It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you noticed Facebook's selective CAPTCHA?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
How widespread is this problem? When you share a conpiracy-oriented link on facebook, do you often get the "CAPTCHA" test that tries to confirm you are human? It essentially can easily double as a nag screen to deter posting of certain content.

I have noticed this very often when I try to post links of a certain nature -- conspiracy-related ones. I have read here on ATS of at least one other person noticing the same "phenomenon" and that user (truthseeker1984) noticed it each time trying to post conspiracy links. Perhaps it "kicks in" if it notices someone is sharing a high number of links, but I haven't tested this myself.

I have tried sharing a MSM site story just now, and that posted without the captcha. After, I posted a link to www.blacklistednews.com, and it also went up without the captcha. So, with that test, it seems like it isn't discriminating, but still, I have noticed this happening most often when I post conspiracy-type news.

Anyone else notice the same thing? Maybe it's not related to the conspiracy genre but more just any site that isn't mainstream. (Trying to consider what other reasons may exist to explain.) But, this is facebook, so I would not give them the benefit of the doubt...

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

Just a thought...

Could it be that facebook makes you do a CAPTCHA when you post things in quick succession? To make sure that bots aren't flooding their servers with posts?

That would be my guess it's probably mostly automated based on size of content and frequency. Although they could potentially list key words that would initiate a CAPTCHA I suppose.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I have had it happen to me a few times.

But from the best of my recollection it only happened when I tried to post a controversial video.

I don't remember it ever happening for pictures, articles, websites or quoted text.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Happens on youtube on a daily basis for myself. I don't post curse words often or anything that would be flagged so I've always been confused by it, though it seems to especially happen whenever it's anything government or conspiracy related.

All the same, those random generators are starting to annoy me to no end. 90% of the time I can't read what it shows.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I have noticed this a little, the other thing I have noticed is when posting to groups of a "touchy" nature, or posting a comment to certain posts on some people's wall who might be considered slightly radical, or controversial, I get a warning screen with a notice that if my post is irrelevant or inappropriate, i may be banned from making public posts, I even got this once trying to post something some would consider anti-TPTB on my own wall.

I wonder if this is the same deal.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

t
You would think so, but I've gotten "captcha"d on posting a single line. It's always a similar type of links, I just can't think of what kind they are at the moment. There's definitely something to it.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Over the past week, I've had captcha come up on facebook a few times. Considering how unimportant updating facebook is to me, I simply close the facebook window and do something else. I have no interest in trying to match the captcha. I've stopped a large amount of internet activity because of the captcha. Looking back, I really didn't need to visit or use those websites anyway. Facebook, may be the next to get thrown under my captcha bus.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by daynight42

Just a thought...
Could it be that facebook makes you do a CAPTCHA when you post things in quick succession? To make sure that bots aren't flooding their servers with posts?

I hadn't, unless a post an hour before counts. (It could, but that seems too short a time frame to me.)

Originally posted by murkraz
All the same, those random generators are starting to annoy me to no end. 90% of the time I can't read what it shows.

Same here. They seem to be getting more difficult. If it's hard for us to read, then it must be very difficult for a computer program to decipher.

reply to post by RyanFromCan

Not sure. Could be. The things I tried to post were made available only to people on my list.

reply to post by tamusan

Well, posting things is one way to get the word out on certain issues. There is enough junk posted to FB walls. Still, I don't see anything I post changing anyone's mind. They either have their heads in the sand by not being made aware of things, or they are somewhat aware but choose to put their heads back in the sand.

new topics

top topics

join