It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspicious package prompts evacuation of New York financial building

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

A suspicious package that appeared to contain a grenade was found at 2 World Financial Center on Thursday morning, prompting an evacuation of the building, police said.

Reuters

Just received a text from my fiance that said that WTC 2 has been evacuated. I immediately turned on the local news sources but have yet to even hear a mention of this.

Lets see if there is more to come. Hopefully not.

Stay tuned.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Similiar incident this morning in Atlanta, GA

According to Atlanta police dispatchers, the suspicious package is a duffel bag in the parking lot of the Atlanta Gas Light building.

Just before 7:30 a.m., a bomb-sniffing dog checked out the bag, then a Homeland Security official removed the bag, looked inside and returned the bag to its original location.

Atlanta police said the package had been cleared and West Peachtree reopened by 8 a.m.

Source

Could this be a dry run anybody???

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

The FedEx package was being scanned by workers from Brookfield Properties when they spotted the object, which looks like a grenade, through an X-ray image about 11 a.m., the sources said.

Officers from the NYPD’s emergency service unit and bomb squad immediately responded to the Liberty St. skyscraper and are evaluating the package to determine its contents.

People who were inside said they were alerted by an intercom announcement, which asked everyone to leave the building because of a police investigation downstairs.

Officials also evacuated part of a neighboring building

Source

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
MSNBC just reported the police have determined it was a 'novelty grenade' and they are allowing people to return to the building.

Here's a link to the NBC update.
Toy Grenade Forces Evacuation
edit on 4/12/2012 by SSPI07 because: Added link.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Interesting, but with the hyper vigilance that is the norm in the US, some poor guy may lose his lunch bag out of this.

This reminds me of an incident where a pinhole camera was mistaken for a bomb at a university.

University Mistakes Pinhole Camera for a Bomb, Ruins Photo Project

I wonder if they graded the student on the bell curve after this incident.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

The World Financial Center is home to major financial institutions including Merrill Lynch, Deloitte and OppenheimerFunds Inc.

I wonder if this was a ploy to get employees out so a team can go in and remove documents deemed dangerous in the eyes of TPTB.

Or some moron just mailed a toy grenade to see the reaction.

edit on 12-4-2012 by olliemc84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by relocator
Similiar incident this morning in Atlanta, GA

According to Atlanta police dispatchers, the suspicious package is a duffel bag in the parking lot of the Atlanta Gas Light building.

Just before 7:30 a.m., a bomb-sniffing dog checked out the bag, then a Homeland Security official removed the bag, looked inside and returned the bag to its original location.

Atlanta police said the package had been cleared and West Peachtree reopened by 8 a.m.

Source

Could this be a dry run anybody???

That's exactly where my mind went. Chills followed.

I'm compelled to see if this same thing occurred anywhere else today, or if it will in the coming days.
edit on 4/12/2012 by chasingbrahman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join