It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marriage HA! I'll be damned if I ever spend my life bound by a piece of paper.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
So I have this friend, whom is marrying her best friend of 9 years because, hell I don't even know why. I do know she just started to date him last month and is marrying him after a month of dating. Why?! I don't understand it at all. Why do 2 people wanna be bound by a piece of paper? I mean after all most marriages end in divorce making 1 of the people very very happy, and the other suicidal. Now I know that there are marriages that don't end in divorce but still, WHY?! Why can't people just trust that the other person won't cheat or do something they shouldn't? I don't need a piece of paper or vows or so called "god" to unite me and another person together. If someone doesn't trust me and the only way they will is by a piece of paper then count me out. I may be the only person that feels this way and if that is the case then the meme "forever alone" is definitely gonna be me.

Please don't come here saying "when you meet that special someone your thoughts will change" no I'm sorry but the special someone needs to accept the fact I don't wanna get married otherwise she isn't that special someone that I thought she was.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
theyv been friends for 9 years but just started dating?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
theyv been friends for 9 years but just started dating?

Yup, and then a month later decide "LETS GET MARRIED!"

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Marriage is stupid, I agree, but intelligence is something that most humans lack, especially when it comes to the self-hypnosis which most people mistake for feelings of love.

We've been brought up and socialized into believing that marriage is the ultimate virtue between a man and a woman, but reality suggests the opposite. Marriage tends to ruin relationships. This may be because marriage is a major sacrifice of personal freedom; its a pledge to literally spend your life with another person and be loyal to him/her.

Aside from this, a major proponent to the popularity of marriage is people's insecurity in regards to relationships. Marriage is basically sexual security, on paper; it's mutual sexual slavery. Insecure people tend to act very needy in regards to relationships and sex, and think of marriage as a way to patch this insecurity.

Logic and "love" don't often mix.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by neobludragon

HA!!!
Sure you won't.
Just wait until that pretty boy or girl that you are so hot for asks you the question then if needed gives you an ultimatum.
You will either do it or be lonely forever.
Both scenarios can be a loss but, with one you will be occupied.
Hope it helps

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

HA!!!
Sure you won't.
Just wait until that pretty boy or girl that you are so hot for asks you the question then if needed gives you an ultimatum.
You will either do it or be lonely forever.
Both scenarios can be a loss but, with one you will be occupied.
Hope it helps

Like I said, as soon as that question is asked i'm gonna realize shes not the one for me and i'm gonna say "no now don't ask again" if she leaves she leaves. Not my problem.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Sounds to me like she's doing it for the financial benefits involved. I'm not saying she's a gold digger, but there are financial incentives involved in marriage.

Myself, I think everyone knows by now my views on marriage in that it's more of a business arrangement than anything else. But, that being said, if I meet the right woman and it's important for her to have a white dress ceremony and a white picket fence waiting for us when it's all said and done, I'll be happy to accommodate her because I love her. But she's also going to know that I'm the type of man who takes the relationship and our love seriously. Not so much the institute of marriage that a piece of paper dictates it is.

I hope I'm clear on that.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple

Sounds to me like she's doing it for the financial benefits involved. I'm not saying she's a gold digger, but there are financial incentives involved in marriage.

Myself, I think everyone knows by now my views on marriage in that it's more of a business arrangement than anything else. But, that being said, if I meet the right woman and it's important for her to have a white dress ceremony and a white picket fence waiting for us when it's all said and done, I'll be happy to accommodate her because I love her. But she's also going to know that I'm the type of man who takes the relationship and our love seriously. Not so much the institute of marriage that a piece of paper dictates it is.

I hope I'm clear on that.

Yea not me, no piece of paper is gonna tell me how I run my life. As is I have to deal with a piece of paper that tells me where I was born, thats annoying enough.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Sounds to me like she's doing it for the financial benefits involved.

Based on which part of his entry?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Stick close to your friend...

He will need someone to lean on if this idea goes awry...

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Who cares what you think about marriage; no one is forcing you however you're in no position to judge others who do and it's none of your business!

You sound like someone who has been single a fair while......gee, wonder why!
edit on 15-4-2012 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

She* and nah, I have stuck by her through thick and thin and never once got a thanks or any of the sort so not anymore and marriage is the one thing I hate most on this planet. I have never gone to a wedding nor do I ever plan on going to any future weddings.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by neobludragon

She* and nah, I have stuck by her through thick and thin and never once got a thanks or any of the sort so not anymore and marriage is the one thing I hate most on this planet. I have never gone to a wedding nor do I ever plan on going to any future weddings.

Sounds like you're maybe just salty that she didnt choose you?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

ahh... hes a she?

Even better reason to stick close...

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

ahh... hes a she?

No its really not. Marriage pisses me off, and her even mention that shes getting married makes me hate her.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

ahh... hes a she?

No its really not. Marriage pisses me off, and her even mention that shes getting married makes me hate her.

Ouch dude... don't hate...

It only hurts you...

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I think most children, given their choice, would rather be raised by a married couple than a not-married couple.

Marriage should at least cause people to think twice before heading out the door and not looking back. Which is good for the kids in most (but not all) cases.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Sounds to me like she's doing it for the financial benefits involved.

Based on which part of his entry?

That they were friends for 9 years, dated for one month then got married. Sounds like she got tired of waiting for "Mr. Right", realized that her biological clock was ticking louder and louder and simply wanted what is the norm for this society; a stable relationship with kids and a piece of paper making it a legally binding arrangement.

Just my opinion of course.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Well, that piece of paper comes with some legal benefits

I'm happily married, but I had my outline long before I met my husband. One thing is make sure you can live with a person for more than a year before seriously thinking about getting married. Sometimes people can put on a face for a long time and you never really know a person till you live with them. I also believe (for my personal reference) getting married is something you do once. There are 2 ways out 1. divorce 2.death, If it ends in divorce I would consider it a tough lesson learned that the piece of paper is not worth the hoops to get out of, if it ends in death I could see eventually dating again and maybe getting serious but it would feel disrespectful of my spouses memory to remarry.
edit on 15-4-2012 by PutAQuarterIn because: I've got a lov-e-ly bunch of coconuts, deed-a-lee-dee

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
I think most children, given their choice, would rather be raised by a married couple than a not-married couple.

Marriage should at least cause people to think twice before heading out the door and not looking back. Which is good for the kids in most (but not all) cases.

Consider the fact that most kids don't know what marriage is...

They see mommy and daddy...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join