It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain has sold more than half its companies to foreigners

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
How did our goverment let this happen.Its bad that most of the UK power companies
are foreign own but just think as you walk down the high st over half the shops and
business you see are not owned by people in this country.

For the past three decades, the UK has had a completely relaxed attitude about selling off its assets to companies based abroad. Indeed, most of the time, the swallowing up of yet another great British institution barely makes a headline.

Just think of how much tax is missed by the goverment as this countrys assets are sold to
companies who are based abroad and pay tax on profits in they homeland and the UK
needs all the money it can get.

But this has been going on since the 70s by goverment after goverment and leads
back to those nice caring people in the city of london and the quick buck mind set.

At this rate, it’s been said, it won’t be long before we’re all working for foreign companies. So how did we become so attractive to overseas predators? The answer is that it happened in stages, starting with the removal of regulations on overseas investment by former Tory Chancellor Geoffrey Howe in 1979. This was followed in 1986 by what’s known as the ‘Big Bang’, when a raft of restrictive old practices in the City of London were swept aside. Soon, foreign banks flooded into the City, gobbling up venerable British minnows such as SG Warburg, Robert Fleming and Schroders. Then came Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, who were so keen to keep in with big business that they refused to block any deals — even when the Russians eyed up British Gas.

This would'nt happen in the US as it protects its own so why do we let them strip the UK for
assets.Just remember kraft who bought cadburys who clamed they would not make any redundancies
then after the ink dryed on the contract made redundancies.

Some foreign firms even adopted the practice of making a fast buck by buying a company, stripping its assets and then selling for a quick profit. A classic case was that of the once-great department store, Debenhams, bought in 2003 by two U.S.-based private equity firms. Within three years, they’d stripped the firm of investment, loaded it with debt and sold it on at a big profit. By then, Debenhams was in such an enfeebled condition that it has taken years to recover

Dailymai l

Is there any politicians in the UK that cares about the long term interests of this country or
just up to the time of the next election.
edit on 14/4/2012 by skuly because: typo

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Nice thread

I agree. The politician's are selling us all out in the West while sensible places like China that care about their people protect themselves from outsiders.

China cares more about its people and their future than any country in the West.

edit on 14-4-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Yes and we are seeing the same things in Canada.
What ever gov't branch they want to prep to sell, they openly and blatantly mismanage in to the ground, then have the msm spouting off everywhere how it is no longer lucrative for the public to own.

Formed or built on taxpayers dollars, willfully deteriorated, then sold to outside interests for usually less than market value, is what appears to be happening all over.

And we sit back.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Outsourcing companies and selling domestic companies to foreign companies is all getting ready to globalize towards one world government. Don't you see? Think of things hypothetically, lets say things keep going the same way they are now, except the rate at which we are outsourcing goes up. Soon we will all be working for different governments other than the ones we pay taxes too. It's deep psychological conditioning and I'm sorry for sounding crazy but I am insane so I point these things out when I see them.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
it pains me to say that its the same here in australia. we are selling off all our farms to foreign countries. believe it or not, the threshold before any country needs permission to buy is $231 MILLION. anything under this...they dont need to ask anyone. we are being bought up by china, brazil, saudi arabia, etc. i am providing a link to an article on this and its 12 months old, in the last 6 months it has doubled.

www.crikey.com.au...

we are now finding ourselves in the situation that if its not foreign owned, then lets mine for coal seam gas. all this beautiful farm land that could possible feed most of the world, either foreign owned or mined.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
S&F for you.

I've been saying the same thing for years.

Foreign owned = Foreign profits.

But dont worry, the SCUMBAGS in power will recover the losses by stripping the poor and middle class of EVERYTHING they own.

My water, gas electric, rubbish colections, street cleaning etc etc is ALL OWNED BY FOREIGNERS.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dtaonats
Outsourcing companies and selling domestic companies to foreign companies is all getting ready to globalize towards one world government. Don't you see? Think of things hypothetically, lets say things keep going the same way they are now, except the rate at which we are outsourcing goes up. Soon we will all be working for different governments other than the ones we pay taxes too. It's deep psychological conditioning and I'm sorry for sounding crazy but I am insane so I point these things out when I see them.
I see it slightly different but the end result is the same.

Outsourcing companies and selling domestic companies to foreign companies is all getting ready to globalize towards one world company. Governments have nothing to do with it, they are just middle management.

The only question worth asking past this is 'are we there yet?'

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Why is this surprising or shocking ?

It's not the 1800's any more. We live in an increasingly technologically advanced world, where nations are becoming less and less insular and more closely entwined with each other.

The UK is one of the most developed and advanced countries in the world, with highly sought after companies and resources, so it's hardly any wonder that they prove popular with businessmen, consortiums and entrepreneurs throughout the world.

Britain makes up only 0.9% of the world's population, so I'm surprised that the figure for British ownership is as high as 50%.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by skuly

Well you know that the Western world since the sixties has had an open door policy due to liberal ideas of one world one people, but as we are finding out now, we should realign our strategy and look to the past for guidance, since the past is what shaped our nations and its cultural heritage.

So basically we need to play the Christian card.

Otherwise 2 billion Chinese 1 billion people in India and 1 billion people in Indonesia will overrun you in no time, now that they have some sort of financial capital base. They will just find ways to buy you out and buy themselves in which WILL lead to racial tensions.

So people need to wake up, and stop the immigration of non-Christian immigrants to North America and to Britain, France, Germany etc, or else you will lose your culture or, have to deal with enclaves of other cultures that are not compatible with your culture within your country.

And you know it may already be too late to play the Christian card because they have managed to erode the culture sufficiently that maybe no politician could even use that reality, to accomplish the preservation of your cultural heritage, because it might seem politically incorrect.

If it is not too late already, then we really should use that Christian card since that has always been the culture of these nations, and the only hope of preserving their cultures is by insisting on it to people, including immigrant politicians in those countries, who might see things differently.

Either that or we just nuke the lot with neutron bombs and take their stuff.

And if people want to know what to do, you have to get petitions and get right of anyone wanting to import immigrants from countries who are not Christian, since it is clear that they have no intent of ever adapting to the culture in these countries and wish to merely preserve their own culture within someone else's country.

Its time each country dealt with their own social issues.

We cannot have 12 children here since we cannot afford it but also because we are just more conscientious about over population. So having dealt with our population problems we are now to be overrun by those who did not manage theirs?
Sure, right after we nuke the lot of you.
Don't think we won't do it because we would do it much sooner than send you foreign aid.
Do a poll, and ask someone, if they would donate to those countries or would it be best just to nuke them.
People, have had enough.

edit on 14-4-2012 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

It's not the 1800's any more. We live in an increasingly technologically advanced world, where nations are becoming less and less insular and more closely entwined with each other.

The UK is one of the most developed and advanced countries in the world, with highly sought after companies and resources, so it's hardly any wonder that they prove popular with businessmen, consortiums and entrepreneurs throughout the world.

Britain makes up only 0.9% of the world's population, so I'm surprised that the figure for British ownership is as high as 50%.

Well Sherlock,I didnt see the word "shocked in the Op did you?

And are you saying that you agree with this international corporatism? Because it sounds like you do.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus
Well Sherlock,I didnt see the word "shocked in the Op did you?

No, but the term ''surprised'' wasn't in the OP, either, yet you didn't pull me up on that one.

Let's just say that, reading between the lines, the OP appeared to be shocked and/or surprised (even indignant) by a fact that seems suitably underwhelming.

And are you saying that you agree with this international corporatism? Because it sounds like you do.

So what's the real difference between ''international corporatism'' and ''national corporatism'' ?

Are you saying that you'd be perfectly happy if 90-95% of British companies were owned by British corporations ?

Surely, if one is against corporatism, then it doesn't matter what flavour that corporation is.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Its not about Surprise or shock.

ITS ABOUT BRITICH MONEY GOING ABROAD.

Just imagine if all that money stayed in the uk!!! You might find your pay packet is a little fatter as there would be less need to tax you so much/

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
If you want some examples of how people in Christian countries are more compatible with each other, in North America, how many Caucasians speak Spanish? What about French, German, Italian?

Those are easy languages to learn. Now how many speak Chinese? How many speak Hindi?

Why not? You want to be liberal and hold hands across the world and everyone drinking coca-cola, and sell your houses to them so you can retire. You want to sell your business to the highest bidder. No problem! Providing you move there to India and live with them. And learn Hindi and eat green goo, and or green goo with rice.

And by all means put the shoe on the other foot, and go there and build in their country and take over, they love it when you do that. Only instead of bringing them wealth, take their wealth this time.

Go and buy up their national treasures and flaunt your culture all over their sacred sites.

This idea that someone had that everyone was the same, fell flat on its face.
We are not all the same, we are very different.

Let me be the first to say it. We want our independence.
Just like you wanted it from the Brits.

We want you to give us our independence please.

edit on 14-4-2012 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Its not about Surprise or shock.

Who or what is Britich?

Thanks

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk and colin42

I had LBC on the radio today and there was a caller who ran a small company and
he was asked why he did't take on any apprentices and the reply was that it just
was not cost effective and cheaper to out sorce the work to china which go some way
to explain the youth unemployment all over europe.

globalization going to make us all minimum wage or worst.

edit on 14/4/2012 by skuly because: this writing sooo small

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I don't see too many complaints about the plethora of British-owned companies in every corner of the world.

Nor do I see anybody complaining about superior service or products which come from many foreign-owned British companies.

It's an international market, and that's not going to change any time soon.

Just imagine if all that money stayed in the uk!!! You might find your pay packet is a little fatter as there would be less need to tax you so much/

I don't have such a parochial and insular view on matters at hand.

Outsourcing jobs to cheaper labour markets does have its toll on the domestic workforce, I'm sure, but who are you or I to dictate how a business should be allowed to legally operate ?

The funny thing is that, most people who bemoan the amount of foreign-owned companies, and the outsourcing of work, are the same people who are strongly against government protectionism when it suits them !

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
"This would'nt happen in the US as it protects its own"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you kidding me? The USA has plenty of foreign owned companies and plenty of companies who have outsourced almost their entire operation abroad.

USA protects its own? Don't make me laugh.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I was thinking about this the other day walking through the rain.. It dripping down my face, hair, coat, onto the the floor where it found its way into the drains that are owned by foreign companies, thus the water that flows freely from the skies is bought and paid for with the permission of my government who I did not give the permission to sell my life giving fluid... That rains freely from above on my face...
.. And on my strawberry plants..

Screw them!!

I have not paid water rates for ages despite nasty letters... What they gonna do?? Cut me off?? Give me a ccj?? I could not care less

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

So what's the real difference between ''international corporatism'' and ''national corporatism'' ? Are you saying that you'd be perfectly happy if 90-95% of British companies were owned by British corporations ? Surely, if one is against corporatism, then it doesn't matter what flavour that corporation is.

No,but I feel that 'national corporatism' is the lesser of two evil's. I also feel that it encourages the corporation's to actually give a crap about the countries they start it. America has all those corporation's out of delaware sending jobs oversea's. That is wrong.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

No,but I feel that 'national corporatism' is the lesser of two evil's.

Why ?

I also feel that it encourages the corporation's to actually give a crap about the countries they start it.

Not really.

It just means that the corporations are forced to employ potentially sub-standard workers at prohibitive rates of pay.

America has all those corporation's out of delaware sending jobs oversea's. That is wrong.

What's wrong about that ? The fact that a lot of people in other countries are willing to do work as well as - if not better - than a pampered American is, at a lower rate of pay ?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join