It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fileplanet, an illegal idea?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
There are sites, like fileplanet, that host a plethora of files. I used to download a bunch of files everyday through a sister-site called planetelderscrolls.fileplanet, and the downloads would link to fileplanet's mirrors for the file (ONLY there, nowhere else), and if you were a paying member you'd download fast, and if you weren't a paying member (only a registered member, and no guests), you'd download with a speed cap and in a queue for high-traffic downloads.

EVERY SINGLE FILE IS FREE TO USE. THERE IS NO "PREMIUM CONTENT".

The entire game is open source, with an open sourced editor.

Not a single creator of any mod on this site would charge anyone to download, not even the multi-gig files.

Now, in 2012, I re-installed my game that I download these mods through fileplanet for, and most of the mods are only found in the libraries of fileplanet. (ie: a really needed mod that is ONLY found in fileplanet due to mirrors disappearing).

Being only on that website, they now have made it so you absolutely have to be a donating member to download these files.

Wouldn't that be exactly the same as taking someone else's file, and hosting it out of my house and charging admission?

Wouldn't that be the same as recording a show on your Ti-vo and charging tickets?

File planet is making people pay to access files that are free to use, and weren't "labeled for retail sale".

Does anyone know about the T&C of uploading content? Does it say that FP will take complete control of the content and its resale?

IMHO: This is just another run-off of disgusting corporate greed.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iconic

Oh, so you think, Fileplanet should make no money to pay the servers that give you the ability to download files? So you think, the people who created this site and work for the company behind it, deserve no money for their work?
What do you want? Everything for free? Would you like to work without getting paid?

Get a grip on reality.

Nobody forces you to pay for the services that site offers, so why the complaint? Leave it..
And if you think that files for games can only be found on one site...it seems you never have heard of google.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

It seems you've never heard of google. ha.
You seem to have missed the outlined point that these files only get uploaded to about 2 places, maybe, and fileplanet hosts a bunch because they made Planet Elder Scrolls, the only site to compete with the other, "TES Nexus" and so its almost a monopoly. It's a very strange situation and its not just out in the open theft, so I can see where you'd just give up thinking and rely on "Yeah, that's how its always been, so what"

I thought ATS was supposed to be about discussion, and not posts designed like:

HATEHATEFLAMEFLAME
half of a point, not really a full idea
HATEHATE
"You're stupid, I'm the best, because I don't see you're reasoning"
stupid signature

ETA: Plus, when these files were originally uploaded, you could download them for free, at all times. It was never made known that at some point they would be for paying persons only
edit on 22-4-2012 by Iconic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Your not paying for the file, you are paying for the ability to use there services( ie,access file storage, bandwidth,). Don't want to pay, download from somewhere else. OH wait they the only ones that have it anymore, well then try playing a game that has more community support than elderscrolls
edit on 22-4-2012 by MidKnight because: Spelling Correction

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MidKnight

I'm looking at the fact that I've stated above, that the files were INTENDED to be accessible for free.

We aren't talking about massive storage, the need to make a "one time donation to access 2.3MB for $6.60"

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Also try filefront (the files network) Elderscrolls filefront
and they don't charge for their services

ps Fileplanet is owned and operated by Gamespy

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MidKnight

I'll try that out.

I'm just ticked off at the seemingly endless ways people make money off of us. Us being the proletariat, the under-appreciated, the people that were making free software for people (who need free things) to distract them from their s* existence in a commerce-driven world.

Its sad when everything is price-associated.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Iconic

I'm not really sure I noticed the other day I couldn't download some stuff from them, I believe they are on the verge of getting shutdown.

Use this site for mods.... Tes Nexus

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

Your entire post was based on an assumption. Fail. Learn to discuss.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85

Oh, so you think, Fileplanet should make no money to pay the servers that give you the ability to download files? So you think, the people who created this site and work for the company behind it, deserve no money for their work?
What do you want? Everything for free? Would you like to work without getting paid?

Get a grip on reality.

Nobody forces you to pay for the services that site offers, so why the complaint? Leave it..
And if you think that files for games can only be found on one site...it seems you never have heard of google.

Fileplanet are NOT allowed to make money out of providing servers full of pirated content. This is a breach of copyright law.

The people behind this site who created it absolutely have no authority to be charging for their services, it's a site full of illegal content.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85

Get a grip on reality.

Fileplanet are NOT allowed to make money out of providing servers full of pirated content. This is a breach of copyright law.

The people behind this site who created it absolutely have no authority to be charging for their services, it's a site full of illegal content.

Try reading the IGN Terms of Service... Two Parts stick right out for me...

Under section2 IGN Services

D. Posting User Content; No Endorsement of User Content. You are solely responsible for all User Content (as defined in the next sentence) that you upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available on or through the Services (collectively, "Post"). "User Content" means User-Posted content or information of any type or medium, including but not limited to: letters, emails or other messages; other forms of communication through the Services; personal User information; cheat codes; board posts; reader reviews; blogs, game ratings, data, notes and testimonials; poll votes; images; audio or video files; and software. You may Post only User Content which you own, have created or which you have clear permission to Post. You acknowledge and agree that IGN does not endorse any User Content and is not responsible or liable for any User Content, even though it may be unlawful, harassing, libelous, privacy invading, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene, or otherwise objectionable, or may infringe upon the intellectual property or other rights of another. You acknowledge that IGN does not pre-screen User Content, and has no obligation to do so, but that IGN and its designees will have the right (but not the obligation) in their sole discretion to refuse, edit, move or remove any User Content that is posted on or through the Service.

and under section 4. Rights You Grant to IGN.

A. User Content. By submitting any User Content through or to the Services, including on any User Tools or User Pages, but excluding any User Content you submit on IGN Blogs, you hereby irrevocably grant to IGN, its affiliates and distributors, a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, and fully sub-licensable license, to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, translate, publicly perform, publicly display, create derivative works from, transfer, transmit and distribute on the Services, in connection with promotion or elsewhere, such User Content (in whole or in part) and to incorporate the User Content into other works in any format or medium now known or later developed. Notwithstanding the foregoing, when you submit a game FAQ, text guide, walkthrough or image, IGN may modify the format and display of such User Content, but not the content. IGN will take reasonable precautions to help you to keep your email and voicemail messages private. The foregoing grants shall include the right to exploit any proprietary rights in such User Content, including but not limited to rights under copyright, trademark, service mark or patent laws under any relevant jurisdiction. With respect to User Content you Post for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of IGN Blogs, you grant IGN the license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and publicly display such User Content on the Services or on any media. You agree that the foregoing grant of rights by you to IGN and its affiliates is provided without any the entitlement of payment of fees or consideration.

Source

This network works off of user submitted content, and again they are simply charging for access to the file that is stored on their servers, using their bandwidth to download that file.

also, dont really see where they charging $$ for dloads, i was able to download several files from fileplanet and affiliates for free without being logged in.

And Before when i said gamespy ran fileplanet, I did not relize that gamespy had been since acquired by IGN

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Well someone has to pay the electric bill for the servers and the internet bills.

new topics

top topics

join