It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vermont Becomes First State to Call for Amendment that Would Remove Corporations From Constitution

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+43 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
source axisoflogic.com...

IMO this trend needs exposure. Vermont, along with Hawaii and New Mexico, are just a start on a long road back to sanity but is it too little too late.

I will try to get a copy of these bills/resolutions and present them to a legislator in my state IF I find one who will aggressively pursue it.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Its sad that they need to create a bill or ammendment that says corporations are not people. You would think its a given. Then again there are laws that say rape and murder is.. criminal. Good job vermont, atleast a step in the right direction.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Very happy to see this. I always liked the New England states they've always been ahead of the curve.
Don't know that this will stop abuse at this point the systems so ingrained.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if Sen. Bernie Sanders had something to do with this move. He doesn't shy away from grilling corporate interests. It's may be futile, but it's a step in the right direction.
edit on 28-4-2012 by GD21D because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
There seems to be a larger "campaign" than I would have imagined already.

Corporate Personhood needs to be abolished globally IMO

Move to Amend

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court's Citizens United ruling, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons entitled to constitutional rights.

MTA Coalition Formed in September 2009, Move to Amend is a coalition of hundreds of organizations and tens of thousands of individuals committed to social and economic justice, ending corporate rule, and building a vibrant democracy that is genuinely accountable to the people, not corporate interests. We are calling for an amendment to the US Constitution to unequivocally state that inalienable rights belong to human beings only, and that money is not a form of protected free speech under the First Amendment and can be regulated in political campaigns.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
It will never happen. Look what happened to your beloved Jack Kennedy....

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by aaronez
It will never happen. Look what happened to your beloved Jack Kennedy....

Look at what happened at Fort Sumter....

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

wow, nice.

This is great!

I hope it gets more coverage. I will for one tell everyone about it.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Vermont is awesome, they also banned billboards and you wont find a chain restaurant there.

I miss New England

I hope this works! I never knew money was free speech? Lol!!

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
THANK YOU VERMONT.
Corporations and companies need to have their power to influence the government severely curbed. Corporations like Monsanto should be considered eco-terrorists of planetary scale, but instead they're allowed to infiltrate and bribe the governments of the world.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I hate to be the voice of skepticism here and I agree entirely with our system being the best MONEY can buy, but that's the whole point and what bothers me here.

The people pushing this are in Office because of support out of the Corps they would appear to be looking to Hog Tie. None in office for an extended period (With a couple RARE exceptions) are so far removed from the dirty money here that I trust them to have come up with this idea and are championing it all out of a sense of duty to America.

What are we missing? Gotta be missing something..... It's like Congress suddenly, out of the blue, coming up with a Constitutional Amendment for term limits on Congressional office. Okay...I'd be ecstatic, and as suspicious as ever by who and how what I can only dream of, started to appear for real. We're missing something, is my feel..what is it?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
That is amazing.

Nothing else needs to be said. This should be broadcast and supported by ALL of America.

Corporations are NOT people, and those who run them should be legally and financially responsible for their actions.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Read... "Corporations Are Not People" by J. D. Clements, just published this year.

Also, "Democracy Inc.", by S. Wolin, published 2-3 years ago.

Tirebiter

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ukWolf

MTA Coalition Formed in September 2009, Move to Amend is a coalition of hundreds of organizations and tens of thousands of individuals committed to social and economic justice, ending corporate rule, and building a vibrant democracy that is genuinely accountable to the people, not corporate interests. We are calling for an amendment to the US Constitution to unequivocally state that inalienable rights belong to human beings only, and that money is not a form of protected free speech under the First Amendment and can be regulated in political campaigns.
While I absolutely oppose corporate personhood, even worse would be the establishment of democracy here in the US. Our republic is corrupt enough, moving to democracy would surely sound the death knell of our formerly great nation.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I guess we can thank the SCOTUS for "corporations" being considered "people"....how ludicrous. IF that was true then corporations (a collection of business people for the purpose of combining capital and reducing liability, etc) would have to "merge" via a "wedding ceremony".... "Dupont do you take ............(xyz corp) to be your..........."
Please. Stop it.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Way to go Vermont!!! this is a great idea and needs to spread.

But the same supreme court that granted personhood to corporations is still in power, this needs to change.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
If a corporation is a person then they can not own another corporation as that would be slavery.

AND if we ever have a military draft they should be eligible to be drafted and have to give all their profits and bonus' to the war effort.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Corporations are not, nor have they ever been part of the Constitution. It was (and still is) Progressive, activist federal judges and corrupt politicians that "interpreted" the constitution to say that, like they do with everything else.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
This could be a trend starting, and a good sign it is ! All it would take is for a few more states to just be actively pursuing this and the backbone of corporate dominance and "too big to fail" could break, making it easier for the other states to follow suit. Blood in the water, as the saying goes.

By the way- love the avatar- Go, Vlad !

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
If you are going to do this then do it all the way. If corporations are not entities then you can't tax them either.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join