It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Celebrate International Dark Sky Week 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
As more lights turn on everywhere all over the world, the stars become hard to see.

We are now in "Dark Sky Week,"which runs from from April 14 to 20. This week was chosen because there is less moonlight than normal, making it a good time to see the stars. So go take a look - while we still can!

Anyone interested in outer space and astronomy knows about the "light pollution" problem. Unfortunately it looks like we going to get worse before we get better on this topic.

So this is a good opportunity to inform other people, turn out your lights when you can, and enjoy the beauty of the stars.

Dark Sky Week was initiated by high-school student Jennifer Barlow in 2003 to raise awareness of poor-quality lighting and its effect on our beautiful night sky.

Not only does light pollution stop us from gazing at the stars, it also wastes energy, changes life’s circadian rhythms, and causes other environmental problems, such as confusion in migrating birds and baby turtles.

Source:
www.theepochtimes.com...

edit on 16-4-2012 by SilentThundersGF because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
We have dark sky week every week now they turn the street lights off at midnight

It's fantastic actually, I was walking home the other night looking up at the stars. It looks so much better without the street lamps. Long live the energy crisis!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

where do they swich the street lights off?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
We have dark sky week every week now they turn the street lights off at midnight

It's fantastic actually, I was walking home the other night looking up at the stars. It looks so much better without the street lamps. Long live the energy crisis!

That sounds terrifying if such a thing was implemented where I live.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
It's too bad that most people can't pull away from technology and look at the stars anymore. I'm lucky enough to live in the country so I have dark skies quite often. Just wish we had more clear skies.

Also Mars is still shining bright and Saturn reached opposition last night. Here is a link to a thread with info on Saturn.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by haven123
reply to post by Acidtastic

where do they swich the street lights off?
A little town in hertfordshire near st albans. (Harpenden) I laughed when I heard it was going to happen. But I like it, it's brought the night back.

edit, here's a little local news article about it
www.stalbansreview.co.uk...
edit on 16/4/2012 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

top topics

join