kind in her life that Jesus helped her with..

God usually chooses the unlikely ones, like Mary Magdalene, someone who had been possessed by demons, to show that God comes not to those who deserve it most, but those who need it most.

If anyone understood the brokenness of the world and how much the world needs a Savior, it would be someone porobley like Mary Magdalene.

I believe that there was a romantic relationship between Jesus and Mary Magdeline. I believe that there were a lot of changes made to the bible by clergy in the past in order for their own personal benefits.

I enjoyed this thread thanks for posting it..peace,sugarcookie1 S&F

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkcaw
Orthodox Christianity has never proclaimed Mary Magdalene a whore. There are more Catholics than the Romans so please, be specific when you speak against Catholics in general (those of us who give a hoot will appreciate it).

I know that Eastern Orthodoxy doesn't have such beliefs, but I was in attendence on Easter day of an Anglo-Catholic service, and that is the sermon that I describe, and it was that that inspired this thread. So while I agree with you, you must also understand that it was Roman Catholicism that spawned many of the protestant faiths also, therefore, it's effect is pretty far reaching.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Hi sugarcookie1, I don't know whether there was a romantic relationship between Mary and Jesus, but clearly, from the Pistis Sophia, there was one of mutual respect and affection...the rest, as they say, is their business. Whatever their relationship it is apparent that Gergory sought to undermine that influence, and that that coincided with the great heresies, and the persecution of the gnostics, which permitted women to teach and preach scripture is telling, in my opinion.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The Gospel of Thomas is proving highly insightful into the mystery of Mary Magdalene, and as to why she represented such a threat to the patriarchy of the Roman church. Something is apparent, and that is that there has been a gradual and systematic hunting down of those versions of events that contradict established doctrine and canon law. And, particularly, the way in which the Roman church, rather surreptitiously, changed their tact about Mary being a whore, seems to be telling. They admitted they were wrong, but only amongst themselves, allowing the protestant faiths, knowing that their doctrine was inherited from that basis, to continue the myth.

There is something very passive aggressive about that.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
This is a very interesting passage from the Gospel of Thomas...

114) Simon Peter said to Him, "Let Mary leave us, for women are
not worthy of Life."

Jesus said, "I myself shall lead her in order to make her
male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you
males. For every woman who will make herself male will enter the
Kingdom of Heaven."

www.sacred-texts.com...

What is particularly interesting, when reading the coptic texts, is what an arse Peter comes across as being. I wonder whether, in the sense of the patriarchy of the Roman Church, that the slander of Mary Magdalen was an inheritance from Peter. He clearly had issues with Mary, jealousies. What is also apparent, is that Peter, was not amongst the inner circle of Jesus, he was not one of his intimate companions. Though he was, clearly, a very dominant character amongst the wider group, he never seemed to fully understand, in the way that others did, the core priniciples of the metaphysics and cosmology of Jesus's teachings.

From the Gospel of Mary...

3) Peter answered and spoke concerning these same things.
4) He questioned them about the Savior: Did He really speak privately with a woman and not openly to us? Are we to turn about and all listen to her? Did He prefer her to us?
5) Then Mary wept and said to Peter, My brother Peter, what do you think? Do you think that I have thought this up myself in my heart, or that I am lying about the Savior?
6) Levi answered and said to Peter, Peter you have always been hot tempered.
7) Now I see you contending against the woman like the adversaries.
8) But if the Savior made her worthy, who are you indeed to reject her? Surely the Savior knows her very well.
9) That is why He loved her more than us. Rather let us be ashamed and put on the perfect Man, and separate as He commanded us and preach the gospel, not laying down any other rule or other law beyond what the Savior said.
10) And when they heard this they began to go forth to proclaim and to preach.

www.gnosis.org...

edit on 29-5-2012 by Biliverdin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I have been reading about an interesting contemporary perspective on Jesus and Mary from Tau Malachi in his book 'Living Gnosis: A Practical Guide to Gnostic Christianity'. He works with the tradition of Mary as a prostitute, or rather that she had been promised by her father in marriage to a Babylonian merchant, but the caravan in which she is travelling in is attacked by robbers and instead she is sold into sexual slavery, and though she escapes, she is left filled with anger and rage by this experience. In a dream she is told that she should go to the land of her birth, and seek out the annointed one. To cut a long story short, it is these feelings of hatred and rage, at her exploitation and experience that represent the seven demons that Jesus casts out of her.

Really this is by the by though, what it reminded me of, or rather points out, is what little choice Mary had in her own destiny, until she joins with Jesus's band. As did any woman at that time. Had she been a prostitute it was unlikely to have been by her choice. Unless she choose death or rape as punishment for disobeying either her male relatives, or her male captors. If you have no choice, but to do or die, is it sinful or shameful? In my opinion no, well certainly not your sin or shame. And there is again something fundamental in all this, why is it, when in most instances, prostitution in those times, and certainly by the Byzantine period, was a heriditary profession, that you were born into, or as often sold into as a child, is it the victim that was made to wear the shame, and not her customers?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Well the pope himself is just a man, no different than any common whore thats' for sure.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The bottom line is that all of these Abrahamic religions oppress, degrade and marginalize women. I think it may stem psychologically from a male mind that is covertly homosexual and is in conflict with itself, unable or unwilling to embrace it's own gayness always trying to prove it's own masculinity, it's facade of heterosexuality. So hence those affllicted with this disordered mentallity ,see women as a rememberance or their (the male autocrat's) self-percieved inadequacy and that is why they hate women.

It is time for the feminine energy. These Abrahamic religions have long stood as one of the pillars of humanities oppression...they need to go away and let the people be free. PEACE.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DasFox
I WAS FINISHED WITH A HOOKER AND TOSSED HER A HUNDRED DOLLAR BILL.

SHE SAID "DON'T THROW MONEY AT ME LIKE i'M SOME KIND OF WHORE!

CHEERS!

Do you think that women who are forced into prostitution is funny? Do you think that a fellow human being who is forced to sell thier own body to put food on the table is funny? I don't think your freakin funny at all. You need a good SKEEAV ! Be respectful of women, they are your sisters, mothers, daughters and wives! What the hell is da matta wid you! RESPECT!

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by HEYJOSE

Do any of the ancient religions or their offshoots take an egalitarian view of women? I understand what you are saying but I think it goes further than the Abrahamics.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join