It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is purposeless torture moral?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iason321
Everything and everyone IS God, yet none are Him, except the Being Itself....
At first I was like "what?" Then I was like, "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?"

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

LOL.

Mind = blown.

The driving Force of the universe is inside every molecule of the universe and every molecule of the universe is inside the Being, yet the Being transcends all human conception of reality.

Understand?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
It's amazing how people assume God's characteristics.
For God to be truly God he must be just. He can't allow sin to go unpunished. Sure that sounds harsh, but my God is a jealous God and his anger burns against evil and wickedness. Thankfully he is sparing us his wrath for a short time or we wouldn't be here.

Despite the the truth that I deserve his wrath, I rejoice because my price has been paid. I am counted with the righteousness of the Jesus despite my sin, and for that I am forever thankful. You can have that too. You don't have to wonder on the nature of God when we have been given his word.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but it's all good.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

LOL.

Mind = blown.

The driving Force of the universe is inside every molecule of the universe and every molecule of the universe is inside the Being, yet the Being transcends all human conception of reality.

Understand?
More like, mind = confused. Sounds like you're saying we're all a part of god, the driving force. And if that is the case, he makes parts of himself cease to exist?
edit on 12-4-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

We are imagined beings in the mind of God.

Are you familiar with the Simulation hypothesis?

God is the divine conductor,

of course he can stop imagining his creations

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB
It's amazing how people assume God's characteristics.
For God to be truly God he must be just. He can't allow sin to go unpunished. Sure that sounds harsh, but my God is a jealous God and his anger burns against evil and wickedness. Thankfully he is sparing us his wrath for a short time or we wouldn't be here.

Despite the the truth that I deserve his wrath, I rejoice because my price has been paid. I am counted with the righteousness of the Jesus despite my sin, and for that I am forever thankful. You can have that too. You don't have to wonder on the nature of God when we have been given his word.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but it's all good.
If we deserve to be tortured for all eternity, then that's what we deserve. Why do you allow some innocent person take your punishment? That is immoral. If you did the crime, you should do the time. Plus, you deserve it. It is a fitting punishment, you know, to be burned forever.

There is punishment, and then there is insanity. Burning someone for all eternity is insanity, no matter what we did.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

We are imagined beings in the mind of God.

Are you familiar with the Simulation hypothesis?

God is the divine conductor,

of course he can stop imagining his creations
Vaguely familiar with the simulation hypothesis. And if this is a simulation, who cares? It's just a game.
edit on 12-4-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

It's a very real simulation.

Does it not feel real to you?

The next reality is just.....more vivid.

For those who make it there, and do not perish....

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I am not the one saying it. I don't follow your religion or the religion of anyone else. I am simply responding to the OP though I have heard on multiple occasions preachers preaching that the souls of the sinners will burn in eternal hellfire, sure sounds like torture to me.

I don't assume to know what you individually believe in or what your church believes in but for you to say that nobody who is christian believes that the souls of the sinners will burn in hell for eternity... well you are obviously being dishonest. If that is what you are saying and it appears that you are.

Whether you follow that particular is irrelevant to the discussion, we are talking about the people that do believe it... do you understand that or are you really trying to convince me that nobody believes that souls get tortured in hell?
edit on 12-4-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Iason321

I am so glad you decided to come here with all the answers despite the fact that your religion is no more provable than the religion of anyone else. Believe whatever you want but I find it humorous and egotistical that you pretend to know the thoughts, feelings and words of God.

You and God hang out often?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by sageofmonticello
I am not the one saying it. I don't follow your religion or the religion of anyone else. I am simply responding to the OP though I have heard on multiple occasions preachers preaching that the souls of the sinners will burn in eternal hellfire, sure sounds like torture to me.

I don't assume to know what you individually believe in or what your church believes in but for you to say that nobody who is christian believes that the souls of the sinners will burn in hell... well you are obviously being dishonest.

Whether you follow that particular is irrelevant to the discussion, we are talking about the people that do believe it... do you understand that or are you really trying to convince me that nobody believes that souls get tortured in hell?
First, I'm an atheist. Next, you said that the devil tortures people in hell. What I said is that's not what the bible teaches. It says that the devil will also be punished in hell, right alongside humans. That's what I was getting at.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

It's a very real simulation.

Does it not feel real to you?

The next reality is just.....more vivid.

For those who make it there, and do not perish....
Using the senses I have, and the knowledge I have about how they work, yes this world seems real to me. How do you know about the next reality? And, who cares if we perish? Like I said, I don't remember anything before I was born....

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Good for you... Like I said, I don't assume to know what your religion is. Yet there you go thinking I was. It was clear that I was only reiterating what the OP had stated as I was replying to the OP and his/her thoughts. I was simply correcting you as to the fact that they are not my thoughts. I don't pretend to know what the bible says (any of the versions) as I have never cared to read such mythology.

So first you say

No where does the bible say that the devil will be torturing humans in hell

Then you say

It says that the devil will also be punished in hell, right alongside humans.

So which one is it? Can punishment not be torture and torture not be the punishment?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Wouldn't you rather live forever than perish and go back to a state of non existence?

All you have to do is confess faith to Him and take heed to His word, it's not hard or a whole lot of work

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by sageofmonticello

The pinnacle of ignorance - calling the Bible mythology without ever having read it.

Good for you "sage of monticello"! Way to deny ignorance!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Wouldn't you rather live forever than perish and go back to a state of non existence?

All you have to do is confess faith to Him and take heed to His word, it's not hard or a whole lot of work
Why would someone want to live forever? What are you going to do all that time? It's got to end sometime, jeeez. If I go back to a state of non-existence, who cares? I was there before and I was just fine with it, apparently, lmao.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by sageofmonticello
Good for you... Like I said, I don't assume to know what your religion is. Yet there you go thinking I was. It was clear that I was only reiterating what the OP had stated as I was replying to the OP and his/her thoughts. I was simply correcting you as to the fact that they are not my thoughts. I don't pretend to know what the bible says (any of the versions) as I have never cared to read such mythology.
I feel like what we have here is a failure to communicate. Anyway, no big deal.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

The pinnacle of ignorance - calling the Bible mythology without ever having read it.

Good for you "sage of monticello"! Way to deny ignorance!
I have read it and I would call it mythology/embellishments mixed with truth.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Iason321

as if reading it proves it to not be mythology? Do you know what the definition of mythology is?

Mythology-
1.A collection of myths, esp. one belonging to a particular religious or cultural tradition.
2.A set of stories or beliefs about a particular person, institution, or situation, esp. when exaggerated or fictitious.

So yes, calling it a myth is quite fitting. I don't have to read it to know that.

The pinnacle of ignorance - not understanding the definition of a word when saying it doesn't apply to something.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I feel like what we have here is a failure to communicate. Anyway, no big deal.

I agree 100% that is why I originally responded to your response to my post. To fix the communication problem. That was the only reason. Like you said though, no big deal.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join