It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALEC Exposed in Missouri: Who Is Writing Our Laws?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

"Through ALEC task forces, unelected corporate lobbyists actually vote as equals with state legislators on 'model' bills to change our rights, in closed-door meetings where the press and public are not allowed," said Lisa Graves, Executive Director of the Center for Media and Democracy/ALECexposed.org, adding "Corporations also give gifts to ALEC 'scholarships' trips for legislators and their families at ALEC resort meetings where lobbyists and special interest groups give legislators their wish lists for changing the law. The ALEC corporate bill mill represents the institutionalization of a kind of corruption and distortion of our democracy that is unacceptable to a free people, especially in an era in which corporations and CEOs already have too much influence over our elections and public policies."

www.prwatch.org...

I never even heard of ALEC.

Look at what is going on.. “unelected corporate lobbyists actually vote as equals with state legislators” Really ?

Corruption everywhere you look, but yet so many smart people can't see it.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Wow this is mind bottling.

How much more is it going to take until the straw breaks the camel's back?
I think the time for talk and compromise has come and gone...a long time ago.

I talk to people about this kind of thing all the time, and it just seems to go in one ear and out the other. Are they being willfully ignorant? I don't get it. What is it going to take for everyone to wake up and get pissed off?

But you still hear people say, "I'm going to vote for Obama again, because I really think he cares about the little guy". AAAHHHHHHH!!!?????
(I know this article has nothing to do with Obama) But it's ALL of them. Voting them out has failed, petitions have fail, protests have failed.

I only see one option remaining.
edit on 16-4-2012 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I talk to people about this kind of thing all the time, and it just seems to go in one ear and out the other. Are they being willfully ignorant?

I think it's because it just sounds like a crazy conspiracy theory, and until people are personally effected by it, they just blow it off.

Voting them out has failed, petitions have fail, protests have failed.

Voting them out haven’t been tried yet. A lot of people think all they have to do is just go vote and forget about it. Who cares what they do once elected?.. that's the problem in my opinion. I say voting is the only option we have, it just has to be informed voting. But you can't be an informed voter if you watch TV News, MSM is not on our side!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Since a lot of light has been getting shined on ALEC as of late, many of their corporate partners are bailing. Among these are: Wendy's, Coca-Cola, Intuit, Kraft, McDonalds and so on.

A grassroots movement called ColorOfChange.org is spearheading the effort and getting some pretty awesome results. So much so, that ALEC released a statement recently b#tching and moaning about these awful hippies and how they are attacking this monsterous organization:

ALEC Annoyed at Losing Sponsors? It Breaks My Heart

Hey, ALEC. What can be said? Its just Democracy in action. C'mon, smile a little.

How bad are they? Here's a very small list from the above linked article:

ALEC has (with troubling effectiveness) advanced a slew of reactionary measures in statehouses throughout the country. Stand Your Ground? Check. Prison privatization? Check. Right to Work? Check. Discriminatory Voter ID laws? Check. The list goes on and on.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Where do you think bills like the Patriot Act and Obamacare come from? It's funny how something bad happens, and then all of a sudden a 2000 page bill just appears out of thin air. All of these bills are sitting in the desk drawer of some corporate hack just waiting for the right time to be released.
edit on 17-4-2012 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
You know I grew up on a diet of American TV, the American dream. Even though I am British we were shown the massive freedom of America, the right to life and liberty, the pursuit of happiness, it was the home of the brave, the land of the free. I grew up with a desire to visit all these wonderful places, meet some really interesting characters.

But looking at America now it is nothing like that country I grew up watching, things are bad here in the UK, but honestly its like watching a fascist nation rise up, so much so I would never even contemplate visiting there now, and the demise of this once great nation (It is still very powerful, but its ethos has gone) seems to keep accelerating faster and faster.

It sliding from a democratic capitalist society into a corporate fascist dictatorship. I really can't see Americans doing anything about it, 20 years ago if I had told Americans about the TSA, Homeland security, government bailing out banks to the tune of trillions, of corporations dictating societies laws, the patriot act SOPA, and all the other draconian things that have happened I would of been laughed, I would of been told, over my dead body we wouldn't have that, and yet look how it has turned out. People won't rebel, there too afraid to lose what they have, I read on here somewhere how there are 40,000 homeless children in NY, I mean c'mon that's a 3rd world statistic, WTF happened to you America?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrinceDreamer
You know I grew up on a diet of American TV, the American dream. Even though I am British we were shown the massive freedom of America, the right to life and liberty, the pursuit of happiness, it was the home of the brave, the land of the free. I grew up with a desire to visit all these wonderful places, meet some really interesting characters.

But looking at America now it is nothing like that country I grew up watching, things are bad here in the UK, but honestly its like watching a fascist nation rise up, so much so I would never even contemplate visiting there now, and the demise of this once great nation (It is still very powerful, but its ethos has gone) seems to keep accelerating faster and faster.

It sliding from a democratic capitalist society into a corporate fascist dictatorship. I really can't see Americans doing anything about it, 20 years ago if I had told Americans about the TSA, Homeland security, government bailing out banks to the tune of trillions, of corporations dictating societies laws, the patriot act SOPA, and all the other draconian things that have happened I would of been laughed, I would of been told, over my dead body we wouldn't have that, and yet look how it has turned out. People won't rebel, there too afraid to lose what they have, I read on here somewhere how there are 40,000 homeless children in NY, I mean c'mon that's a 3rd world statistic, WTF happened to you America?

What disturbs me the most is that people DON'T CARE !
Wake up !!!!!!!!

It will be too late pretty soon.

Bush, Obama, and Romney are the same, they don't care about you!!

We have a chance to stop this madness. We have one guy left who is like us, it's Ron Paul !!!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
We need an different governing system; the government has time and time again failed to represent us and our interests. What is the point of elections if you're forced to vote for the guy who's going to bring you the least harm rather than the greatest benefit?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
We need an different governing system; the government has time and time again failed to represent us and our interests. What is the point of elections if you're forced to vote for the guy who's going to bring you the least harm rather than the greatest benefit?

It's time to stop voting against somebody, and start voting for somebody already!
edit on 17-4-2012 by maxella1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) just became the fifteenth organization to disassociate itself with the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), the conservative group responsible for crafting model legislation on a number of contentious issues.

The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
is there any boycotts going on towards ALECs corperate membership?
if there is can you post links here i want to know who is part of this outrage?

anyone?

xploder

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
CMD Releases New Report “ALEC Exposed in Wisconsin: The Hijacking of a State”

“This report reveals details of the extraordinary influence of ALEC and its agenda on the Wisconsin legislature and our laws over the past 16 months,” said Lisa Graves, executive director of the Center for Media and Democracy. “This corporate-backed agenda undermines the rights of Wisconsin families while advancing the agenda of huge corporations and special interest groups.”

Six weeks ago, corporate members of ALEC started jumping ship when it became known that Florida’s “Stand Your Ground Law” -- linked to the Trayvon Martin shooting -- spread to over two dozen states via ALEC. So far, 14 corporate members and 45 legislators from other states have quit the organization.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by maxella1

the 1% scatter like roaches when their criminality is exposed,
an illegal lobbying group pretending to be a charity,

this should be celebrated,
and prosicuted

thanks

xploder

top topics

join