It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Innovative New Wind Turbine (must see)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

The 35` wide helium-filled turbine reaches altitudes where winds are 5X stronger than those reached by normal turbines. Now, I must admit I am a bit impressed. I can think of a million ways this could fail though.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Thats pretty cool. I was thinking that they would have issues with high wind...then I realized the irony in my own thought.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kenny71

It certainly looks original but the first naughty thought that popped in my head after you mentioned fail was:
Make a little hole in it to let some of the helium out, nudge craft with a strong gust of wind at high altitude tilting it forward 90 degrees....in a nutshell how's she handle at terminal velocity?

ETA And for some reason it makes me think of a blimp,maybe it's the helium.
edit on 23/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
That and the wind turbine that produces water via creating condensation, I am liking the new tech stuff!

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights
Thats pretty cool. I was thinking that they would have issues with high wind...then I realized the irony in my own thought.

"Irony" or clear thinking? Both. Maybe?
That little motor won't power much of anything. That brings up a question: Why don't they mount wind terbines on mountain peaks or on sea shores where there is almost always a breeze or wind of some force?

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kenny71

This is amazing, I'm surprised no one has thought of this before. You know the most amazing aspect of this design? It will turn relative to the wind direction and capture maximum wind energy all the time. Brilliant.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Because that is too obviously intelligent.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Twice the power of a ground mounted turbine? I find that hard to believe looking at the size of that prop and gen-motor. Although they didn't specify what model of ground mounted wind generator they were comparing too.

Off to their website to read more.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Great idea.
Maybe they can get them above the flight paths of most birds to avoid that needless carnage as well.
At different altitudes you can locate wind to get maximum generating time too.
Why not just make blimps with turbines that can weather nearly anything and get them way up?

posted on Apr, 24 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Great idea, Oh wait, Helium appears to be a finite resource so much for "renewable" energy from these turbines.

Great idea but they would have to be filled with Hydrogen. We all know how much the world loves hydrogen balloons, ie: Hindenburg....

top topics

join