It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"God" didn't put that meal on your table

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
What is the purpose of saying grace? Personally I find it insulting that someone would sit there and thank a mythological being for bringing them food.

How about you thank the farmer for busting his ass so you could eat that food? How about saying thanks for the butcher that spends all day chopping up meat and goes home smelling of blood every night? What about the truck driver that drove that food across the country for you? How about you thank YOURSELF. I can't speak for everyone, but in my house God doesn't drop off free groceries every Saturday.

How can someone work their ass off all week and thank God for their food? Or worse, come to my house as a guest and proceed to thank God for the meal I put in front of them?

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
So did you forget to genuflect? Or bend over.....

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by orbitbaby
So did you forget to genuflect? Or bend over.....

Is this supposed to be a coherent sentence? Are you setting yourself up in case you ever need to plea insanity?

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
No plea is needed. I'm done with both.
I was in fact, agreeing with you OP, even if it
was hard to fathom my sanity/insanity.

edit on 14-4-2012 by orbitbaby because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I will speak clearly so I will not be misunderstood I would not really thank the butcher farmer or truck driver they are paid for there service, so why would I thank them for doing there chosen job no there is only 3 people that I would thank....................... ME MYSELF and I
edit on 14-4-2012 by gaurdian2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

vvv

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

How can someone work their ass off all week and thank God for their food? Or worse, come to my house as a guest and proceed to thank God for the meal I put in front of them?

You could make a sign for the yard:

"Leave your first amendment rights at the door!"

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Instead of being insulted, shouldn't you be happy that you are so enlightened to actually realize that his/her god is just some silly mythological being?

I mean, i would be very proud of myself and jumping with joy if i was so sure about something like that, and just pat myself on the back for being more mentally evolved.

I mean, you should feel complimented that their crazy nutty belief just made you realize how superior you really are.

All hail.... you!

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Essentially the logic of thanking God for meals stems from thanking Him for allowing the person offering the prayer to be able to put food on the table. Also, for allowing that person to be in a relationship with God. I personally don't offer prayers while eating, but I believe this is the gist of the idea of the majority of my religion.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

God gave you the privilege of being born into a moderately well-off part of the world, where opportunities for work exist, and he has preserved you in the state of good health you needed to go out and work for your food. So yeah, a little thanks is due in my humble opinion.

Try not to be so cynical, and count your blessings. They add up really fast. For example, I have two healthy, smart children. I have a house to live in which has a nice garden, and a car to drive in. I have enough money to put food on our table, we have all the necessary furniture, and we even have some luxuries like a TV and a laptop. All this in spite of the fact that I am unable to work due to ill health. I thank God for the righteous choice of the UK government to give provision for those who are long-term sick or disabled. I live in a nation of opportunity, and one day I may be able to set up a business of some sort. These are the simple and excellent blessings that I am thankful for.

I could have been born in an Indian slum, having to walk over rubbish tips every day of my childhood searching for goods to sell in order to eke out the most basic form of survival in total and abject poverty. I could have been born in an African village where the crops fail more years than they grow, and water is half a day's journey away.

Count your blessings and you may be surprised at how high they stack up.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
God didn't put that meal on your table... but He created the plant and animal life that end up as food on your table.

edit on 14-4-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
What is the purpose of saying grace? Personally I find it insulting that someone would sit there and thank a mythological being for bringing them food.

How about you thank the farmer for busting his ass so you could eat that food? How about saying thanks for the butcher that spends all day chopping up meat and goes home smelling of blood every night? What about the truck driver that drove that food across the country for you? How about you thank YOURSELF. I can't speak for everyone, but in my house God doesn't drop off free groceries every Saturday.

Remind me to never goto your house.. You might complain that I didnt thank the carpet maker for putting carpet under my feet.

Does it really matter? Why on earth would someone elses thanks harm you in any way shape or form?

some peoples kids... i tell ya

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I must add OPer. next time someone tells you thank you for the meal, make sure you dont say you're welcome. Remember... it was someone else who grew it. You just did the lazy part of picking it up from the store and throwing it into a fire.

Hmmm wonder what else you wouldnt be thanked for in your every day life...

Someone seems to have a lil urine in their cornflakes this morning.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyInTheOintment
reply to post by Adyta

God gave you the privilege of being born into a moderately well-off part of the world, where opportunities for work exist, and he has preserved you in the state of good health you needed to go out and work for your food. So yeah, a little thanks is due in my humble opinion.

Try not to be so cynical, and count your blessings. They add up really fast. For example, I have two healthy, smart children. I have a house to live in which has a nice garden, and a car to drive in. I have enough money to put food on our table, we have all the necessary furniture, and we even have some luxuries like a TV and a laptop. All this in spite of the fact that I am unable to work due to ill health. I thank God for the righteous choice of the UK government to give provision for those who are long-term sick or disabled. I live in a nation of opportunity, and one day I may be able to set up a business of some sort. These are the simple and excellent blessings that I am thankful for.

I could have been born in an Indian slum, having to walk over rubbish tips every day of my childhood searching for goods to sell in order to eke out the most basic form of survival in total and abject poverty. I could have been born in an African village where the crops fail more years than they grow, and water is half a day's journey away.

Count your blessings and you may be surprised at how high they stack up.

So it's because of god that you are blessed with.... taxpayers. But I guess god created the taxpayers, or something...

Honestly, and this is just my personal opinion, I'd rather be born into an Indian slum than the UK.

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
God didn't put that meal on your table... but He created the plant and animal life that end up on as food on your table.

I disagree.

reply to post by theRhenn

Your kindergarten level reading comprehension is showing. I'm one of the many people that had a hand in putting that food on the table. God, however, didn't do #. So thanking me would be appropriate... but don't sit at my table and thank someone else for that food. Might as well thank my neighbor.
edit on 4/14/2012 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

Maybe you should put your pride in check,

the only reason you have that food, or your home to eat it in, or your life, or your intellect, or your ability to bash god,

Is because God is continually willing it and allowing it,

I know, God is an evil tyrant, he is so evil in fact that he allows you to hate him with all your being and show no respect or gratitude for creating you and the world around you, and still blesses you abundantly and gives you innumerable chances to come to Him, whenver you're ready......

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
God provided the weather and water to grow the food.
God provided the sun so the plants could grow and provide warmth so we could raise livestock in habitable conditions.
God gave us good health so that we could plant, work, harvest the crops.
God gave us the seeds to plant and provide food for our tables and sustainable living.
God gave us brains, knowledge and good sense so that we could read the seasons and signs and plant and prep and put up food.
God blessed us with all of these things and more... and we should be thankful.

I am a farmer. I work full time at a job and then come home and raise food for my family and friends and neighbors, and the excess we sell. We raise livestock such as goats and pigs and chickens.

When you see a small baby kidd goat born and see the tenderness and concern in it's mother's care and cleaning of the kidd and see how the kid instinctively knows what to do...you see God.

When you plant a small seed and it grows over a few weeks into a stalk with enough food on it to feed a family a meal...you see God.

When the precious rain comes down and the sun comes up everyday and you see just how small we are in the universe... you see God.

When you see the cycle of nature and the seasons go from winter to spring to summer to fall... you see God.

You don't have to believe in God. You don't have to thank Him. You can thank the farmer's... and then thank God for them.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

It doesn't matter whether your good or bad,
or whether you believe in Him or not,

he's gonna rain on you, and provide for you, and bless you, and breathe into you, no matter what

St Matthew, Chapter 5 verse 45That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
edit on 4/14/2012 by Iason321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

actually God put the air in your lungs when you woke

God does that for me everyday... and I truly appreciate it.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

When Satan had Jesus killed on the cross (a pagan symbol at the time), the sun was blotted out for a time and there was darkness. What is the significance of this? Sun worship was at the heart of many pagan and man made religions, as the ancients knew it was a source of great power. God covered the sun and tore the veil in the temple to show the creator's dominance over the creation. This showed that God must come to man, not the other way around.

So, if God is the source of the Sun, and thus all plant, animal, and human life...

Who does the Mexican farmer thank?
edit on 4/14/2012 by DarkKnight21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta

How dare them not bow to your feet...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join