It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The tomb of Djehutyhotep, Great Chief of the Hare Nome

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
....is the most important and the best preserved of the tombs of the site of el-Bersheh (also spelled Deir el-Bersheh, Dayr al-Barsha or Deir al-Barsha), located in middle Egypt

The necropolis, chosen by the princes of the Middle Kingdom of the region, is about ten kilometres to the South of the former capital of the nome, Khemenu ("the city of the eight"), the present Ashmunein, in a craggy valley, on the east side of the Nile.

This tomb is most famous for its representation, unique in all Egyptian art, of a statue being pulled on a sledge.

The first modern rediscovery of the tomb dates back to 1817, by two naval officers, Captain Mangles and Lieutenant Irby

Who was Djehutyhotep?

As always in ancient Egypt, the inscriptions are not very verbose on the life and career of the deceased and we don't know much about the end of Djehutyhotep.

Djehutyhotep was a "child of the king" under Amenemhat II, which is to say that he had been educated at the royal palace with the royal children. Then he held the position of "confidential friend" during the reign of Sesostris II, occupying an unknown function also under his successor Sesostris III, under the reign of whom he probably died.

The civil titles of Djehutyhotep: Hereditary prince, Treasurer of the King of Lower Egypt, Confidential friend, Royal acquaintance of the king, Great Chief of the Hare Nome, Door to all foreign countries (probably meaning that he allowed entry and exit to foreign countries), Chief of high offices, Prince of Nekheb, the one who belongs to the City of Nekhen, Controller of what is in the palace.

The religious titles: Superintendent of the priests, Great of the Five in the Temple of Thoth, Regulator of the two thrones, Uppermost of the Mysteries of the temples, Uppermost of the God's Mysteries in his sacred places, Uppermost of the divine secret Mysteries, Director of divine offerings, Master Sem-priest of the tunics, He who influences the gods, Uppermost of the temples of Net, Priest of Ma'at.

What do the inscriptions say about the statue being moved?

Following a statue of 13 cubits of stone of Hatnub. Behold, the way upon which it came, was very difficult, beyond anything. Behold, the dragging of the great things upon it was difficult for the heart of the people, because of the difficult stone of the ground, being hard stone.

I caused the youth, the young men of the recruits to come, in order to make for it (the statue) a road, together with shifts of necropolis-miners and of quarrymen, the foremen and the wise. The people of strength said: "We come to bring it;" while my heart was glad; the city was gathered together rejoicing; very good it was to see beyond everything. The old man among them, he leaned upon the child; the strong-armed together with the tremblers, their courage rose. Their arms grew strong; one of them put forth the strength of 1000 men.

Behold, this statue, being a squared block on coming forth from the great mountain, was more valuable than anything. Vessels were equipped, filled with supplies, [in advance (?)] of my army of recruits, the youth bore [... in advance of (?)] it. Their words were laudation, and my praises from the king. My children ... adorned were behind me. My nome shouted praise. I arrived in the district of this city, the people were gathered together, praising; very good it was to see, beyond everything. The counts who were of old; the judge and local governor who were appointed for ... in this city, and established for the [...] upon the river, their hearts had not thought of this which I had done, [in that I made (?)] for myself ... established for eternity, after this my tomb was complete in its everlasting work.

To tomb of Djehutihote

Detailed description of the inscription

Wiki summary of the tomb (translated from Spanish)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Interesting, indeed. What is your interpretation of this, OP? I think we'd all like to hear your thoughts about it.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

This tomb is important because of it descriptions and inscriptions showing day to day life during the Middle Kingdoms of AE

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

I got that, I understand why it's important. What I'm saying is the OP makes a big deal out of saying how the statue was moved but never expresses thoughts about how the statue is moved. There's no "See, people did this under their own power, no aliens, no mystical sonic whistles, no crystals from the 15th dimension; pure human ingenuity." Something like that would greatly help your OP. Most people don't want to read the article, they'll skim and look at what the OP says.

Just a tip, nothing more nothing less. Take it or leave it.

FYI, I found it to be interesting and informative though, thanks for posting.
edit on 12-4-2012 by Mr Headshot because: imnotadickhead

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
[more/]
Wait a minute, that painting of them moving the statue must be fake, placed there by the evil hawaas, to throw us off of the real truths. My goodness it shows large numbers of actual people of Egypt, with great difficulty, moving a huge stone.
Where are the atlantean aliens with their antigravity machines and rock melting deathrays.
And they actually claim the stone was carved from the great mountain and was harder than anything to move, not cast from melted rock or cast from concrete, that happens to look just like natural stone.
It must be a lie concocted by TPTB to keep us in the dark about the impending alignment of nibiru with the galactic center and planet x. After all how can we possibly believe the ancients did such things, even when they show and tell us how they did it.

Oh my sorry bout that I was keeping an open mind and my brain fell out momentarily.

Pretty darn fascinating Hans,
Why does sesostris II ring my memory bell? Did he do anything notable?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks10
[more/]
Wait a minute, that painting of them moving the statue must be fake, placed there by the evil hawaas, to throw us off of the real truths. My goodness it shows large numbers of actual people of Egypt, with great difficulty, moving a huge stone.
Where are the atlantean aliens with their antigravity machines and rock melting deathrays.
And they actually claim the stone was carved from the great mountain and was harder than anything to move, not cast from melted rock or cast from concrete, that happens to look just like natural stone.
It must be a lie concocted by TPTB to keep us in the dark about the impending alignment of nibiru with the galactic center and planet x. After all how can we possibly believe the ancients did such things, even when they show and tell us how they did it.

Oh my sorry bout that I was keeping an open mind and my brain fell out momentarily.

Pretty darn fascinating Hans,
Why does sesostris II ring my memory bell? Did he do anything notable?

Them thar aliens B particularly sneaky types....

Sesostris II? Not particularly notable other than some think he may have been the unmentioned Pharoah in one of the Bible stories. His Pyramid at Lahun was also rather cunningly robbed
edit on 12/4/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
that is really interesting. it occurs to me that the Egyptians employed the wheel (for warfare) and had draft animals

could the dragging of this ginormous statue by brute human strength be some sort of ceremonial display of reverence??

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
S+F Hans, love the illustrations.

reply to post by MrsBlonde

For a large weight moved across soft earth or sand, dragging on a sledge would be easier than on a wheels or rollers which can become mired.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I'm curious as to how much this statue weighed. 13 cubits, by my figures, is equal to roughly 19.5 feet (or 5.9 meters). Whereas a 2012 Ford F-150 is 243.9 inches, approximately 20.3 feet. Granted, that's big, and a statue carved from stone weighs much more than a pickup truck, but from the image of the statue, relative to the men involved with moving it, looks much larger and monumental than something the size of a truck.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Resonant

Well,
If we assume 13 cubits refers to its overall size, then the statue would be 5.85 meters on a side.
It's volume would be roughly 200 cubic meters. Now the statue wouldn't occupy all that volume, so well use 70%, that means we now have a volume of 140 cu m. They day it was q very hard stone so lets assume its granite. With a density of roughly 2700kg/m^3 that would put the weight of the statue at 378,000 kg, or 833347.2450514633 lbs or 417 tons. That's a little mire than the weight of q truck, which is mostly air actually.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrsBlonde
that is really interesting. it occurs to me that the Egyptians employed the wheel (for warfare) and had draft animals

could the dragging of this ginormous statue by brute human strength be some sort of ceremonial display of reverence??

Yes by that time they had wheels but they didn't have roads. As the darkmarketeer noted a sledge would work better as wheels require an axle and the AE wouldn't have had anything that could be made into an axle that could support that type of weight. A wooden sledge however can take immense weight due to woods wonderful property of compressibility.

Reverence? Not in the sense I think you mean.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks10

Well,
If we assume 13 cubits refers to its overall size, then the statue would be 5.85 meters on a side.
It's volume would be roughly 200 cubic meters. Now the statue wouldn't occupy all that volume, so well use 70%, that means we now have a volume of 140 cu m. They day it was q very hard stone so lets assume its granite. With a density of roughly 2700kg/m^3 that would put the weight of the statue at 378,000 kg, or 833347.2450514633 lbs or 417 tons. That's a little mire than the weight of q truck, which is mostly air actually.

I didn't do any weight calculations initially, but was just looking for how big this object would have been. Your calculations roughly match what I got after doing the math and working out massive this statue would have been (849,780.4 lbs). I suppose I didn't realize how heavy and dense granite was, it's sort of amazing really. This statue weighed as much as a Boeing 747-400, except that it is 10x times smaller in size.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

That weight seems a bit high

This statue which was moved recently was estimated at 250 tons. What do you guys think about comparison in size?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

That weight seems a bit high

This statue which was moved recently was estimated at 250 tons. What do you guys think about comparison in size?

Hi Han
I made a pretty rough estimate, based on the stated size of "so many qubits" in the form of a cube of given side length and a very rough volumetric approximation from the original AE art. Given the proportionality of the original art work , I could see the mass of the statue being quite a bit less than my original calcs. And if the original statue wasn't granite I could reasonably see a significant decrease in mass.
But if I am correct, by the time tomb art was done the AE artists had a pretty good handle on 2d spatial relationships. So one can assume that there is at least one reality based dimensional relationship in the original art work. Given that assumption you have to pick a side, Right or left side of the drawing,one the right you have the multitude of people on the ropes pulling the statue. If you take that as the true spatial relationship then the mass would ne closer to my original estimate.
But , if you look at the left side the approximate size would be closer to that in Han's photo, but likely more since a good deal of volume is missing from the ancient statue in the modern day.
Either way it was extra ordinarily hard, because they took the time to mention how difficult it was,
saying " Behold, the way upon which it came, was very difficult, beyond anything. Behold, the dragging of the great things upon it was difficult for the heart of the people, because of the difficult stone of the ground, being hard stone."
Hans?, I take it said statue does not exist anymore?
At any rate that painting is most profound in the information that can be gleaned from it. thank you for that.

edit on 17-4-2012 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10

No its location is not known. Some speculated - it was made of alabaster and might have been broken up for re-use by the Romans - who kinda liked alabaster for some reason

new topics

top topics

join