It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

if an alien race makes contact in 2012, what would be the effect on world wide religon?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by repressed
reply to post by Jordan River

They could start an intergalactic war if the alien younglings are abused.

I would respond to that post if you weren't such a weak member

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
The Catholic Church are ready.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
No effect on World Religion.

The Catholic Chuch would arrange to have the visitors burnt at the stake for blasphemy

Islam would claim that they insulted Mohammed and stone them

Judaism would sell them out to the Catholic Church

Buddhists would say "hey, how you doing"

Mormons would ask for 10% of the value of their spaceship, and ask to be taken with them when they leave

Scientologists would ask for 80% of the value of their spaceship in return for a course on Planet Earth

Theocrats would ask them about their God and steal the best bits of their religion

Probably forgot a few, but hopefully I insulted quite a few people in this post !

As a disclaimer, I'm a Theocrat

edit on 16-4-2012 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by vister74

That why the vatican have been trying to pre-empt the upheaval this would cause with their " ET is our brother " statements and then their asronomer comes out with " I'd like to baptise ET "

they have had to do this - imagine the global paradigm shift that would follow ? I bet the possibility of ET showing up some time soon has put the wind up a few cassocks .

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by KAIARAHI
reply to post by vister74

IMO it would encourage everybody to take a second look at their interpretation of the wording / teachings of their respective religious convictions.
After all, if you replace the word god / gods with alien / aliens, it makes them all seem to say the same thing to some degree.

unless you're a Theocrat, an atheist, or just spiritual in general instead of religious.

I agree with a previous poster on here, while religious views may change, true spirituality comes from within and probably won't change all that much.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
If they really were aliens, as in aliens from another planet, I don't see how much would happen. The Catholic Church has already admitted the possibility publicly. Mainstream churches around the world would follow suit. The Bible, just as one example, does not claim Earth is the only inhabited planet. In fact, there is a passage where Jesus says something like, "In my father's house there are many mansions" which, in some circles, has been determined to mean "places other than Earth which are inhabited."

The fact is, we have been educated and indoctrinated for our entire lives that there very probably is other life in the Universe. Not a week goes by on ATS without someone loftily proclaiming, "Anyone who thinks there is no life elsewhere in the Universe is a moron!" The thing is, nowhere have I ever heard anyone proclaim that. When discussing UFOs, the most prevalent claim and assumption is "aliens from another planet."

In fact, the idea of aliens from another planet fits neatly into our rationalistic world view. The Universe exists in three dimensions. The aliens have to be from far away, and there's this speed limit of light thing, but even a dyed in the wool strict rationalist can be cool with the idea there might be a way around it that we just don't get yet. In short aliens from spoace fits our idea of reality. It's really not that far out there. It fits.

So the real issue here is this: What of the aliens are NOT "from space," but are from a different dimension that is "as close as your TV set"? What if we co-habit the Earth? What if "aliens" are from a place that is so completely foreign to our worldview that it challenges everything we think we know about how the rational world works? What if they came to us with a completely rational explanation foe ":heaven and hell," the afterlife, the existence of reincarnation, and the true nature of God?

Now THAT would shake some people up.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
No effect on World Religion.

The Catholic Chuch would arrange to have the visitors burnt at the stake for blasphemy

Islam would claim that they insulted Mohammed and stone them

Judaism would sell them out to the Catholic Church

Buddhists would say "hey, how you doing"

Mormons would ask for 10% of the value of their spaceship, and ask to be taken with them when they leave

Scientologists would ask for 80% of the value of their spaceship in return for a course on Planet Earth

Theocrats would ask them about their God and steal the best bits of their religion

Probably forgot a few, but hopefully I insulted quite a few people in this post !

As a disclaimer, I'm a Theocrat

edit on 16-4-2012 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

yep, I can just imagine david miscarriage face to face with ET - he'd probably have them in the sea org and painting his yacht so fast it will make their bulbous grey heads spin.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join