It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thoughts on philosophy forum.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Ok i know why a cube dosent roll what i am saying is why when you think about it why. I am trying simply to pose a imposible question. The question why is the impossible question. Science can reply how but not why. You see what i am saying is anyone can say why a ball rolls to which anyone can say why. So how or why are we here science cant reply i couldn't say science says its basicily meaningless. Then if it is meaningless 'Why' is it meaningless. In my opinion 'Why' is a state of mind that leaves only confussion.

I dont claim to know anything about Philosophy i only would like to see a forum for the subject i am no expert on the subject. The above may or may not be a philosophy based argument. Thanks i have done my best to explain my mind set. Thank you

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Your explanation is fine, and I understand what you were attempting to do.

My son, the philosopher, always claimed it was all those suppertime discussions that went on and on into the late evening (much to my wife's horror) were the very thing that interested him in the art of debate, which is the mainstay of all philosophy.
His younger brother also took philosophy in university as well...so I rather feel I must have been the cause.

Upon reflection, it was the type of topics discussed widely throughout the forums here in ATS that we all spent so much time debating....questions like 'are we alone in the universe?' or 'are all politicians crooked?'.

The professor son got his PhD by providing proof that Bertrand Russell was wrong in succumbing to Wittgensteins argument against the existance of God...showing once again that some philosophical questions can never be truly resolved (even by the most profound thinkers of the past century).

So, Shorty, thanks for clearing up the ball and cube thing.
And, by the way...never be embarrassed at spelling mistakes...as long as the idea is expressed, communication has transpired

peace, brother

[edit on 29-9-2004 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Wow, i'm not alone. I raised this very same question some time ago, but with little feedback.

Philosophy is chided due to it's complex infrastructure of study and thought. You can bick and moan all you want, but remember this: Our democracy has been molded by the greatest philosophers in the world; our freedoms were granted by the greatest philosophers in the world; our life is dictated by thier very words; our morals, virtues, values are all derived from the greatest philosophers in the world.

The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates.

Deep

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

So, Shorty, thanks for clearing up the ball and cube thing.
And, by the way...never be embarrassed at spelling mistakes...as long as the idea is expressed, communication has transpired

peace, brother

[edit on 29-9-2004 by masqua]

I dont get embarrassed about about spelling my hand writeing yes spelling no, i try my best if people want to take the micky let'em. I am glad i have cleared that up for you and i always enjoy it when people ask me to do things like explain any of my theorys.

Sorry i didn't mean to steal your thread i just haven't worked out how that search works i didnt expect anyone to have asked about a forum.

You dont want to be in my head its a scarey place!

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Would it really take that much effort to put this as a sub forum. I would Mod it if i could but i cant. What would you have to do to make one.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I am definitely in favour of a Philosophy Forum!
Perhaps posters in it should be required to display a basic knowledge of Philosophy (through u2u to a mod or a special 'philosopher mod' for the forum) before being able to post?
Possibly, I dont know..
Anyway..
thumbs up, good idea

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Philiosophy would be hard to test IMHO philiosophy is what you make it. Maybe we could have another name for it like the Sholars-Writers-fighters and philosophers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join