It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Ron Paul a Republican?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I'm so tired of hearing about how Ron Paul is not a real Republican and should not be running on the Republican ticket! What is it that makes a REAL Republican? I would say that wanting smaller government, fiscal responsibility, and be a constitutionalist should qualify him. I guess this is the blowback for having a two party system! I read an article about the Washington convention where the Republican party chair ended the meeting because he saw that Ron Paul was getting all the delegates.

A Republican Party chairman, though, refused to accept the Paul-supporting chairperson, and ended the meeting, declaring that the meeting was no longer a Republican Party event, but rather a Ron Paul campaign event.

link

Ron Paul's message IS the future of politics, there is no going back to the way things used to be! His words have struck a chord and is resonating with the American public.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I think a "real republican" is a guy that cares for the greater good of the party. Its debatable whether or not Ron Paul does. We will see when he decides if he will run as an Independant.

Ron Paul is a conservative. There is a difference.

How would you feel if you were a 'dyed in the wool Republican' and Ron Paul decides to run as an Independant and hurt Romneys and the Republican Parties chances? Yes I know,you dont care.Many Republicans do and will.
edit on 26-4-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jaws1975

Under the old definition of a Republican, he is the only one running.
Under the progressive (new) definition...then no. He is a statesman. He is considered a libertarian.

Too bad people that consider themselves conservatives, are actually middle of the road/left leaning.
They dont even know it.....because MSM tells them differently.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I believe Ron Paul is a new breed of politician.
An honest one.
One who actually has our best interest at heart.
Is he a Republican? beats me. Seems like one though.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

Care to point out the core differences between Romney and Obama regarding foreign policy, education, the economy, health care, and treasonous bills regarding the constant loss of our rights and freedoms?

With the exception of the Keystone pipeline.

I bet you can't. Because no one knows where Romney stands on these issues. Not even him.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus
I think a "real republican" is a guy that cares for the greater good of the party.

No, that's what is defined in today's partisan divided society. What a republican truly is, is defined by the party you ask.

He's aligned with the "republican party" because he's a true conservative and he needed the exposure for the election cycle.

There's no "greater good of the party". The only "greater good" at this point is Ron Paul.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DIDtm

Care to point out the core differences between Romney and Obama regarding foreign policy, education, the economy, health care, and treasonous bills regarding the constant loss of our rights and freedoms?

I bet you can't. Because no one knows where Romney stands on these issues. Not even him.

Do you care to point out where I endorse Romney or Obama?

I dont.
So Im not sure what your post means.

I think Ron Paul is the best of a bad bunch,that does not mean he is a "real Republican"

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

He's aligned with the "republican party" because he's a true conservative and he needed the exposure for the election cycle.

I think that speaks to his character. He seems to be using the Republican Party as a vehicle and is not being entirely honest about his intention's. He is a politician after all I guess.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DIDtm

Do you care to point out where I endorse Romney or Obama?

I dont.
So Im not sure what your post means.

I think Ron Paul is the best of a bad bunch,that does not mean he is a "real Republican"

I should have worded my post a bit different. I was only curious if anyone out there knows the difference between Romney and Obama. I was referring to your quote regarding 'Many Republicans do and will care about if Paul runs as an independent and hurts Romneys chances'. (I paraphrased).

Why would they honestly care. Theyre the same person with the same (nearly) policies.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I think that speaks to his character. He seems to be using the Republican Party as a vehicle and is not being entirely honest about his intention's. He is a politician after all I guess.

I think his voting record speaks to his character.

The rest is just semantics to me...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

As you can see from Wallace pressing him on the issue of an Independant run,many 'real Republican's" are very concerned about Paul running as Independant. "real Republicans" want to win the election. Real Republicans want the Republican Party to win the election.

They want a Republican to win. If Paul ditches them and hurts Romney in the process they will be outraged. If you think the media has been hard on Paul up to now,just wait and see the knives come out if he runs as Independant.

This is obvious.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by freakjive

I think his voting record speaks to his character.

The rest is just semantics to me...

Fair enough. Many "real Republican's" will disagree with you. So do I,and I actually think Paul is the best of a bad bunch.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I think a "real republican" is a guy that cares for the greater good of the party. Its debatable whether or not Ron Paul does. We will see when he decides if he will run as an Independant.

Ron Paul is a conservative. There is a difference.

How would you feel if you were a 'dyed in the wool Republican' and Ron Paul decides to run as an Independant and hurt Romneys and the Republican Parties chances? Yes I know,you dont care.Many Republicans do and will.

What constitutes a "dyed in the wool Republican"? The Republican party evolves every election cycle or devolves (depends on how you look at it), so how do you know that the Ron Paul message isn't the future of the Republican party?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I think this video from Ron Paul in 2008 will clear up your question. The question was about electability, but the question arose basically asking "if you are at odds with the other republican nominees, why continue to run as a republican and not run as an independent.

Probably my favorite question. Everyone laughs at this guy, but he won't let it bother him. He acts just as a president should. Even though it would be very easy for him to take offense to the question, and cry, he doesn't. He mans up and answers the question better than I think anyone could have under the circumstance.

I think his main point, is that he feels the republicans have lost their way. He runs as a republican to restore what being a republican is about. It doesn't matter what it has turned into, what matters is what it was founded on.
edit on 26-4-2012 by Daemonicon because: Edit: Added description under video

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Terms and labels change through time to fit the current status quo. Party systems are faux and always have been, it's a trick to brainwash and divide. Only the man matters and his specific platform, not his party affiliation.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

It seems as tho you are content with the system limiting your choices of who you vote for president. If any outsider try's to run that has not pledged to do business as usual when elected then they are branded "unelectable". Baffles me how you could say Ron Paul is "the best of a bad bunch", what does that make Romney then?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jaws1975

so how do you know that the Ron Paul message isn't the future of the Republican party?

We are talking about this Republican Party. And 'dyed in the wool' would be a registered Republican that wants a Republican in the White House.

I dont mean to upset you fanatical Paul supporters but Ron Paul simply is not perfect as much as you would like him to be. And if he runs against the Republican Party he is obviously not a "real Republican".

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaws1975

It seems as tho you are content with the system limiting your choices of who you vote for president. If any outsider try's to run that has not pledged to do business as usual when elected then they are branded "unelectable". Baffles me how you could say Ron Paul is "the best of a bad bunch", what does that make Romney then?

How do I limit anything? As I said,Paul is the best of a bad bunch. I think you guys should vote for him as an Independant.
If you really care get behind this
www.americanselect.org...

And Paul being the best of a bad bunch makes Romney terrible. Obama is worse.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Weather our nation be a Democratic Republic or Republican Democracy should not be focused on! What should be focused on is, weather or not a representative of the people should represent the people! The people should be the focus and he who represents the majority of the people should be President!
edit on 26-4-2012 by ajay59 because: to amend

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
Terms and labels change through time to fit the current status quo. Party systems are faux and always have been, it's a trick to brainwash and divide. Only the man matters and his specific platform, not his party affiliation.

Maybe to you. "real Republicans" have a different opinion.

And they have every right to have that opinion.

I dont think Paul will run to be honest. He said he wouldnt. He wont unless he is a liar.

Do you see the trap he is in? If he does run "real Republicans" will label him as a liar. They will be right.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join