It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The coming collapse: what should one expect? How does one survive?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I'll try to keep this short: I'm looking for input on what we should expect in the years following the inevitable global economic collapse. EDIT TO ADD: I'm not asking for help with my personal plan, but with knowing what to expect from *everyone else* in terms of when the markets get back up and running, when global goods transport starts again.

I have a simple plan for my family: enough food to last a few months, a hefty gas-powered tiller and enough gas to power it for a few acres, and a bug-out plan to go live with my husband's family out in the country about 45 minutes from here, with a few acres of arable land, a well, and some small livestock. This could keep us in food and water and shelter for however long we need it to, but it's the details I'm wondering about: how long will the global gas supply be unavailable and/or unaffordable for farming purposes (eg: do I need to get a horse and old-style tiller for the following years?)? How long until larger-scale farming and goods transport gets back up and running, and I could expect to be able to buy things like flour and coffee and whatnot?

In short, when you think "SHTF" what are you talking about in terms of long-term prospects? How long will the depression last this time? How do you think it will affect us on a granular level, as in day-to-day transactions? Taking into consideration the sheer amount of debt and derivatives out there, do you see a global reset and global currency as the only inevitable outcome? If so, does that get us back up quicker, or does that start a revolution and rebellion against it?
edit on 29-4-2012 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

You need enough nutrition to get through transition and stabilization.

There are dozens of grasses that you can live on.

Personally, I will get away from cities. 3 days without supply will deplete the inventory everywhere and then people will start hurting each other.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I recommend the same thing, get the hell out of the city if you live in one. That is a bad place to be. Take whatever you can and get out. If you have some prior warning, take the car and get out. If there comes a time when all of the streets are trying to get out, make sure you know some back roads out of the city, as main routes will be decimated.

Weapons, just in case. You have to protect yourself and your family, and any able bodied person able to point and shoot in the household should have have weapons. But love thy neighbour, don't shoot first.

You have everything you need pretty much, what kind of well? is it a deep well or a shallow well? shallow ones are easier to get water from manually. I suggest if you have the money to equip the home with solar panels and some deep cycle batteries, to power some things you might need in the home. Propane. Propane coleman stoves are excellent to have as well, no electricity required. Takes awhile to boil though.

I suspect that it will only take a few weeks to get some sort of infrastructure back up and running. Once the freak out of the system crashing is dealt with. Hopefully during this period, we have some help in these matters. I think people will take it into their own hands as long as people don't panic. Military is still there, even in a collapse, if they care about the people then they will be there to help protect, especially in the cities. It depends on what kind of exterior help we're getting, you never know who could be out there helping us along our way. I suspect there is a body of people waiting for the dark cabal to be taken down, and they will come forward when the time is needed and help us along our way. It depends on what sources you believe, and what your intuition tells you. I hope for the best, i have to get out of the city pretty quick. I have enough food in here to last awhile (canned goods have piled up) maybe two months if stretched i suppose. But i wont be staying here. I'll be getting out to my buddies place, loading the cars up with all the weapons and food he has, and heading out to the woods. We got a place.(if it really is that bad)
edit on 29/4/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

Yeah, I hear that, and it's good info----but I'm not really asking for help in making my personal plan, but rather what I can expect from the economy and market on a smaller scale----what will be on the market shelves two years out from the collapse? Will there be markets at all? Will we already be back to TV dinners? That's what I'm looking for.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
My take on it is, when the real poop hits it will never be the same from that point forward. We won't go back to what we know maybe our children will but we won't see it. If I were you I would get that horse.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Well I suppose you should know the truth.

3 days or 9 meals away from anarchy.

15 days from cannibalism.

1st wave of deaths at 7 days. Lack of water.

2nd wave of deaths from water borne parasites at 27 days

3rd wave at 45-60 days from starvation.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
Well I suppose you should know the truth.

3 days or 9 meals away from anarchy.

15 days from cannibalism.

1st wave of deaths at 7 days. Lack of water.

2nd wave of deaths from water borne parasites at 27 days

3rd wave at 45-60 days from starvation.

Grim truth....

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Thats nice

Me well i plan on dropping by with my gun and asking you nicely to lend me some food to keep me going if the army or police have not already paid you a visit and cleaned you out.

Better to die than let the bankers take our money and turn those that are left into slaves or allow a police state so i will be fighting anyway and every way i can.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

I totally agree with all this, and have it all (minus the solar), but the bigger question I'm asking is: HOW MUCH? How many years/months/decades supply of propane do I need to make it through, or should I be planning on something much more sustainable in the long-term? Are we talking about getting through 2-5 years of hardship, or are we talking about 30 years of boiling water for baths?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Master_007

Well, you can drop by with your gun and be greeted by 10 shotguns in your face, LOL. A country boy can survive.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

Totally! You are correct. Now, for those who survive that initial scourge of death, do you see "things" getting back to normal in 10 years, 30 years, 100 years? What will be the new normal for the first decade?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

I totally agree with all this, and have it all (minus the solar), but the bigger question I'm asking is: HOW MUCH? How many years/months/decades supply of propane do I need to make it through, or should I be planning on something much more sustainable in the long-term? Are we talking about getting through 2-5 years of hardship, or are we talking about 30 years of boiling water for baths?

Hmm, thats a good question my friend.. over the long term would be fairly hard, expensive to have so much propane. in which case. Just get a wood stove. A wood stove is the best thing you could get for long term sustaining. It heats. It boils. It cooks. It uses wood. I suspect that there is a lot of wood in your area?

That negates the expensve of 2 - 5 years of propane. As long as you have wood to put in it. A woodstove can keep you going as long as you have dry wood and something to ignite it (i suggest swedish firesteel, or something similar)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

Set yourself up so that you don't have to rely on anything or anyone for anything.
Get books on medicine. Herbal remedies, EMT stuff. Finding a doc may be a long shot.
Make sure you're self-reliant on food, clothing, toiletries.
Toilet paper, little things you normally don't think about, need to be stocked up.

In my humble opinion.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I, too, am curious. I was looking for the same answer myself and logged on here and immediately saw this thread. I could maybe make 2 weeks but that's about it. Living paycheck to paycheck doesn't leave much left over for extra supplies. I would like to move to the country but South Florida doesn't have much country to it.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Right on, just read your edit and this post as well. So yeah, at your buddy's place: do you plan on having a horse and till, or are your preparations more short-term, depending on the quick regathering of infrastructure like you're talking about?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Totally! You are correct. Now, for those who survive that initial scourge of death, do you see "things" getting back to normal in 10 years, 30 years, 100 years? What will be the new normal for the first decade?

Experts feel that it will be +2 years before we see localized order restored in any capacity. And expect it to be close to a feudal state.

They feel any govt that can not respond to the needs of the people and restore food and supplies within 5 days will be cast aside. Thats going to mean addressing the issues in the first 2-3 days and responding within 5.

I just dont see it. Not from any country.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Absolutely---that's just good survivalism. But, for example, when you say "clothing" what do you mean----clothes for the next few years, or fabric supplies for the next generation, or a loom because the textile industry will be 100 years in coming back?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Thank you! Good info. Is there a source where I can read in further detail? I'm interested in what they mean by "localized order".

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Absolutely---that's just good survivalism. But, for example, when you say "clothing" what do you mean----clothes for the next few years, or fabric supplies for the next generation, or a loom because the textile industry will be 100 years in coming back?

Plan on a few years. Patches/fabric for clothing. Larger sizes for children.

If it comes to many years, then buckskin cotuire will be back in style.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
You think that after TSHTF that you'll be able to buy flour and coffee and whatnot?

I think that might be a very big flaw to your plan.

Coffee is imported from far flung places, not likely would be getting any any time soon after a collapse.

You want flour? I'd get some mill stones.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join