It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The racist bandwagon,its easy to fall into

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
hi all

i was searching jobs on gumtree and came across this job advert

"Indian Housekeeper and cook wanted"

i had a few thoughts
till i read the job description twice

3x a week total 9 hrs a week.

Indian household require assistance with household duties, including washing & ironing, cleaning and meal preparation.

Experience desired. Good pay, including increase after 3 months.

Please send me a message with your contact details, experience and I will call you to discuss.

Kind Regards,

see how easy it is to cry the dreaded word
the title seemed to say what it meant....
till read properly

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
yeah thats all fine and dandy lets try this another way though

"White Housekeeper and cook wanted"

White household require assistance with household duties, including washing & ironing, cleaning and meal preparation.

Does that sound worse? Does that sound better? It's the same thing essentially.... I mean classifying the job under a certain race/culture or whatever, right?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

Indian culture is... complicated...

They may be able to get away with treating an Indian maid worst than an non-indian maid.

Remember in India they are still very much divided by class.

I remember once I had to correct one of my managers (he was an Indian immigrant first gen) because he was constantly treating another Indian member of our staff badly (and she put up with it which boggles my mind)

I ended up having to report him to HR for discrimination, simply because he continued to treat the other staff member badly, His excuse to me was "Ben you don't under stand" and he proceeded to explain how she was from a "village" and needed to be firm with her so she understood things...

its BS and shouldn't be tolerated in the States.
edit on 26-4-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The easiest way to determine if it's racist is to substitute "white" or "Caucasian" instead of whatever ethnicity is called out, just like the previous commenter did. I lost track of how many news stories I've read where 3 black persons beat up a white person but it isn't labeled as a hate crime. However if you have three white persons beat up a black person then voila you have a hate crime.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire
yeah thats all fine and dandy lets try this another way though

"White Housekeeper and cook wanted"

White household require assistance with household duties, including washing & ironing, cleaning and meal preparation.

Does that sound worse? Does that sound better? It's the same thing essentially.... I mean classifying the job under a certain race/culture or whatever, right?

hi sir
when i read this i thought WTH
and you said almost to the word what my close relative said..
cheers
dave

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
reply to post by davesmart

Indian culture is... complicated...

They may be able to get away with treating an Indian maid worst than an non-indian maid.

Remember in India they are still very much divided by class.

I remember once I had to correct one of my managers (he was an Indian immigrant first gen) because he was constantly treating another Indian member of our staff badly (and she put up with it which boggles my mind)

I ended up having to report him to HR for discrimination, simply because he continued to treat the other staff member badly, His excuse to me was "Ben you don't under stand" and he proceeded to explain how she was from a "village" and needed to be firm with her so she understood things...

its BS and shouldn't be tolerated in the States.
edit on 26-4-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

i dont honestly mean this to sound rude
but
TF i live in the former GREAT BRITAIN
it sounds like you peeps have it really bad....

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
so preferring to stay within your own race isnt considered racist? Because I feel being racist means preferring one race over the other. Even if its the race you belong to.
What if there were 3 other adds under that one...lets say one said black housekeeper wanted. or white or asian?
and lets say the last one only said housekeeper wanted.
which one would be the least racist? Im going with the last one. because all the others specified you have to be a certain race to work there.

let me give a personal story on this same story. I asked an Indian restaurant if they were hiring. The first question the manager asked me was where I was born. once it was confirmed I was american they told me they werent hiring. I walked out quite mad and felt the victim of racial profiling. isnt this the same story? indian housekeeper wanted for an indian household. Sounds like they would turn up their nose at anyother race that showed up to apply.
edit on 26-4-2012 by Foxy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I would also consider it racist if lets say for example a black man only wanted to date white women or vice versa.
even though most immature people would say thats jungle fever the opposite of racism...I disagree. preferring one race over the other is racism in my book no matter what race you are!

top topics

join