It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun quadrupolar in May. Pole reversal in 1 month or so, about one year earlier than expected

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

edit on 28/4/2012 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jannerfish

Gama rays are not particles. It's our atmosphere what's protecting us, isn't it?

Very few gamma-rays make it through the atmosphere. The atmosphere is as thick to gamma-rays as a twelve-foot thick plate of aluminum. Gamma-rays are very very unlikely to go through that much material. However, they can strike the material and produce 'secondary' particles which are more penetrating, and can go through the material.

I've read 120 m of air or 13 mm of lead is enough.
Earth would be affected by electrically charged particles in case of weaker magnetosphere how it is now on poles. I don't know how, it may be crazy lightning show, northern lights everywhere and who knows what else but no immediate Fukushima.
edit on 28/4/2012 by PapagiorgioCZ because: grammar

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by PapagiorgioCZ

Gamma rays are photons. I know you've heard of wave-particle duality. So you must know that gamma rays can be thought of as particles or waves, depending on the situation. People usually say gamma rays because that's what they've heard other people say, and they're unsure about what it is.

I'm not sure why you also explain the shielding effect of our atmosphere. Although I'm glad you did as it may be an education to some.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Gama rays have no mass and no charge. That's why it is written as Greek letter Gamma with two zeros. It's pure em-wave so I just explained why it's not affected by our megnetosphere. I know that duality at lower frequencies/energies (visible light) where photons are kinda pieces of energy. It's actually very interresting and complex subject. Not really fully understood yet. In the end we could see every mass and forces as energy in one theory.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join