It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life Is Suffering

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Recently I have been getting into Buddhism more again. I was quite into it in the past, and it has recently been interesting me again. I just got some inspiration to write about the four noble truths. In this OP I just write about the first noble truth, to keep it somewhat short. Something to note: 'Life is suffering' should not be seen as pessimistic. Through understanding its nature, you can come to understand both how it is undeniable, as well as how it can be entirely transcended. I will post my further writings on this topic in this thread, most likely.

The Truth Of Dukkha - Life Is Suffering

Dukkha, commonly translated as suffering, has three meanings, or comes in three forms. One is the dukkha of suffering, in the typical sense of physical or mental anguish. The second is the dukkha of change. The third is the dukkha of pervasive conditioning.

The first form of dukkha, typical suffering, is our most instinctual understanding of dukkha. It is clear to any conscious being, when this occurs, that they do not want this. This is a universally found indication of the nature of conscious beings to seek happiness and avoid suffering.

The second form of dukkha, change, is very counter-intuitive to what we anticipate when we hear buddhists talk about how life is suffering. This form of dukkha actually most particularly refers to what we consider to be happiness and pleasure. This directly relates to the concept of impermanence. Because all things are impermanent, or subject to change, anything that causes happiness or pleasure is dukkha, because within it is the seed that will bring forth sadness of loss. Happiness and pleasure, in the typical sense, is dependent on some object to bring it about. These are not eternal, and when these conditions that brought about your happiness cease to be, you will feel loss and despair. Thus even what we call happiness is, in truth, 'suffering', or dukkha.

The third form of dukkha is pervasive conditioning. This is where you find yourself having experiences and acting in ways that are purely the result of past conditioning. When you are ruled by past conditioning, you are completely out of touch with your true nature, and thus there can be no true happiness. This form of dukkha is the most fundamental, because it is the cause of all dukkha. Everything that has been conditioned into you are limited and false notions about reality, or ignorance. Suffering comes through resistance, and resistance can only come about when there is separation, or at least the perception of it. Separation is not an inherent quality, but rather something that is acquired and created as a result of conditioning. When you remove your conditioning, and your mental constructs, then the illusion of separation is removed, and thus there is no possibility for resistance, and then there is no outlet for dukkha to arise.
edit on 29-4-2012 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
it is your mind that is suffering. if you have no mind, then what?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I don't think there is a human without a mind!!
All humans are conditioned. The trick is to see the conditioned mind, to watch what it does.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Mind can be seen with two interpretations. One is a 'formless' awareness which all thoughts and perceptions come into existence through, but is distinct from them, in that it is what they come into existence through, rather than the things themselves, and is free of all identification. It is good that we get in touch with this. The other is not actually an inherently existing thing, but rather a sequence of thoughts and feelings that we come to identify with. This is what we 'should' seek to remove, so we can get in touch with the first 'mind.' This second type of mind requires space to come into existence, because it is not an inherently existing thing, but rather a sequence. Sequences exist in time, not now. Yes, you must watch the way your time-oriented sequential mind works, very intently. Do this enough, and get to the root of it, and you can discover the first 'mind' I spoke of, which is your true nature.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I may as well post what else I have written on this topic so far...at least it's not in the OP...

The Truth Of The Cause Of Dukkha

I spoke of the resistence that comes about through apparent separation. I also spoke of how that is not an inherent quality of existence, but rather our own creation. This is related to the buddhist idea of no-self, or not-self, variously translated. ‘Self’ inherently implies other, and it is this inital perception of self-hood, and its implied separation, that brings resistence into being, thereby bringing about dukkha.

Ignorance is the cause of all suffering. As a result of our ignorance, we do not understand the nature of all things as impermanent. Because we do not fully grasp impermanence, we crave things that we do not have, and attach to things that we do have. This craving, this attachment, is the cause of suffering, according to buddhism. Also because of our ignorance, and really a similar mechanism of attachment, we become identified with certain thoughts and perceptions, and build a notion of self around them.

Because of impermanence, anything we could possibly enjoy will eventually be lost. If we attach to something, that inherently plants the seeds of sorrow. Lasting happiness is impossible if there is attachment. Another form of the same basic mechanism is the craving of that which we do not have. Although it is common to basically all of us, when we analyze it in the way we have been it is ridiculous at its onset. With attachment to what we have, our future suffering is assured. With craving what we do not have, our suffering is instantaneous. When seen in this light, the very act of craving can be seen as absurd. Nonetheless, we have much momentum built that carries on this foolish habit, and we must therefore work to eradicate these habits, while simultaneously working to understand reality as it is, and remove the ignorance that allows for all of this to come into existence in the first place.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Why should life be suffering?

If you can attain a point where 90% of your days on earth are happy, how have you suffered?

A broken mind, negative self talk, repeating negative patterns, living up to your past, rehashing the past, and general outlook on life will induce 'suffering'.

The strange thing about the 'life is suffering' mantra of SOME Buddhists is they gave the state of life a LABEL (suffering). If you were at peace in everything you do in every waking minute and confident in yourself with no fear, then 'suffering' is just a word.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by PaxVeritas
Why should life be suffering?

If you can attain a point where 90% of your days on earth are happy, how have you suffered?

A broken mind, negative self talk, repeating negative patterns, living up to your past, rehashing the past, and general outlook on life will induce 'suffering'.

The strange thing about the 'life is suffering' mantra of SOME Buddhists is they gave the state of life a LABEL (suffering). If you were at peace in everything you do in every waking minute and confident in yourself with no fear, then 'suffering' is just a word.

As I said in the OP, 'suffering' in the english sense of the word is only one of three forms of dukkha, the original word. This is why I used the word dukkha repeatedly, so that the reader would try to understand the word's original meaning, as opposed to projecting our understanding of the english word suffering. Anything that does not last forever, including things that make us happy, is DUKKHA, though not 'suffering' in the english sense of the word. It is important to have an understanding of the original meaning of words when you are dealing with translations, which is why I wrote OP, to describe what is meant by dukkha, typically translated 'suffering.'

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
would the enlightened dwell on suffering? nope - only respectfully acknowledge it in the scheme of kamm - action & effect

the suffering, though soulds negative in Western view, is it not a rite of passage onto anatta - in a sense, sacrifice, challenge?

for surely, we cannot expect to non-exist in the first place, right?

as then we would have learnt nothing nor be nothing.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TheJourney

You do not have to quiet the mind, just notice the quiet that contains the mind.
youtu.be...

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture
would the enlightened dwell on suffering? nope - only respectfully acknowledge it in the scheme of kamm - action & effect

the suffering, though soulds negative in Western view, is it not a rite of passage onto anatta - in a sense, sacrifice, challenge?

for surely, we cannot expect to non-exist in the first place, right?

as then we would have learnt nothing nor be nothing.

'Suffering' is something that we actively create. It does not inherently exist. If we understand the nature of 'suffering,' dukkha, and how it comes into existence, we can be entirely freed of it. If you do not understand what dukkha is, and how it works, you will not even know what to look for, and you will be trapped in it. Through truly understanding it, and actively applying this knowledge moment to moment, we can be freed of it. This is why Buddhism and its teachings on dukkha is in no way pessimistic, but rather incredibly optimistic. Most thought denies the existence of dukkha, and does not understand it. Though acknowledging it may seem to be pessimistic, it is the most optimistic thing that could be, because if you understand it you can see how it is possible for it to be entirely transcended.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
The mind is not a problem when it is seen and known. Unfortunately most don't see the mind. They don't see it because they believe it is their self that is thinking. They don't realize that the mind is just another appearance appearing.
The mind appears as a thought arising presently. When you locate yourself as the witness, all appearances are seen to be arising from stillness.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   

that dukodiki is not stupid but let me arrange it for u

truth is freedom value as a plus always right to exist

when as free u can plus what u see before ur eyes, plusing urself freedom is the fact

bc truth is freedom then individual suffer is slavery condition, which is humans condition witnessing its slavery and impotency to do any about, that can become hell condition of those creepy gods can also condition free space out of nothing existence

unfortunately truth is never one bc plus by definition is never one, but truth must become one only to achieve those gods achieve in french meaning, demolish till their last drop of energy

that is why when on the contrary u resist to a clear command coming from else, u feel happy afterwards more light to go anywhere that u couldnt think of before, so a sense of existing in some sort

that is why when u dont accept hypocrit words of others to b little u behind urself face, in the same tone of fun that they mean to force u to, u become a leader or a businessman or any kind of successful figure in the world

that is why patience and persistence pay at the end to an edge never expected as getting it all
there is never half win when there is a winner
and that is why winning arguments is a field that a lot live through

so

what u mean is a sense of suffer but not true suffer that a lot endure really n consciously

a sense of suffer infliged by truth to what mean to live constant from getting to live, while truth is stopping that in a way serving suffers rights

u dont suffer when u refuse to b urself real, on the contrary it is where u r the most free in keeping meaning what is infront of u being object things to use

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
The human condition is suffering. It is the conditioning that causes the suffering. The 'conditioning' is the program that is running in the mind. The mind is dualistic, one minute it says this, the next it says that, it can't make it's mind up.
Most people talk continuously after learning language, whether there is someone to talk to or not, even when the mouth is shut the chatter continues incessantly in the head. It is this noise in the head that causes distress, the voice is either a bully or a victim, and flips from one to the other.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Itisnowagain, I like what you say, as well as the video you linked, about the mind and thoughts not really being a problem, but moreso getting lost in them as opposed to the emptiness or space or silence or whatever you would like to call it behind them. In periods that I was doing particularly well in terms of my consciousness, being in high states of consciousness, I noticed no resistance to my thoughts. It was more like there was no difference between my thoughts and my perceptions. Just as I shuffle through various sights and sounds throughout my life, so to do I shuffle through thoughts. No difference. The thoughts are just part of the process, and can be equally enjoyable to be immersed into as perceptions or feelings.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

The mind is often seen as the enemy and many people have heard about the 'silence' and think that silence is the way. Silence is the peace that every human is looking for, peace of mind. It is eay to think that the way to that peace is by silencing the mind. It becomes a goal but it also becomes very frustrating because as the video says, it is impossible to quiet the mind. In fact if you believe your mind is a problem and you want rid of it then that is a problem. The suffering is caused by 'not wanting' as much as it is caused by 'wanting'.
When you can recognize yourself as the silent space in which all appearances appear and disappear (including thought, sensation, sound, sight) you will know a peace that surpasses all understanding.
It is your true nature.

The best we can do is not mind what appears:
youtu.be...
edit on 29-4-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Very well said, thanks for the inspiration

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Life is suffering because their is not a thing alive that does not take advantage of another living creatures disadvantage. Plants feed on dirt and sunlight because that's all they can do. Herbovores feed on plants because plants are abundant and easy. Carnivores feed on herbavores because they are abundant and because they are not as agressive ie dangerous, meaning less likely they will be injured. Omnivores feed on both to increase chances of survival in almost any situation or environment. It's a chain that says one creature has to suffer to keep another alive. Life is suffering.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Manunnaki

The circle of life is beautiful but humans see it as suffering. Only humans want to escape death and that is the cause of human mind made suffering. Suffering ends when you die, but life is not suffering unless you believe it is.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Ofcourse life is beautiful. Life is also violent and destructive. For something to be created something has to be destroyed. We wouldn't be here had a star not exploded. The earth wouldn't be the way it is without asteroids and comets mashing into it. Your body wouldn't get it's energy without crushing and grinding on plants and animals. So when you say life is suffering your seeing the otherside. Violence is beautiful. Ever watched a good midevil sword fight?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
There will always be appearances and disappearances. Things come and things go. You will experience things appearing like a leaf on a tree, or the birth of a baby, or a thought, or a cloud but none of the appearances last.
However, what they appear to is eternal!!!
edit on 29-4-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join