It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New US palm Take down Ak 47 project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Hey guys I just wanted to share one of the new weapons coming out this year with you. This is an AK 47 made by US palm.

Now if you look closely you'll notice that the barrel is not attached to the rifle in this photo. If you look even closer you will notice that there is a set of interrupted threads on the barrel, and the trunnion has an obvious push button on it.

The reason for this is simple. This is a takedown AK. For those that don't know what a takedown rifle is, it's a rifle that you can easily remove the barrel assembly from in order to make the weapon easier to pack in a backpack or suitcase. Now I personally think this is a brilliant aftermarket modification that is of real value to most of us sport shooters. Imagine being able to go to the range without having to have big bulky cases that practically say steal me right on the side of them. Instead you could have basically any old backpack holding your rifle quietly and neatly where it is less likely to gain the attention of thieves.

Now onto the sad part of the story. Right now US palm is quoting prices of "under 2 grand" for these guns when they come out in the 3rd quarter of this year. And they are also saying they won't be offering matched trunnion and barrel sets for those of us with ak's already that just want to buy the parts not a whole new gun. The good news is I checked google patents and US palm doesn't seem to have patented this system. Probably due to the fact that it's a well known method of making a break down weapon first patented in the 1890's. So for any of you home machinists it would be possible to just build your own.

Anyway let me know what you guys think of this project and or of any other improvements you'd personally like to see a gun manufacturer make to your favorite gun.

YT vid with still pictures of relevant parts and good demo video

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Can I have real mixed feelings? On one hand....I WANT ONE! After dumping my lemon of an AR- last year, I've been looking for an AK- platform that isn't built from East Euro junk. They see to be rather hard to find....

On the other hand, couldn't they wait until..say..December? IE..AFTER the election? In a world of people thinking sport shooting, this is a wonderful development for easy carry to and from my truck at the range. One of them is a good 1/4 mile hike up from here I park. I'd love the compactness. However, to the anti-gunners who have more power than we do right now, this is an assassin's weapon..or if they aren't thinking Hollywood movie, then it can easily be called a mass shooter's perfect addition to the tool box. Literally...fitting right in the 'ol tool box.

Let's hope the price tag puts it out of range of most people who really aren't safe to have a potato gun, let alone a high end Black Rifle.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by roguetechie

I would love one of those! I really like the low profile modular features.

Of course, I'd like any sort of low profile weapon. The compactness seems so utilitarian that it's hard to turn it down.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Nice. That just screams "bug out bag compatible" to me.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Rabbit,

Honestly to me this rifle is about as sporting as it gets. It's been redesigned to make it more utilitarian for range days, but who knows what the trunnion change would mean in actual combat? It's all well and good to have your barrel sitting in a pouch at the range but militant types are so focused on keeping their weapons cocked and locked at all times that I doubt this would appeal to them.

As far as everything else you said goes, this rifle is most likely going to be priced out of most people's price ranges. Beings as they are quoting a price of "under 2 grand" right now that to me says more than one thousand but less than 2 is the likely price point.

Honestly it's inspired me to look into doing something like that for myself ... I'm now in the early stages of gathering the research I'd need to try and design something similar and have it built. Honestly my biggest motivation was i just thought the idea was really cool, and wanted to share it with my fellow ATS'ers.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
WOW, the AK evolved, i'm not really a fan of guns and it would be impossible for me to get one, but that thing looks awesome!

Do guns really get stolen that much btw?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Guns are a very popular item to steal and generally once stolen you aren't getting them back. Especially if once stolen they are used in the comission of a crime. that's an automatic death sentence for your poor stolen gun.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
yeah i guess stealing a gun makes more sense then buying one registered to your name if you have nefarious plans with it..

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
That would make an excellent back up weapon for a sniper. He could just strap it to his pack and go. I love my AK. I will trust it over any M4/AR and I have used both in combat. Hopefully one day I will be able to get one of these.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by roguetechie

I like what I see there, absolutely! Perhaps by this time next year, I'll be in a position to buy one. That is definitely the kind of alternative to the Romanian gun show AK-'s I've been keeping an eye out for. No comparison by the look of it.

My mixed feelings are just politics.. ignore me on that. Your right on this being well worth sharing and looking closer at down the road.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Yeah just so you know I've heard someone say it's built on an arsenal inc AK which is a fairly expensive and reputable brand. The fore end is a midwest industries low pro rail designed specifically for one of several types of holographic sight to cowitness including the burris fast fire which isn't super expensive.

new topics

top topics

join