It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who wrote the best argument against Christianity?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I read Thomas Paine's The Age of Reason and it absolutely destroys Christianity on every front, the poor man was even exiled for this writing. But what else is out there? If you know of a good piece of writing that exposes the nonsense of Christianity please post it.

Here's a link to the age of reason. www.deism.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Ummmmm.....

You might be missing the most famous of them all....

The Anti-Christ - Friedrich Nietzsche

Here is Friedrich Nietzsche's great masterpiece The Anti-Christ, wherein Nietzsche attacks Christianity as a blight on humanity. This classic is essential reading for anyone wishing to understand Nietzsche and his place within the history of philosophy. "We should not deck out and embellish Christianity: it has waged a war to the death against this higher type of man, it has put all the deepest instincts of this type under its ban, it has developed its concept of evil, of the Evil One himself, out of these instincts-the strong man as the typical reprobate, the 'outcast among men.' Christianity has taken the part of all the weak, the low, the botched; it has made an ideal out of antagonism to all the self-preservative instincts of sound life; it has corrupted even the faculties of those natures that are intellectually most vigorous, by representing the highest intellectual values as sinful, as misleading, as full of temptation. The most lamentable example: the corruption of Pascal, who believed that his intellect had been destroyed by original sin, whereas it was actually destroyed by Christianity!" -Friedrich Nietzsche

www.amazon.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
The World Better off without Religion, aka god.

www.npr.org...

The PDF file----loaded with strong logical rebuttals that tells religion of low worth.

intelligencesquaredus.org...

edit on 13-4-2012 by MagnumOpus because: Smoking hot debate the smote religion, soon to become nonexistant and replaced with science.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
It's been a while since I've read either of these, but I remember how impressed I was with their writings.

Madam Blavatsky en.wikiquote.org...

While Moses forbids 'graven images' of Him whose name is not to be taken in vain, Spinoza goes farther. He clearly infers that God must not be so much as described. Human language is totally unfit to give an idea of this "Being" who is altogether unique. Whether it is Spinoza or the Christian theology that is more right in their premises and conclusion, we leave the reader to judge for himself. Every attempt to the contrary leads a nation to anthropomorphize the deity in whom it believes, and the result is that given by Swedenborg. Instead of stating that God made man after his own image, we ought in truth to say that "man imagines God after his image," forgetting that he has set up his own reflection for worship.

Baruch Spinoza en.wikiquote.org...

I make this chief distinction between religion and superstition, that the latter is founded on ignorance, the former on knowledge; this, I take it, is the reason why Christians are distinguished from the rest of the world, not by faith, nor by charity, nor by the other fruits of the Holy Spirit, but solely by their opinions, inasmuch as they defend their cause, like everyone else, by miracles, that is by ignorance, which is the source of all malice; thus they turn a faith, which may be true, into superstition.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
- Bertrand Russel's essays "Why I'm not a Christian", "What is an Agnostic," etc. are all sound and logical arguments"
- Anything by Nietzsche (Antichrist, Twilight of the Idols, Beyond Good and Evil)
- Christopher Hitchens' "God is Not Great" has many great arguments against all religions, saints, supposed prophets etc.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I'm gonna say this,

and get flamed for it,

But I don't care, since I'm about to goto bed:

Why are you all placing massive amounts of faith in foolish men who are now nothing but wormfood and dust? Neitchze and Hitchens are dead, rotting in the grave, flesh decomposing, and souls snuffed out in Sheol.

Jesus Christ is alive, risen, reigning supreme from Heaven,

I'd rather spend eternity with Him, alive in Paradise,

than dead in the ground, rotting with Hitchens and the rest of the wicked.....

(dont give me crap about Hitchens being a good man either, his soul purpose in life was to destroy other peoples faith, reak havoc in peoples lives, and profit off of mysery)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

And after his mental collapse he spent his last few days screaming Bible verses from the King James whenever he opened his mouth to speak.

Poor soul.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321
I'm gonna say this,

and get flamed for it,

But I don't care, since I'm about to goto bed:

Why are you all placing massive amounts of faith in foolish men who are now nothing but wormfood and dust? Neitchze and Hitchens are dead, rotting in the grave, flesh decomposing, and souls snuffed out in Sheol.

I'd rather spend eternity with Him, alive in Paradise,

than dead in the ground, rotting with Hitchens and the rest of the wicked.....

(dont give me crap about Hitchens being a good man either, his soul purpose in life was to destroy other peoples faith, reak havoc in peoples lives, and profit off of mysery)

I think you underestimate our intelligence and the people who have written against Christianity, none of that stuff about Jesus is true, your beliefs are a product of your environment. If you were raised in Iraq you'd be as fanatical as you are now but instead of Jesus you'd be preaching Mohammad, if you were raised on one of the moons of Saturn all on your own, you wouldn't have any concept of religion at all let alone Jesus. Thanks for your opinion though.
edit on 14-4-2012 by RadioactiveRob because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by RadioactiveRob

I think you underestimate our intelligence and the people who have written against Christianity,

What's goin' on Pot? Mr. Kettle here, nice to meet you,.

I'd match my I.Q. with yours or theirs any day of the week.

Remember before you respond, education isn't intelligence.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Feel free to introduce the world to Jesus on live TV, in the flesh. Until then the world has a term for this called delusional. Science doesn't know faith, only con artists have to have that from their marks. imho

Besides, you two are off topic. The topic is Who Wrote the Best Arguments Against Christianty. So, you two are doing you typical derail the topic game, Moderators, please toss these types out.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

He was probably tormented by demons, and under the heavy influence of the Shaytan when he wrote his maniacal fantasy based books,

Maybe the LORD has mercy on him? It is pretty sad,

I take back what I said about him being dead in the grave and in Sheol.....God may have granted him mercy....

Hitchens i'm a little less sure about, but God's mercy is infinite, so who knows....

I have a song to share - related to this topic,

edit on 4/14/2012 by Iason321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MagnumOpus

Show me Nietzsche and Hitchens live on TV, in the flesh,
then I'll believe in them.

Till then, I'll remain delusional
edit on 4/14/2012 by Iason321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Till then, I'll remain delusional

Ah yes----he now admits delusion.

No contest on that one.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Here is another good site with tons of information:

freethought.mbdojo.com...

And even help for those taken into cult like beliefs:

freethought.mbdojo.com...

This one usually has the typical suspects launch into all kinds of personal attacks against those that view their volcano god and sacrafice theme as pagan heretical nonsense.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
You might try Robert Ingersoll – the bits of his work I have read are very humorous and thoughtful

Try this to get an idea of what his material is like (fast forward about 1 min)

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 14-4-2012 by racasan because: (no reason given)

top topics

join