It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motorcycle Gang Trademarks Logo to Prevent Undercover Infiltration

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Public Intelligence

(U//LES) Trademarking of Vagos Outlaw Motorcycle Gang “Cuts” to prevent penetration by undercover Law Enforcement operations. (U//LES) As of 2 May 2011, the International Chapter of the Vagos Outlaw Motorcycle Gang (Vagos) trademarked their “cuts” – the patches which identify their OMG affiliation – in an effort to prevent law enforcement agencies from inserting undercover officers into their organization.

(U//LES) The Vagos added the ® symbol to the bottom center of the large back patch as shown in photo 1. There are only about 20 of these new patches which are currently being worn by members. It is believed that the new patches will be given out to new members as they are vetted by the Vagos leadership. By doing this, the Vagos believe they will have exclusive rights to the Vagos patch and no one, including undercover officers, would be able to wear the patch without the consent of the International Vagos OMG leadership.

(U//FOUO) Research within the United States Patent and Trademark Office was conducted which indicated the Vagos International Motorcycle Club Corporation California, 780 N. Diamond Bar Blvd., #B12, Diamond Bar California, 91765, filed to make the Vagos name and symbol a registered trademark on July 2, 2010, Serial Number 85076951. Changes and requests by the Vagos Corporation were submitted as recently as May 2, 2011 to the Patent and Trademark Office.

This is either very clever or extremely stupid.

Anyone care to comment on the possible effectiveness of this tactic? Even if it's legal, don't LE routinely circumvent and bypass laws any number of ways to continue their "investigations"

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
This is really interesting. I wonder if it is going to work. S & F

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
At the very least, if they are infiltrated, which the law enforcement agencies can still do, they can sue them for trademark infringement and sit in jail very rich.

They could also use this as a way to wrap the case up in an entrapment legality since the law enforcement agency would have to knowingly break Federal laws in order to make a case, which they can not do. They might bypass laws to do things, but they will always try to justify it with some legal explanation that protects them. They won't be able to do this with a registered trademark.

Pretty crafty if you ask me...

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
What I don't understand is if a leo is going to infiltrate this organization, he wouldn't do it by forging the patch, he would do it the donnie brasco way, right? 20 patches, this is a small group, only way to get in is to gain trust and hopefully become a member, so if the group willingly gives an undercover a patch, how could they then sue for infringement?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Just wondering, why is it extremely stupid?

Edit: OmegaVice answered the question. That is pretty stupid.
edit on 18-4-2012 by specialk89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by specialk89

Is it possible that this could make RICO or CCI charges a little more easier to prosecute, in this specific case?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialk89
Just wondering, why is it extremely stupid?

Edit: OmegaVice answered the question. That is pretty stupid.
edit on 18-4-2012 by specialk89 because: (no reason given)

Only if they did this without really checking it out first, otherwise they might relax a little too much believing they're safe when they're not.

I don't believe for a second ALL biker gang members are the third guy back on Darwin's theory of evolution...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

I don't believe for a second ALL biker gang members are the third guy back on Darwin's theory of evolution...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Paschar0

It's like a lot of armies, bunch of grunts and a few smart guys at the top running things...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
What's funny is that as Outlaw clubs start embracing/manipulating corporate rules, they will find ways to become as profitable as other corporations, and 100 years from now you might be driving a outlaw motorcycle car, or changing your babies diapers that carry a brand owned by a corporation that started as a motorcycle Club....

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I don't think the main intent is to prevent undercover infiltration, although an added bonus maybe, I think it's more so to prevent their cuts/logos from being used without their permission on merchandise etc. ...The Hells Angels did this years ago and even started the "Hells Angels Motorcycle Corporation" and have sued a variety of people and organizations successfully for copyright infringement etc....footnote on their site reads as follows;

"HELLS ANGELS and the skull logo (R) are trademarks owned by Hells Angels Motorcycle Corporation, registered in the USA and in many other countries. All logos and designs of Hells Angels are trademark-protected
(TM) and protected according to international law. Copying and other use is not allowed. "

I believe a variety of other 1% biker clubs such as the Bandidos, Outlaws, Red Devils and Mongols have done the same.

Sources:

www.hells-angels.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I would love to see a legal opinion on this...I think its brilliant.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaVice
What I don't understand is if a leo is going to infiltrate this organization, he wouldn't do it by forging the patch, he would do it the donnie brasco way, right? 20 patches, this is a small group, only way to get in is to gain trust and hopefully become a member, so if the group willingly gives an undercover a patch, how could they then sue for infringement?

That's what I don't get either.

A group of 20, and you just fabricate your own patch and walk in? And nobody apparently notices you're new?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I question the veracity of the report. Motorcycle clubs trademark their logos but not to prevent infiltration. When you're trying to join a club you would never wear the colours without permission anyway. They are very strict about this. They beat severely, or worse, anyone caught wearing colours who is not a member of the gang.

This actually sounds similar to that myth from the movie Blow where if you ask an undercover cop if he is police he is required by law to answer truthfully. This is of course false.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
What's funny is that as Outlaw clubs start embracing/manipulating corporate rules, they will find ways to become as profitable as other corporations, and 100 years from now you might be driving a outlaw motorcycle car, or changing your babies diapers that carry a brand owned by a corporation that started as a motorcycle Club....

Hey, it has worked for the Yakuza to a certain extent.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Man MC clubs down here already do engage in legitimate business. NIghtclubs, security, Tattoo parlours, BIke shops, mechanics, etc.

The police here even try to stamp that out, effectively forcing a legitimate business to engage in criminal activity.

I've got no respect for Bikers today, all bloody violent drugged up he men with names from Lebanon. Not like 30 years ago where if you didn't do the wrong by them, you'd be able to sit in a bar and have a beer without any problems.

Mind you, I'd only do that with certain clubs, mongrel mob from NZ were a mess in terms of civility. Steal your last breath if they could....

As for the patch trademark, well, they say the 20 registered patches are for prospects only, which means to me that they're not as small as 20. They probably had in mind other chapters? Not as easy to vouch for someone.. dunno.

If those guys are anything like the coffin cheaters then they have access to pretty decent lawyers and legal council, which is probably what originated the idea. Use the law against the law.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
This is pretty brilliant. Dissuade interlopers, and when that fails, collect patent infringement fines to finance a legal defense. The DEA will have to begin a patent infringement fund, unless SCOTUS can render patents null upon determination of a patented entity's illegal activities.

Which would flush corporate america down the drain. And that would be comical. We could all claim we are privy to the rights afforded to the Goldman Sachs patent.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

That tactic makes no sense unless they want to protect the design and/or sell the patches to wantabees, etc.

C'mon! How can that move possibly, possibly keep the law from getting into their business? That idea makes no sense,. After all, a gang patch is not the same thing as a shiny badge.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
SPAM removed by Admin
edit on Apr 19th 2012 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

That tactic makes no sense unless they want to protect the design and/or sell the patches to wantabees, etc.

C'mon! How can that move possibly, possibly keep the law from getting into their business? That idea makes no sense,. After all, a gang patch is not the same thing as a shiny badge.

I'm of the belief that a shiny badge is the same as a gang patch...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join