It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interactive videos explaining problems with our current electoral system and how to solve them

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I just found these videos on YouTube and wanted to share them with you all. They go in depth on what is wrong with our current 2 party, winner takes all, and electoral system using creative and simple explaining along with math. It also gives feasible alternatives to it. This is a must watch for anyone interested in government or Ron Paul supporters.

Current voting system

Summary (in case you don't want to watch or can't): Our current system is called "first past the post" in which the person with the most amount of votes wins, whether it's 20% or 80%. This inherently makes candidates with less votes vote against a candidate they don't like rather than a candidate they like. Over several election cycles, it turns into a 2 party system that the majority of people don't agree with.

Solution: Congress seats should be awarded proportional to the popular vote, group of people most underrepresented gets first open seats.

Solution: Candidates are ranked in terms of most favorite to least favorite. This is then used to choose who to give votes to, as the candidate with the least amount of votes is eliminated repeatedly until 1 candidate has a majority

Electoral college

The electoral college unfairly gives small states leveraged power per vote compared to larger states. And because of the winner take all rule, candidates don't have to focus on states where their party has a large lead. As a result, only 4 states are crucial to the outcome of an election.

Gerrymandering

Intentional changing of electoral boundaries for political benefit.

Equally divide all groups of voters

I hope you all enjoy these videos and find them interesting. I know I did!
edit on 15-4-2012 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The only people who want the Electoral system "changed" are communists. And the change is always toward a more "democratic" system.

The electoral system is the only thing that keeps California, New York, or any populous state from trampling on the sovereignty of the other States.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno
The only people who want the Electoral system "changed" are communists. And the change is always toward a more "democratic" system.

Judging by how fast you posted this comment, I'm guessing you didn't even watch this video and don't know what the serious issues are. Watch them first.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

You obviously don't understand how it works.

Tell me how a democratic election resulted in the loser winning the race in 2000?
How president Obama won 53% of the votes but 70% of the electoral votes?

That's not fair, that's not even. The way we elect our representatives (taking the electoral system out of the conversation) is biased. It's not communistic to believe that we can do things better than we've been doing them.

Explain to me how this 'perfect' system results in nearly half of all registered voters not even bothering to vote? When republicans swept the 2010 elections only 40% of the registered population bothered to vote.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Well.. seeing as we are a Republic, the electoral college is quite necessary. YOU don't elect the President. You need to understand this. Your vote for President is simply a SUGGESTION to the State that you wish the state to vote for such and such candidate.

States may however vote any way they want.

Originally the only Federal office we were even meant to directly vote on was Congresscritters .. Senate was voted by State governments and Presidents are chosen by State electoral delegates.

Now we can vote for Senatecritters as well as Congresscritters, but Presidentialscumbags still get voted by STATES. Not YOU.

I wish people would come to this understanding.

(Communist are not the only ones that desire to see the electoral college disappear. Just Liberals in general.. usually because they have no understanding of the Constitution.)
edit on 4/16/2012 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

top topics

join