It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Judges Admit to Jailing Children for Money

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Who said prison wasn't bussines?

Absolutely appaling stuff.

Philadelphia, Pa. – Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan of the Court of Common Pleas in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, plead guilty in open court that they sentenced children to juvenile detention because they were paid off to do it by the PA Childcare and a sister company, Western PA Childcare corporation that ran the private facilities.

Ciavarella wrote in a letter to the court,

“Your statement that I have disgraced my judgeship is true. My actions have destroyed everything I worked to accomplish and I have only myself to blame.”

The two judges face up to seven years in prison under a plea agreement made with the state.

7 years for destroying thousand of lives and potential carreers?

imho they got off easy.

The Constitution guarantees the right to legal representation in U.S. courts. But many of the juveniles appeared before Ciavarella without an attorney because they were told by the probation service that their minor offenses didn’t require one.

Marsha Levick, chief counsel for the Juvenile Law Center, estimated that of approximately 5,000 juveniles who came before Ciavarella from 2003 and 2006, between 1,000 and 2,000 received sentences that far outweighed their crimes. She said the center will be suing the judges and the companies to compensate the victims.

Absolutely sickening.

rest of the story here

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

In August 2011, Ciavarella was sentenced to 28 years in federal prison for his involvement in the Kids for Cash scandal.[5]

Old story, getting rehashed on blogs.*

Original ATS Thread Here, for more search "kids for cash" or the names of involved parties.

edit on 12-4-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I believe it's big business just like Prisons and the public school system.... Not a fan at all how these facilities as well as Juvenile homes are run.

How many more Judges like this are out there?

Corruption at this level deserves more consequences...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Suing the judges and the companies to compensate the victims huh, sounds like redistribution of wealth to me.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by relocator
I believe it's big business just like Prisons and the public school system.... Not a fan at all how these facilities as well as Juvenile homes are run.

How many more Judges like this are out there?

Corruption at this level deserves more consequences...

Well stated! And I would add that these two are just tokens to make the public think something is being done about it.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I was thinking about this before when I saw the other thread about detention centers for minors. Glad you brought it up again. I forgot what state it was in. Yeah kids for cash.....

any hoot. You are da bomb as usual OP. nice

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
you know it used to be that a servants oath if broken to this degree levied one charge.

Treason.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

In August 2011, Ciavarella was sentenced to 28 years in federal prison for his involvement in the Kids for Cash scandal.[5]

Original ATS Thread Here, for more search "kids for cash" or the names of involved parties.

Given that this problem still exists, it is hardly a "rehash" of old news. Should we all just yawn and roll our eyes because someone has endeavored to keep awareness of shameful policies still exist? Imagine if when the abolitionists kept fighting for the end of slavery, President Lincoln just yawned and exclaimed: "Old story, getting rehashed by pamphleteers."

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Originally posted by boncho

Given that this problem still exists, it is hardly a "rehash" of old news. Should we all just yawn and roll our eyes because someone has endeavored to keep awareness of shameful policies still exist? Imagine if when the abolitionists kept fighting for the end of slavery, President Lincoln just yawned and exclaimed: "Old story, getting rehashed by pamphleteers."

Maybe you should start a riot for the war in Vietnam I don't know.

Should we all just yawn and roll our eyes because someone has endeavored to keep awareness of shameful policies still exist?

So why are not focusing on these current injustices instead of one that handed down a corrupt judge a 28 year jail sentence. At least that case had some resolution? But what about these other ones you're talking about, why aren't we hearing about them?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Maybe you should start a riot for the war in Vietnam I don't know.

If you actually need it explained to you that the U.S. no longer has troops in Vietnam then a reasonable discussion cannot be had with you.

top topics

join