It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

if an alien race makes contact in 2012, what would be the effect on world wide religon?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
im woundering if anybodys thought of the impact alien contact would have on religon across the world!

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
at least
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Mon Apr 16 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I don't think anything will happen on religious issue , but it will confirm that their are to many lies being told to the public and the public will react on that mostly the political transparency will be standing trail, thats what I think . religious issues will be handled afterwards

link   
what effect?
one word--devastating.
It would make many question the validity of their beliefs.

link   
I guess it would depend if the aliens were to use religion to their own needs... such as say a alien race came down and confirmed Muslims to be the selected race and told them that they needed to purged the world of non muslims... there could be a war very quickly...

Depends on the intentions of the alien race that showed itself. If they were here to offer peace or if they wanted humans to fight themselves.

Would humans ban together as RR wanted us too.

Would we fight harder to believe in the supposed gods.

However it would turn out it would be better than tv

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by vister74

I wonder the same thing, but, more along the lines of how many ask questions about things that seems more like they're looking for an answer for what they should be thinking.

Too many people don't think for themselves and seem to actually prefer to be told what to think. When in doubt, ask a question about something on a website, or on FB or some other place online and sure enough, you'll get told what to think and the world will be right as rain again.

In other words, people that can't think for themselves will think what they're told to think. When it comes to religion, depending on the religion, some will welcome aliens as angels, while others rebuke them as devils, and still others will think them gods.

Hindus will be like; "What? They're not blue? Eh. Not ours then. Whatevah."

Anyway, yeah, there you go. Pick an answer.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
i was just wondering, what if the aliens said to us it was them that spoke to moses on that mountain, and told him to close his eyes so he could not see the technology they use?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The same people who chastise me for being an atheist now, will then all of sudden be all like, "well, duh, this just proves how great and powerful god really is," or some such non-sense. It won't change minds. On the other hand the Hindus may be be like see, we were right because we've been talking about space and space battles for, like, ever. It would be interesting, and deeply satisfying, if the aliens came down and were all, "Mormon, the correct answer was Mormon." As long as they don't come down and tell me that any of the Abrahamic cults were the one, that includes the big 3, and all it's evangelically-oriented off shoots, I'll be ok.

I just think it would be funny if the aliens came down and said they were the gods we had seen over time, and all the stuff we have written about it is BS. I would pay more money than is available in the world just to watch the faces of the super-religiously, self righteous when they find out we aren't the only hame in town. As someone posted above, what would all these people do when all of a sudden their religious enemies are the one's named "the chosen." would Muslims lay down for Jews? Or Christians for either? I don't think the American religious right would stand for any of it. I mean, "if they didn't pick us, then it's not really god"

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
It would simply separate the sheep from the goats. The Christians that aren't asleep are anticipating the return of manifest demonic presence, just like in the days of Noah. Most of the world will fall for their lies not realizing who and what they really are.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
The possibilities are many. IMO it would depend on what the aliens revealed about their origins, any past contact with earth and knowledge of ancient religious events and persons. They could endorse/support the beliefs of one or more religions or totally refute them. I suspect they would be tactful and offer 'concrete' proof.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
of course, god made the aliens that have no idea who the hell he is

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
They will be ridiculed, then violently opposed, then accepted as the truth.

Most religions would be forced to finally admit the truth, and the greatest swindle to date would come to a close.

There are a few religions that hold the belief that their makers came from the stars so it would just be a welcome back party for them!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Something to consider; who's to say if any given aliens were to show up on our doorstep if they were telling the truth?

It's human tendency to anthopomorhisize, give or see human characteristics, to anything and everything they interact with, including the cars they drive.

It wouldn't be far fetched for humans to bestow distrust on any visitation no matter what they say, or no matter what 'proof' they might show to validate their claims even if said aliens are being totally honest.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
There are many variables that would preclude answering this query.

Certain belief mechanisms would react differently.

Overall, I think that Christianity would be "ok" whith this, as the Vatican cam out a couple of years ago and basically said that it could accept that we are not alone.

In the Old Testimate, it says that (paraphrasing) God made main THEIR image and other such inferences to things that make modern man ponder.

Of course, if an alien race came here and tried to say that they were the ones that created us, and as such, WERE god, I think that the entire race of man would take acception to that.

I'd hope to experience that issue in my lifetime!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

ok i have invested some of my time addressing the muslim sites on this one, live cam sites like paltalk,stickam and this is a muslims take on this and it took quite some effort on my part to get a response,this is a near word for word quote

allah created everything so if there is aliens allah created them .

please dont shoot the messenger

the reason i was getting muslims stance on aliens ,was to investigate some of my own theories which i cannot post yet as i have not done 20 posts
edit on 15-4-2012 by stuthealien because: to explain why i was questioning muslims about aliens

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I don't think it'd make one bit of difference to Buddhism or Taoism. They don't rely on a creator God or whatever you want to say Muslims or Christians have, so they'd probably get on with absolutely no problem at all.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The best reply I've ever heard to the whole "What happens to religion if aliens arrive?" thing is this for a Mormon friend of mine...

"We will preach to them and attempt to CONVERT them."

Period end of story, no other comments. I died laughing, but gave it some serious thought.

I guess the question is do you think aliens would convert to say Islam or Hindu (Any given religion really,) or will they have one of their own, or will they be baffled by "Religion" in general (Maybe they don't have it back home)?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Probably less than is feared.

Organised religion rolls with the punches. Thats why its such an enduring scam. Mainstream religion will just adopt the 'god made aliens too' approach.

Some fools will worship the newcomers as gods. Or their religion if they have one.

Extremists will panic and commit acts of violence.

Just another day with the crazy monkeys of planet earth.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

It depends on how they revealed themselves. Also assuming these are other planet dwellers that exist under the same basic principles that we humans do. Or if they are ultraterrestrials that live in another dimension. Or if they are fallen angels leaving the impression they are from a star system in our galaxy.

There exist positive & negative beings in all forms. Some want to see us human children evolve and grow spiritually. The latter want to enslave us, corrupt us and watch us destroy ourselves.

It's difficult to say either way how we would react to meeting life forms from another planet. It depends on what they looked like. Any reptilian looking creature will be negatively viewed until trust is established due to some historical reference to such beings once existing and enslaving humans. So now many humans believing Reptilians are a race that kill, eat and enslave humans.

We have been conditioned as expecting any arrival or invasion by an alien species to look either reptilian or the typical grey alien. Maybe we need to think outside the box. What if an alien species lives deep within the Earth in our Oceans and all these Earthquakes causes them to rise up to the surface. Similar to an lost Atlantis return. Beautiful glowing creatures but they can only live in salt water conditions. We humans expect any alien coming here to arrive on a ship from outerspace. What if they arrived from the oceans? I think that would be awesome.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Actually, I think a better question might be: "What if alien MISSIONARIES landed and wanted to convert all of us backward, savage, humans over to their religion.

There's already precedence with Christian missionaries destroying/tampering with aboriginal cultural heritages all over the planet in an attempt to convert as many backwards primitive savages as they think they can get converted. Why not aliens doing the same thing, but to us?

Funny.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I dont know what kind of impact it would have on religion, I can only guess, which is what I will do now. Remember, I am guessing and simply writing from my own personal perspective.

The pope have stood out and said that the catholic church, considers alien life forms a possibility. So they have tried to cover their asses in case it did happen. The catholic church is lead by a group of very intelligent people. They would without a doubt find a way to keep their religion going and make even more money from it.

Most christians in Europe would not give it much thought. Most of us arent too religious, even though we are christians on paper. We get baptised, married and so on. But most dont think about our religion in our daily lifes or even on sundays. There are some who do. But the vast majority have changed their view on religion, to something not as big or important. In other words, we are ready to live without it. (Again.. MOST of us, not all)

Muslims and branches of that religion I cant say. I do not know enough of it. But considering that they still use their religion as the rest of us did a few hundred years ago, they would probably be devastated and confused.

The ones I am most worried about, are the religious Americans. (No offense, really) But America has large group of what I consider extreme christians. You know who I mean, the groups down south, who hates gay people, reads way too much into the bible and so on. How they would react to alien contact would be dangerous. The people who are in front of these groups, would most probably try and convince their followers that the aliens are demons comming for the rapture or some #. They would form militia groups to fight the aliens, wether or not said aliens are friendly or hostile. I know these groups are far from the majority of religious Americans. But there are enough of them to be considers a danger.
Alien contact is an extreme event, and these people have a way of reacting in extreme ways.

Edit: As others have mentioned, it depends on the how contact is made. Are the aliens hostile or friendly and so on.
edit on 15-4-2012 by needlenight because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join