It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young Children, and toy guns?? what's a parent to do??

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
reply to post by zerozero00

I think you should just put your kids in a rubber room, they might get hurt.

Guess what, boys (and some girls) like to play WAR when they are children, I know some of you might not like to admit this, but violence and brutality are part of human nature.

Your society is a mess!

You the parents create your own childs reality..........If you want them to accept violence and brutality as human nature then you won't mind them becoming your reality!

Teach them the truth about the war machine, teach them the truth about Hegemony!

Oh better still....Learn about HEGEMONY yourself 1st!

Talking to you lot in this thread is like banging my head against a wall!

Just keep signing up , thats all you need to do to keep the war machine rolling, just keep signing up!

My children are grown up thanks!

Both are very socially aware and would never join any armed forces because they believe it to be wrong!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
reply to post by JakiusFogg

If you played with guns as a child and managed not to grow up into a nutter, why would you think your lad would be any different?

It's easy to read too much into a kid's play time.
They're just learning, exploring. Cutting off an avenue of expression may stunt their development in some way.
I'd say give him guns and toy soldiers if that's what he wants, at least then he won't get left behind in a few years when he plays COD 22 on your vr console.

This should've been the end of the thread.

Second line, I guess.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

Originally posted by SprocketUK

If you played with guns as a child and managed not to grow up into a nutter, why would you think your lad would be any different?

It's easy to read too much into a kid's play time.
They're just learning, exploring. Cutting off an avenue of expression may stunt their development in some way.
I'd say give him guns and toy soldiers if that's what he wants, at least then he won't get left behind in a few years when he plays COD 22 on your vr console.

This should've been the end of the thread.

Second line, I guess.

/TOA

My whole argument is based around the Fact that they will not become soldiers if they believe it to be wrong!

Its got nothing to do with growing up to become a nutter!!

COD is just training your beautiful little child to be a ruthless soldier...Believe it!

Xbox Controller used for a UAV spy play

So as far as the majority go here none of you have a problem with your children becoming soldiers fighting unjust wars for billionaire corporations?....Surely I must have that right!..yes?

Just to add from the above link!

Jake woodnutt January 2, 2008 at 2:40 pm # this is so cool, i am 13 i was born in 1994 i would like to be in the army when i am older and be part of the spy plane team

Now do you get it?
edit on 15-4-2012 by zerozero00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg

Out of my window in Mexico, I see Cartel member running around in BMW's shooting and buying police as they see fit. I see bus loads of working people being hijacked and burnt in the street. I see teenagers with guns thinking it makes them a man.

if this were 1980's UK no problem. but it isn't its 2010's central Mexico, with all the problems of the cartels and latino macho gangs. where guns are things to be played with. And I dont want want the perception of these things to be "things to play with" when I know that the exposure to the REAL thing here in mexico is not that far away (in age), when the line of distinction between play and blowing someone head off for real has not yet been fully established.

All the more reason why you Should let you kids play with guns But teach them responsible gun behavior. Your kid is going to need to defend himself or his family one day and he will not need memories of a dad that made him afraid to learn about and use a gun.

He needs memories of a strong loving father figure who taught his son good gun responsibility and gave him the tools he needed to save his life from thugs. Let him play with the guns now, teach him well and when he's older, buy him some guns and teach him how to use them.

And pray that your kid doesn't grow up to be a thug himself.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I would say, turn off the Teli and teach him. It is better to learn from you.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I doubt that many would agree with the choices I have made with my boys and guns, but they have an infinite respect for firearms. My boys received their first bb gun at age five and their first rifle at age seven. The real guns have helped to impress the importance of gun safety and we handle all guns the same, whether or not they are real or toys. All kids will be a little different in the time that they become able to comprehend the importance of firearm safety, but we should make it our goal to begin impressing it upon them from the earliest possible moment.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Came in late so I haven't got to read the whole thread. From personal experience, boys are born with it, yep. It's some kind of primitive instinct we fellas have or maybe a past life recollection, I'm not sure. I remember being completely engrossed in the ways of warfare when I was a kid. To the point where I seriously considered joining the military. My advice: let him do his thing, he'll grow out of it. I'm a pacifist vegetarian now and laugh back on all that stuff now. It's just a phase that boys with too much testosterone go through.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I played war with toy guns, and BB guns growing up. I also play COD with an xbox controller quite a bit. Are you implying I'm going to be a murderous soldier in a few years? Growing up I was aware that war was wrong, and killing people was bad. That didn't mean that I didn't like to play war or pretend battle with my friends. That's the thing, we just played, there was no thinking "Hey is this wrong" since we are using "pretend firearms". Nope.

It was just plain having fun, no matter how you want to skew it. Society creates murderers, not toy guns.

edit on 15/4/12 by Indecent because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Indecent

Its called social conditioning!

Social conditioning refers to the sociological process of training individuals in a society to act or respond in a manner generally approved by the society in general and peer groups within society.

just wiki

You and your friends have been conditioned to accept war ........maybe one of you will make a fine soldier!

edit on 15-4-2012 by zerozero00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The problem isn't a toy gun, sword or any other toy weapon. These are things boys tend to like and denying them that is kind of like neutering them. The problem is the lack of moral instruction at home coupled with large amounts of media that do not give moral instruction. It is up to you the parent to teach your child to play with such toys in the proper moral context,

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
To OP, i do understand your concerns. There are some differences between growing up 20-30 yrs ago and today. For one thing, video games such as halo and modern warfare were not prevalent, or not even available. Due to immediate access to news , we see and hear horrific info happening with alarming speed and graphic explanation. I do not think people are more evil or that even guns are more accessible. We as a society r much more sensitive, which is not a bad thing. We cannot stop our kids from all outside forces such as msm and friends. It sounds like u r aware of what your kids do and say; you teach them right from wrong and the value of all life.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I don't blame you. I'm not a father or even close to being one but I have little cousins and have seen that too. This world is getting more violent every time. It's everywhere: in the streets, in schools and especially in the media. Movies show alot of violence and cartoons too.Does your kid see TV? Media is one of the most influential brainwashes. It's making the children think that violence is something normal because they see it everywhere. I'm just saying its something that's going to be everywhere.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I suggest you do not allow toy guns in your house. Relatives who don't agree with you and get mad about finding out you discarded the toy guns given to your kids are relatives you can get along without. When you find toy guns left at your home, put them in the trash.

When you oldest is about twelve, purchase a .22 rifle announce it is a gift to your child and put it under secure lock and key. Take you children often to an orgainized gun club and teach them to shoot. Keep the gun under secure lock until they are old enough to handle a gun on their own.

Whenever you have the chance say " guns are not toys, there is no such thing as a toy gun "

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

I'm a father of a 14 year old, so I'm eminently qualified to "get it". My son has good sense, and he's shot a few real guns of mine, not to mention builds them out of Legos and draws them all the time. Yet he's one of the most sensitive and caring young men I've ever met. His friends are far more aggressive, yet they don't even play with toy guns. My son loves Nerf guns, but he's very careful with what and whom he shoots.

Guns don't make you a ruthless soldier. Military training does. Guns don't make you do anything you don't already want to do that your environment has taught you.

/TOA

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerozero00
Why is pointing a "toy" gun at someone so wrong if he is allowed to play war?

Driving a car at 180mph isn't safe either, unless it's on a track. Get it? It's about doing something in a CONTROLLED environment, versus doing it in a random environment.

what is it you tell him that is wrong if he thinks its ok to "Play" war?

As much as you'd like to see the male gender turned into a bunch of sniveling pussies, it's not going to happen. Testosterone has a way of doing that. Kids play war. Paintball and Airsoft are popular sports.

with your rhetoric he will end up killing someone with a real gun.......as a soldier!

Perhaps.

No wonder we have thousands of teenagers around the western world just dying to join the armed forces, because they know no better!
I say shame on you!....Shame on you all for letting our children down!

You'd rather they sit on welfare, or get a degree in liberal arts, which has ZERO value, and then wind up camping in a park somewhere threatening violence toward people who worked hard and earned a living?

War is not ok, death by the gun is not ok!
Whats up with you lot!

Yeah, tell that to the Polish, French, Jews, etc.

I feel sad that i'm a total minority here......there is no hope for our kids until war becomes unacceptable!

Are you saying you don't like Democracy? Or, do you only like it when YOU are the majority? See, that's why the U.S. is a REPUBLIC!

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

As a parent you are a free to educate your child as you see fit. I grew up with guns and knives... never used it against a person or animal. it is a mindset to commit harm.. as you can commit harm on another person without actually using a weapon.

anything can be a weapon. so you need to educate children not to harm their fellow man not avoid weapons.
edit on 16-4-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
When I was a child a gun was a tool and not really a man killing device. Now it is mainly a man killing device, but in some places, it is still a tool for survival. So it depends on the culture around you if you want to protect your child from depravity.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join