It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catastrophic Plate Tectonics.. Run Away Subduction Indonesia..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Hi this is my first thread so be gentle with me!

I want to draw your attention to a possible scenario that may be taking place on the Indonesian plate boundaries..

Run away subduction:

One specific form of runaway subduction is called "catastrophic plate tectonics", proposed by geophysicist John Baumgardner and supported by the Institute for Creation Research and Answers in Genesis.[57] This holds the rapid plunge of former oceanic plates into the mantle caused by an unknown trigger mechanism which increased local mantle pressures to the point that its viscosity dropped several magnitudes according to known properties of mantle silicates. Once initiated, sinking plates caused the spread of low viscosity throughout the mantle resulting in runaway mantle convection and catastrophic tectonic motion as continents were dragged across the surface of the earth. Once the former ocean plates, which are thought to be denser than the mantle, reached the bottom of the mantle an equilibrium was reached. Pressures dropped, viscosity increased, runaway mantle convection stopped, leaving the surface of the earth rearranged. Proponents point to subducted slabs in the mantle which are still relatively cool, which they regard as evidence that they have not been there for millions of years of temperature equilibration.[58] Catastrophic plate tectonics is also associated with the creationist hypothesis that the Earth's magnetic field reversed direction many times in rapid succession during the year-long global flood.[59][60]

Although the theory is from a biblical creationist point of view I believe that it is still possible on a smaller scale..

In the last few years alone there has been an increase in number and magnitude of earthquakes in and around the Indonesian plate boundaries.. This maybe a cyclical occurrence however certainly in modern memory there is no record, however different cultural references worldwide point that a global disaster occurred in our distant past that was so profound that the ancients testimony of the event still survives to this day..

The mechanism is not clear, however if the more dense oceanic plate plunging under the continental plate is composed of a brittle or high ductile rock type, then massive pressures could in theory cause a catastrophic plate failure where the leading edge of the plate collapses into the mantle.. This would cause the overlaying continental plate to drop down too into the sea..

Could the increase in activity in the area be a pre-cursor?

Source

edit on 16-4-2012 by JaneC because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
If such a thing were to happen, the volcanic activity would be off the scale, and difficult to even imagine. Who needs nuclear winter when you've got a plate boundary disaster?

I'm a young-Earth creationist, BTW.
edit on 16-4-2012 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
some information on mr Baumgardner :

Baumgardner has a Ph.D. in geophysics and space science from the University of California at Los Angeles and works at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, is Adjunct Professor of Geophysics at the Institute for Creation Research.[6] He is a member of the Intelligent Design and Evolution Awareness Center.[7]

He became a Christian at 26 and has tried to prove the Noachian flood scientifically ever since, creating a computer program called Terra to model the flood.[3] In 1985, Baumgardner joined the controversial amateur archaeologist Ron Wyatt and salvage expert David Fasold to Durupınar, Turkey for an expedition recounted in Fasold's The Ark of Noah to locate the biblical ship's remains.[4] Baumgardner did not support Wyatt and Fasold claims to have found a boat-shaped 'object' which was the Ark. He argued that the object was a natural formation.[5]

John Baumgardner

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I have serious doubts about anyone who starts with a preconceived view of what is happening, then works to make the theory fit. Apparently this guy has a religious agenda, so I don't trust his motives.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Although his theory seems pseudo science and personal obsession, there is SOME merit in however and on a smaller scale possible..

Even if a small part of the plate collapsed the damage would be inconceivable.. It may also cause a knock on effect on the rest of the plate and beyond

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
*Another Young-Earth Creationist entering the fray...

It's an interesting theory - though I'm not sure how we can measure the theory until it's proven, one way or another... which isn't exactly a great thought regardless.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
No expert here putting in her penny's worth. I have been following events over in Indonesia for some time.
Now don't start berating me as I cannot supply scientific papers/reports at the moment, I just stopped by on a brew break from my gardening to add this.....

Indonesia is sinking at a rate of knotts...yes that is nautical knotts, and the reason I use that rate is because all the flooding you do see happening along the south and south west coastline is not due to rainfall as reported on MSN, but sea water. Since November the average landslip has been in the region of 5-6 feet..that is enormous in the given time frame.

I have to go get some more compost right now, but once it has turned too dark to garden, I will hunt down some of the reports I have been reading.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

If that's true I would imagine that the increased amount of water over the tectonic plates would change pressure and exert force in slightly new ways which would probably effect seismic activity in a way. And it would follow that an increase in sea level worldwide would effect seismic activity worldwide in some way.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Thanks!

This map shows how much the plates are cracking under pressure

This site shows pictures of how much the sea has encroached... Scary stuff!

Indonesia has sunk by 20 ft in the last few years alone!

Are we witnessing catastrophic plate tectonics in action??

Im starting to think so!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Some pictures of the Indonesian continental plate starting to sink into the sea.. Indicating a possible future catastrophic failure of the oceanic plate at the plate boundaries (subduction zone)

Graphic of a subduction zone

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mkoll

If that's true I would imagine that the increased amount of water over the tectonic plates would change pressure and exert force in slightly new ways which would probably effect seismic activity in a way. And it would follow that an increase in sea level worldwide would effect seismic activity worldwide in some way.

first sentence...correct

second sentence.....would you like to have a re-think about that statement?

Rainbows
Jane
edit on 16-4-2012 by angelchemuel because: keyboard!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
is this happening or suspect of happening anywhere else on Earth, or just Indonesian/Sumatra plate for now?

Cascadia (between (vancouver, seattle, sf?) comes to mind though it hasn't been letting off any pressure..

isn't that more worrisome when there hasn't been quakes even longer at a known deep subduction?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
couple of quick questions.

Are those areas in the pics not just tsunami damage?

Is there any info on this other than that dodgy looking site

Why the hell arent we hearing about this anywhere else..? it sounds massive!

edit: I've done some searching and cant find anything on this anywhere other than here, glp and some other dodgy looking blogs...
edit on 16-4-2012 by doubledutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JaneC

Thank you for saving me time going hunting for the info!
Add to this pressure the fact that Indonesia is the most active volcano region in the world, AND has two of the biggest super volcanoes...Yellowstone is a meh by comparisson...Mount Tambora ("Year without Summer" fame 1815) and then the grand daddy of them all Lake Taupo. The year after Tambora blew, Krakatoa went off.
Here's a link to Mount Tambora (my money is on this one blowing)

www.npr.org...

Do yu know what else is interesting? I have been playing arund with the antipde map...here

www.antipodemap.com...

and the antipode for Indonesia is Venezuela, Colombia, Panama, Equador, Peru...you get the picture. Now although this area has not had any major shake outs recently which has been noted over on the eq 2012 thread, what is interesting is that a lot of volcanoes in the region have become more active...just saying.

Rainbws
Jane

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by doubledutch

Apparently not but I cant confirm how truthful the site is..

Fact is, cities like Jakarta are sinking but tptb put that down to over-development.. I don't buy that considering the recent "floods" were not due to rainfall but to sea encroachment

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by JaneC

hmmm, yeah that kind of bothers me that it's no where else...

I read that the Jakarta thing is due to massive growth of infrastructure, draining of the water supply and the land sinking locally, not nationally...

more reading for me!

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JaneC

Could the increase in activity in the area be a pre-cursor?

Basically no. Those two quakes were strike/slip not subduction.

And of course you have to believe in subduction!

top topics

join