It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thoughts on philosophy forum.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I have put this on ATS and BTS, i wasn't sure which one it should be on.

I wondered if it would be possible to get a philosophy forum if there was enough support from ATS/BTS members. So please Mod could you tell me if this would be possible and members post if you think this would be a good idea.

Thanks for reading.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I think that's an awesome idea. It could be one of the most interesting forums on ATS if it was created.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Agreed. Philosophy is an amazing science and i'm looking forward to studying it in college. I think a philosophy board would have some great threads on it.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Philosophy is an amazing science

If there comes to be a philosophy forum, those with knowledge of Philosohy of Science can debate whether philosophy is a science or not

I think it's a great idea.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Philosophy is mental masterbation.

Can it give some real objective outcomes in the world? Or is it just farting in the wind?

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I studied philosophy and it was one of the main reasons I started believing in God. I think it would be great, it might convert some of the God bashers on the site, as well as enlightening people (or confusing them into depression, it can do that too lol)

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Philosophy is mental masterbation.

Can it give some real objective outcomes in the world? Or is it just farting in the wind?

philosophy is behind every decision that isn't whim.

and really, how much have the threads in the other forums affected, say, US foreign policy, human knowledge about God, and the aliens attitudes towards us?

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Yup, thats what I feared.....
Not only do we have the philosophical implications of living in a universe where the aliens are hostile to us, but we also have to debate the possibility that we are no more than sensory responses with no actual thought process at all (Hume?)

I studied philosophy for a year or 2 at uni, it was trendy and cool, then one day I realised it was all hot air and added nothing to the sum of knowledge.

Philosophy is like trying to take "fictional writing" as a record of actual events in the world and trying to build your world knowledge around it. You just end up chasing your tail in a puff of hot air that has no external validity at all.

There are people who love to build things with their minds, and then there are people who build things in the real world. I would follow the second, the first usually die mad....

However this is not to be confused with the study of "ethics" that I found to be one of the most enlightening courses i engaged in.

Sure I am for having a forum for it here, but would debate its actual value adding to the board.

Originally posted by quango
philosophy is behind every decision that isn't whim.

and really, how much have the threads in the other forums affected, say, US foreign policy, human knowledge about God, and the aliens attitudes towards us?

[edit on 26-9-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Sure I am for having a forum for it here, but would debate its actual value adding to the board.

put it in BTS then.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Philosophers have been and always will be the means to truth. ATS is a philosophical board in it's basic structure...ideas are put forth, tested by great minds and small...pureed, stirred, mixed and digested by hundreds, if not thousands.

To create a singular board which has as it's title 'philosophy', imho, is likened to seperating a tree in the forest and calling it a bush.

Philosophy is the study of what is...and if ATS does not study what is, then I stand with Darwin and say I'm a monkeys uncle.

If Russell and Wittgenstein have a debate about the existance of God, and the latter convinces the former that there is not, but then, 50 years or more later, another says..."Wait...there IS a God!!!"...does it not follow that the question is unresolved?

Nay, my fellow conspiracy theorists, rampant debunkers and all and sundry...a philosophical board would languish in amongst the trees of the forest, unheeded as a cow in a herd, a bird in a flock or a fish in a school.

We are all of us philosophers...we just ain't published yet.

Or are we?

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
A wonderful reply masqua, however I would question the comment "Philosophy is the study of what is". That I propose is too direct for philosophy, which appears to be the study of what "may be".

Science is the study of what "is".

Another reason for not seperating out philosophy from the rest of the board is the inability of philosophers to bite at bait. Trawling for a bite in a philosophers forum would be as fruitless as it appears it is here in this thread.

Personally I think real philosophers never read the Board Questions forum as they are unsure if it really exists or is just a shadow of reality projected on a cave wall.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I am also for Philosophy Forum, maybe combined with ethics.

Netchicken, you are a mod and all, your comments on certain board issues can be considered as "valid" in eyes of many, but you are way out of line here with your comments, IMO.
Obviously there are a lot of people who think that philosophy is worth discussing, so I think that one should respect that, and not talk about it in such arogant tone like you just did. We have plenty of other forums on BTS which are not fequented as much as War On Terror on ATS and that are not oh so world reality changing, extremely relevant to fate of the world and killing of people, like Weapons Forum or Politics. That is why we have BTS in the first place, to put all Forums there that do not sort of fit into the "Prime Directive" of ATS.

If you do not feel the need to discuss philosophical topics, simply skip them.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I shudder to think at what will end up being posted in a ats 'philosophy' forum. Perhaps only people with degrees in philosophy (ba on up) can post, but everyone can read? Or something like that. Many posters to ats seem to think that making up crap is somehow 'philosophical', or think that they are on to something new if they say 'like, what if the matrix was real man'.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by chebob
I studied philosophy and it was one of the main reasons I started believing in God.

Theology is a SMALL part of philosophy. You want the theology faculty mate.. its over there.. *pointing VERY far away*.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Philosophy doesn't revolve around any specific topic or discipline. Philosophy is basically the search for truth via logical deduction. Many theoretical physicists and pure mathematicians consider themselves equally as philosophers. More and more, as science advances and attempts to explain that which is beyond our everyday experience and ability to perceive with our 5 senses, theory is the result of thought experiments alone. And since current theory often cannot be confirmed experimentally due to current technical limitations, we're finding ourselves literally defining our "reality" by merely thinking of it. Take superstring and m-theory, for example. Science is truly bordering on the mystical more every day.

Anyway, although a philosophy forum is a nice thought, as would be a forum on metaphysics, I'm not sure how many people on this board would be interested or would understand how to use it properly. Instead of being a true philosophy forum, I have a feeling it would degenerate into a soapbox for every nut with a wierd thought, but without any logical basis for thinking it.

I don't know. I like the idea; I think it would be great, but I'm not sure it would work here. Hmmmmm ...

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
How many times has this been discussed and not come to fruition?

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Maybe the forum "Faith, Spirituality and Theology" needs to be renamed to "Faith, Spirituality, Theology and Philosophy" lol...

Seriously, I'm not against the idea at all, but one forum just for it? I think it could be bundled with soemthine else, like what I proposed.

[Edited on 27-9-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Maybe the forum "Faith, Spirituality and Theology" needs to be renamed to "Faith, Spirituality, Theology and Philosophy" lol...

Pretty much my thinking as well...

In the immortal words of Edie Breckel and the New Bohemians...

"Philosophy....is a walk on a slippery rock, Religion....is a smile, on a dog..."

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0rbid
[Edited on 27-9-2004 by m0rbid]

That's what I was thinking as well. If anyone wants to discuss Philosophy there's no reason why they can't start a thread on it over at BTS anyway (or in said forum), I don't think a forum of it's own is needed to justify it.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I would have to say that a Philo forum would be craptastic... As masqua said, ATS/BTS is a "philosophical board in it's basic structure." So we basically have no need for this type of forum. In each forum we already are discussing our philosophies.

Unless it were a forum to discuss philosophers (not yourself) and their statements from past and present, cause I have A LOT to say about Kant...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join