It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am bipolar and I am scared and lonely

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hkkoru
I have a horrible temper, and manic depression. These could also be considered bipolar. I've found that you can easily control yourself, with a few tokes of marijuana. No lie. Calms you down. Then talking to people is a snap. Even if you sound stupid, and laugh. It's more enjoyable.

You shouldn't be telling someone to take a drug that can make it worse for someone who is bi-polar! MJ also isn't a cure all for bi polar, it will just mask it. I know from personal experience as someone diagnosed bi-polar manic depressive and tried everything before I sought professional help. My doctor even said she liked how honest I was when I told her I use to use mj to "help" when all it did was make my temper and depression worse, esp when I didn't have it. This person needs some kind of treatment to help his/her chemical imbalance. They don't need the temporary happy high it gives. This person wants to be themselves again.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Hkkoru

I am bipolar and do not recommend the use of marijuana. I have strongly felt that smoking pot was part of the equation that tripped me into bi-polar. I have, over the years, read other people on the net say that pot precipitated their first episode.

I have found that taking 5HTP helps relieve the depression. I take 100 mg in the AM.

Wish you the best. Hope you have a good support system. There are forums on the web where you can interact with other bi-polars. You may be able to find Bi-Polar Groups in the Google and Yahoo forums.

Check on you later. Got to go.

OP, please feel free to U2U me anytime.

edit on 4/14/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Everything that goes into your body has a chemical counterpoint in the brain. Drugs, medicines, food, drinks...all effect the brain. Thoughts and feelings also generate certain chemical changes. Dwelling on negative thoughts can create a neurochemical situtation that, basically, spirals one into a tailspin of negativity. This is why its so imperative that you break that negative spiral by doing something positive.

Mirror neurons are wonderful little things. Have you ever looked at someone who was smiling, and felt the urge to smile back? That's mirror neurons at work. Basically, the emotion you see others expressing will impact you and either bring you down to that level or up to that level.

Like attracts like, so to speak. Ever noticed how folks who are cheerful seem surrounded by cheerful people? Same reason: mirror neurons.

You can help improve your mood by being around upbeat, positive people. If you can't find folks to interact with (or are so depressed that you lack the will to do so), then try watching some of these videos

paper

baby

kids

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Take some Yoga classes, Balance your chakras. There are people very willingly to help you out.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Meditation is also incredibly helpful during any depressive or stressful time. I would use a guided meditation as if you do it yourself you might just end up laying there being depressed (that happened to me). Medication is key though, after being properly medicated you will look back on your un-medicated times and think "My god.. I really needed medication"

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Stadtsmasher

We all have our mountains to move. I think if you are not crazy, there is something wrong with you. So much injustice, cruelty, coldness and abuse in this world. We are all that matchstick girl.
They are different issues but everyone has something they need to overcome. Makes me think that is the real purpose to our existence. You do not know your purpose and it makes you feel anxious. Sometimes it is hard to just float and go with ...whatever...

...learn to float.

It was proven recently the best way to improve your happiness was to recount 3 blessings before retiring and remember 3 things you are thankful for. It was found to work across religion and genders, and including the plethora of psychiatric ailments that plague our dysfunctional society and people, OCD, ADD, bipolar, SAD, autism, generalized fear, anxiety, insecurities, psychosis, manias, and depressions. It is no wonder people self medicate. There are not enough doctors to go around and really only the wealthy can afford to treat mental disorders properly.

If exercise, proper diet , (no sugar alcohol or white flour, eat natural no processed/fast food) and counting your blessings is not enough to make the situation liveable - I hope you have good medical and can get the prescription drugs you may need to cope. I have to stress the diet and exercise however since only about 10% of patients with garden variety mental disorders still need drugs after regular exercise and minor changes in diet are tried first.
Personally I prefer the periodic torture along with the creative mania of this illness and forgo drugs. I try to schedule my breakdowns for Sunday and get plenty of sleep which you should do as well. "Sleep that knits up the raveled sleeve of care" Sometimes just a nap can change everything. You wake up in a different mood. And keep writing, maybe keeping a journal of your illness and moods. What happened that day, what you ate and how you felt. You may see a pattern take place. All the best to you.

edit on 15-4-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join