It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vermont Becomes First State to Call for Amendment that Would Remove Corporations From Constitution

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
One step at a time, and a step in the right direction.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by stillwind

Corporations can have an opinion on a subject political or otherwise, but that's about as far as it should go.

Should a corporation be able to vote? Or run for office?

Of course not.

Money is not speech...it is property. And it is absurd that they are able to influence the media and Washington in the manner they do.

Corporate money in congress is why we have these career politicians who are in it for profit and power, and to help there friends do the same thing.

I think everyone right, left, and center is sick of this.
edit on 29-4-2012 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Wow, this is great news! Well done Vermont, way to lead by example.

This is a great and well needed move that we as a nation desperately need. We can only hope that legislators from other states use Vermont as an example, but I know that's wishful thinking because many states seem to be just utterly lost and hopeless. ( The bible thumping states especially where independent thought is an idea of the past).

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by oghamxx
source axisoflogic.com...

IMO this trend needs exposure. Vermont, along with Hawaii and New Mexico, are just a start on a long road back to sanity but is it too little too late.

I will try to get a copy of these bills/resolutions and present them to a legislator in my state IF I find one who will aggressively pursue it.

OK -- let's not be totally fatalistic. It's not "too little too late" if we just remember that if WE CONTROL OUR NATION -- we just change the rules. That and send the Navy to confiscate everything from the offshore banks that have no listed owners,...

Anyway, we can just change the rules so that banks cannot charge more than 5% over the prime lending rate they get. We can just demand that the military is paid for by the 1% and I think we won't be getting in so many wars.

The GREAT thing about Government, is it works for the people who control it -- and if we control it, we can just CHOOSE to solve all our problems. That's the thing -- we've all been brainwashed into thinking that problems cannot be solved. But it takes a lot of work to confuse everyone and make them helpless. It was only one bill and the EPA that solved the phosphate crisis that was causing rivers to burn. We stopped CFCs from destroying the Ozone.

We can get on Green Energy and end homelessness in 4 years just by CHOOSING to do so. Everyone who tells you different is a fraud, a liar, a shill, a fool, or just too full of "fascist propaganda" to know how powerful we are when the people run things.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by oniraug
Vermont is awesome, they also banned billboards and you wont find a chain restaurant there.

I miss New England

I hope this works! I never knew money was free speech? Lol!!

No chain restaurants? Yes there are. Loads of them. I can think of 8 (but there are probably more) off the top of my head in my small town alone. I just moved to SE Vermont a few months ago.

Vermont is beautiful but can be ridiculous. It has seemingly wonderful ambitions, but the ignorance here is appalling. Fear-mongering is rampant here. And they dig no deeper than general fear-based ignorance. At least that's how it seems to be in my town. They protest what they don't understand. They are paranoid that people educated in a certain field are all lying to them, out to get them, and that they, without the education in that field, know more about it than those who do have one.

Vermont is great in some ways, but insane and unrealistic in others. Manipulation through emotion is big here, and hypocrisy, while logic and digging deeper and being knowledgeable of the facts are seemingly discouraged.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I wonder if there is a central organization to donate funds to, and become involved.

How do I get such a movement going in CA.

We need more in this amendment, a plain statement that it is the governments job to protect the rights of the individual from institutional abuse.

The government should be actively enforcing laws against fraud, with criminal penalties. A person should not have to hire a lawyer to get justice against a criminal business activity.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
There seems to be a whole lot of confusion over this. Why would we amend the constitution to take away powers it doesn't grant in the first place?

US CODE GRANTS CORPORATE PERSONHOOD US CODE is written by the legislature and signed into law by the president. We can make an educated guess that corporate lawyers probably wrote the code and submitted it to the legislature to pass. We know how well the DC boys get along with their chums in the corporate world.

U.S. Code Title 1, Chapter 1, Subsection 1

In determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, unless the context indicates otherwise— the words “person” and “whoever” include corporations, companies, associations, firms, partnerships, societies, and joint stock companies, as well as individuals

Therefore....

Amendment XIV to the United States Constitution (an act of Congress): Section 1.

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

US CODE is written by the legislature and signed into law by the president. When we actually understand the subject matter it should be blatantly obvious that the correct course of action is to simply get rid of U.S. Code Title 1, Chapter 1, Subsection 1.

This is important. It is important to understand the sunbject before we make knee-jerk reactions. There is no good reason to amend the 14th amendment or write and pass a whole new amendment when we can just get rid of the stupid code that grants corporate personhood in the first place.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Three words: Maritime Admiralty Law.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Unless they are up to something else manipulating the people differently...
Their might be an increase of "accidents"! ! !

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyBuff

I gave you a "star" because your comment makes no sense but it was kind of fun seeing it here.

To all you dopes that want to "ban" corporations: why not eliminate anything corporate in your own life first, then let the rest of us actually try to live good, fulfilling and comfortable lives? You know, leave me alone to live my own life and make my own decisions?

And by "anything corporate" I mean:

The computer you're typing on
The electricity to power it and everything else in your home
Your car
Your bicycle
The nerd glasses on your face
Your acne medicine
Most all of the food in your house
The truck that brought you your food from somewhere too far for you to get it yourself
The couch in your mama's basement that you're sitting on right now
The house your mama owns (all the materials in it, and the company that built it)
All the clothes you're wearing

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I posted this a little earlier, hope it helps

Move to Amend

MTA Coalition - Formed in September 2009, Move to Amend is a coalition of hundreds of organizations and tens of thousands of individuals committed to social and economic justice, ending corporate rule, and building a vibrant democracy that is genuinely accountable to the people, not corporate interests.

Also while looking for other info I came across a story in Forbes Magazine from August last year

Corporations Do Not Pay Taxes: They Can't, They're Not People

I mentioned that companies don’t pay taxes a couple of days ago and this brought some rather surprised comments. What confuses me is why should people be surprised? It’s not all that difficult an idea after all: any tax is going to mean less money in the wallets of some group of people. The people who have less money after the tax are clearly and obviously the people who are “really” paying this tax.

full story at link

I've not come across anything similar for the UK yet though.

ETA - Read a great quote;

SAN DIEGO -- Assembly Speaker John A. Pérez - "I won't believe corporations are people until Texas executes one of them."

edit on 29-4-2012 by ukWolf because: As Above

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

Hi ogh,
Nice catch S+F like you need them LOL
cheersl ljb

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyBuff

How does Admiralty Law apply?

The issue is land based.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ukWolf

Hi uk,
Glad to see the Wolves back in the UK.
You totally brought a smile to my mug when you posted this.

SAN DIEGO -- Assembly Speaker John A. Pérez - "I won't believe corporations are people until Texas executes one of them."

Good signature material right there.
lol lol ljb
This thread needs more attention to wake up the sheeple.
Wolves do work well at that.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join