It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time....A concept or something else?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I am placing this in the skunk works because, to be quite frank this is my own personal outlook on the current state of affairs. I know that many would probably place such a work in the philosophy section, but in my personal opinion, personal opinions should go in the skunk works, not in the phhilosophy forum.

Anyhow, let's move on. Shall we?

I have been a member of ATS for about six years now, and it has come to my attention that over the years people have shown a great interest in timeshifts, interdimensional realities, UFOs, ghosts, et cetera. There are probably about as many theories as to what it all means and what they are as there are members here.

My main focus of this thread is the apparent "speeding up" of time. Maybe it's like this for everyone, but it seems like the older I get, the faster time goes by. I say that, yet, there are a great many people who are younger than I, who have noticed the same.

Now, all of this might be a rather moot point to some. However, to my knowledge, the idea of linear time is a rather man made concept. There is not any empirical evidence, beyond the limited reaches of our present consciousness, that such a thing even exists.

With all of that being said, let's examine a couple of the ideas put forth about this apparent "speeding up" of time.

Now this first article makes sense to me, but it would because I suppose one would label me a "New Ager." Now, whether I buy into it lock,stock and barrel is another question in its entirety, but it seems quite possible. Here is the article: Preparing for a dimensional shift

Now, obviously, the concept of time is largely psychological. I mean, it's a proven fact that when we are enjoying ourselves, time passes all too quickly. However, when we are bored, tired or in pain, conceptual time just seems to creep along. This just seems to be an unavoidable fact.

There are so many different theories about time and what it is and what it does. Now, to me, the concept of time is just that, a concept. It is only through our consciousness that it has any real existence at all.

For example, every June 10th I know that I am another year older... To my consciousness, yet another year has passed. However, do the trees, rocks, houses, universe, et cetera mark the same moment? Are they on some "time clock" as well? Honestly, I cannot fathom such a state of affairs.

Here is an article somewhat in the vein of what I am speaking of: Where did 2011 go?
As I have said, I am sure that I am not the only one who has noticed this. Honestly, I'd rather just keep most of my conjectures about this to myself. I'm just curious as to what some of you may think about it.

There are a great many things that could be said about this apparently anomalous event. Maqny times I just think it's all just a psychological game we play with ourself. Conversely, at other times, I have to wonder.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

when i read where did 2011 go i was like

FASTEST YEAR I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Time is the bars on our minds,keeping us from forever.Belief is the lock.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
Time is the bars on our minds,keeping us from forever.Belief is the lock.

Very succiently put.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

Honestly, Soy, the last ten years has been that way for me. I mean, there are things that happened ten or fifteen years ago that I can remember like yesterday. I am speaking metaphorically, of course, but that's what it's like.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
If time was "speeding up", wouldn't mechanical timepieces show the error?

Maybe, rather than time changing, it is in fact humans that are changing and using their time differently.

Ever notice how much time you burn sitting at a computer.

Maybe spare time is becoming a rarer commodity due to modern man having more to keep him/her occupied?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
it is in fact humans that are changing

Well, that is a certainty.... I can't really disagree with anything you said. Of course, if what you said be the case that reverts back to the whole psychological aspect I alluded to.
edit on 20-4-2012 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Time is just a cognitive construct so we can make sense of our environment. And so people can say "have a nice day"

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
You young whipper snappers "time is relative", slow down your life style, be bored, don't answer text messages etc. or be on call 24/7 and your life will slow down, but the question is can you handle it. It is your life you choose fast, slow or right for you. Enjoy from an old mans perspective.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
Time is just a cognitive construct so we can make sense of our environment. And so people can say "have a nice day"

That's pretty much the conclusion I have drawn over the years. However, in order for the, I guess the "feeling" of time speeding up" would be the most appropriate phraseology to use here to occur, would imply that one's cognitive abilities are speeding up. My question would be, why?

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

There is no time. All there is is the here and NOW. The Gregorian Calendar is a joke: when it was created in 1582, they had to make September 14th follow September 2nd to make it all fit in!!!

Don't be a slave to your wristwatch.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

what am i reading

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

Basically, he is saying that the concept of time is a bi-product of the physical matrix,

new topics

top topics

join