It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Spends $10 Mil To Train Asian Call Center Workers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) is blowing $10 million to train Filipinos to work in Asian call centers that serve the very U.S. businesses the president threatened to strip of tax deductions for moving jobs and profits abroad. In fact, in hisState of the Union address earlier this year, Obama said “it is time to stop rewarding businesses that ship job overseas.”

www.judicialwatch.org...

So far the U.S. has lost a half million jobs to foreign call centers. Profitable off-shore perks and cheap foreign labor are great incentives for U.S. businesses to give jobs to foreigners that the taxpayers are footing the bill to train.

The USAID Administrator, Rajiv Shah, was hand picked by President Obama.

What is it called when you say one thing and do another?

The next time I am having trouble making sense of the heavy accent of a customer service representative I'm talking with on the phone, I will also have a hard time forgetting:
1) This once was an American's job and 2) U.S. tax dollars trained this person.

More information:
timbishop.house.gov...
www.informationweek.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Nice isnt? the Free market philosophy? that is what you voted for. oh sorry you voted something else but they still erased your vote electronicly and put something else, so sorry to heard that but you still crap to fix your governement now deal with it or you want another country to liberate your usa like you did in libya? afghanistan? vietnam? iraq? should I continu or you get my point?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I just wish it was only limited to call centers. Think about the millions, if not billions, the US has spent training and supplying foreign armies that turn around a few years later and start shooting back at us?

Afganistan, Iran, Iraq, and soon.... Pakistan.
Just to name a few.

Those dollars would have been better spent fighting the poverty and genocide in Africa. IMO

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by skywalk

I am grateful that I have the freedom to speak openly against abuses in our system of government. So don't mind me if I take issue with a President that says:

“it is time to stop rewarding businesses that ship job overseas.”

and yet does just the opposite.

I am grateful for New York Democrat Tim Bishop and North Carolina Republican Walter Jones going to bat for us to get this rectified.

Both have threatened to use every legislative option available to permanently prohibit USAID from engaging in such practices in the future. Actively funding the training of foreign workers for call center jobs outsourced by American companies is “extraordinarily distressing” given the fragile state of the recovering American labor force,” the congressmen write.

I am even grateful that at least one poster took the time to read and respond to this thread even if only to bash my country's government in the process.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

The trouble with us sending foreign aid is that it does not end up in the hand of those who need it.

God Bless America - we need it!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
reply to post by skywalk

I am grateful that I have the freedom to speak openly against abuses in our system of government. So don't mind me if I take issue with a President that says:

“it is time to stop rewarding businesses that ship job overseas.”

and yet does just the opposite.

I am grateful for New York Democrat Tim Bishop and North Carolina Republican Walter Jones going to bat for us to get this rectified.

Both have threatened to use every legislative option available to permanently prohibit USAID from engaging in such practices in the future. Actively funding the training of foreign workers for call center jobs outsourced by American companies is “extraordinarily distressing” given the fragile state of the recovering American labor force,” the congressmen write.

I am even grateful that at least one poster took the time to read and respond to this thread even if only to bash my country's government in the process.

you're welcome

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Your assessment is spot on. When is our government going to start caring for its' own family? Why are corporations the only ones that seem to get any money from our government? When did corporations become U.S. sovereign citizens? Signed: tired of it.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by luxordelphi

I find it strange too seeing how corporations don't create money. All the money a corporation gets comes from people. Every loan it takes or investment it to makes to build a new office will be based on a projection of business trends in the coming time and will be designed to minimise investment and maximise profits. Profits it invariably receives from people, or companies who also get their income from other people, who want, need or are forced to take their services. It's a funny old, funny money makes the world go round kind of world...
edit on 27/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Modern day slavery in the guise of outsourcing.

You just swap things around.

Now the slavemasters send the work TO the slaves.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Can anyone tell us what the cost of living is in those foreign countries where companies hire workers.

Maybe that 80 cents an hour there is equivalent to $9 here in terms of buying power ?

Most of those call center people working as slaves and ultra poor sure do speak English fairly well.
I always wondered how they do that ?

How did they learn all that while living in some slave slum ghetto somewhere ?

Look for the cost of bread, cigarettes, milk, etc.

Remember....the American politicians are doing this to Americans.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
When you call customer service for anything vishnu Patel from India will answer your call and have a name like John and be from Missouri actually pretend to be from Missouri. It's such a shame that people lost their jobs to this

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by skywalk

Its sad that there is such a wide misunderstanding of the people in The US. The US has become ( to the world around us) The behavior of the Corporations. The Dishonest Political leadership and so on. What you speak of in that malignant tone. is something you need to say to the cheats and politicians that have swindled The American People. But that's hard to do because they are not suffering yet. They are sucking up all they can and continue to do so. So they have nothing to complain about.

Hearing your clabber is like telling a kid who has parents that ignore his or her needs, "Hey they are your parents" as if the kid wanted a pair of idiots leading the family off a pier. As far as the "voting" goes? The American People didn't ask for the cheating electronic system. Its no mystery that it's a rigged game.

So what is your point? Do you enjoy the hardships of others ? Or are you one of those that live in another country that is an expert on people , average people , for the most part, who you have never met or spoken to? One that says if you live there you are the one that wants it the way it is? So if your toilet over flows in Canada then Canada is a river of crap and the people like it like that? HARDLY.

top topics

join