It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lesser Known BOB inclusion items...What are yours?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Good call on dryer sheets. I actually put these in my pockets when I'm out doing Paintball, to keep the bugs away. Forgot all about mentioning those.

Lots of interesting ideas here, especially for games and diversions, as boredom could become quite the foe.

I know a lot want to mention more basic BOB items, but I know there are a bazillion threads here on those. I'm more interested in some of the ones you don't think of immediately (like condoms for waterproofing, water carrying), etc. for this thread...but welcoming any contributions. Thanks!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Seems like it would be fairly obvious but I never see it mentioned, fire steel. Its small, lightweight, reliable, and will last a while, better then matches or lighters although a few bic's wouldnt be a bad idea. These could at least hold you over with fire while you learn how to make one by hand if you dont already know how.

or a wrist rocket slingshot, cheap, lightweight and compact, also deadly accurate with ammo to be found everywhere, maybe a few extra rubber bands just incase you break it, but they could come in handy for other uses as well.
edit on 12-4-2012 by A-Dub because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Petroleum jelly. If you put a dab of it on the lint you can get a fire going even if the stuff is damp. It's also good for other things.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
- sun glasses
- deer scent
- a duck call
- a dog whistle (to scare off dogs & wolves)

oh, and can't forget my lucky rabbits foot!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Mary J seeds
stone striking fire starter (or two large peices of flint)
Bait Jig + fishing line/hand reel + small tackle set.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by dniMnepO

Reminds me of another one... I have a Pocket Fisherman (yes, from the infomercials) in mine. Seems cheesy, but I've actually used it before and it's pretty functional.

Another one, I've got a military style can opener (chances are, if you have to scrounge, you'll find canned foods).

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I think people need to rethink the purpose of a BOB to begin with. At best it is a 72 hour survival tool. That's it.
Think evac. vs. long term survival.

Tailor your bag to your location and the types of disasters that you may encounter. Think practical, a bug-out bag is also useful when you need to shelter down as a response to emergencies such as house fires, blackouts, tornadoes, snow storms and other severe natural disasters.

I don't think I've seen anyone mention a disaster plan including locations of emergency centers, rallying points, possible evacuation routes, etc. etc

Detailed local maps like a Gazetteer that illustrate lesser known trails, routes and fire roads.

Back up copies of important documents should your house lie in the path of a direct disaster.

Don't forget the special needs of Children and women.

Remember climate appropriate clothing and footwear.

I.D. and about $300-$400 in cash (small bills)

Not every event warranting the use of a BOB is going to be TEOWAWKI. Think outside the craze and the Apocalypse madness.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I would skip all the mini fishing poles and save yourself a few grams of weight, as long as you got the line, hooks, etc you can use your metal cup (you better have one lol), soda can, rocks, sticks, etc as the reel if you wrap the string around it. odds are you wont be catching anything real big anyway.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by A-Dub

I've actually been considering removing it (pocket fisherman)...just as a) my goal is to get home, not stop and fish, and b) I'd probably scrounge food before actually sitting down to fish.

I could just keep it in the truck for the heck of it, versus the BOB.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
The one thing that I dont see (or its berried on a thread some where) is JB weld. IMOH that stuff is worth its weight in gold to fix, mend or fab. a part. You never know when something will break, the only con is it takes 24hrs to set.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I know I am a male but I always bring tampons. They are small, waterproof containers filled with cotton for first-aid or fire-starting. I also am married with 2 daughters so Im sure if their "needs" arise they would be forever grateful for some kind of "protection". I also use the containers for little kits like first-aid kits, fishing kits, cooking etcetera. You would be surprised what you can pack in those little things!

Also a note... i go out with my pack and stuff hiking for over a week and i know my stuff works. If you really want a good BOB, put one together and put it to the test. Dont let your life depend on untested gear and someone's "web-recommendations". Go for 72 hours or so and it will probably save your life.
edit on 12-4-2012 by eazyriderl_l because: wisdom

edit on 12-4-2012 by eazyriderl_l because: grammer police

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ga-`tv-gi
The one thing that I dont see (or its berried on a thread some where) is JB weld. IMOH that stuff is worth its weight in gold to fix, mend or fab. a part. You never know when something will break, the only con is it takes 24hrs to set.

What would JB weld be worth if it started to set in just 4 minutes?
JB KWIK

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by eazyriderl_l

I've actually heard of bringing tampons before, but for a different reason...in a first aid kit, as they can absorb a lot of blood and designed not to leak, so can make a good bandage pad.

Of course, goes without saying that my wife's BOB and mine are slightly different in contents. She even has basic makeup in hers.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
epoxy glue to fix your shoes or boots and other items. of course peeps are mandatory as well.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen
reply to post by Gazrok

Handcuffs - to deal with unexpected visitors whose intentions are unclear.

Thats a good one, however, I prefer to stick with a pack of 500 zip-ties. More universal.

ETA: Ive remembered a couple more
-Bagbalm-good for everything from chapped skin to cuts and burns, also great for protection against wind burn (an issue in my locale)
-Local vegetation guide. Lots of things in my area are edible. Lots are poisonous.
-Somebody already mentioned it, but it needs repeating: Terrain map-you need to know where you are going, and you need to know what to expect on the way there
-m80s-i carry a couple in a waterproof container. Got the idea from a local farming friend of mine. he uses them to scare off deer when they are eating his crop. I think theyd be more effective than a gun against some animals.
edit on 12-4-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

You already love her and know she is beautiful.
No sense her bringing make up....its redundant and a moot point in those circumstances.

Its a comfort thing....make her feel beautiful no matter what the circumstances are and keep a lighter pack....get her to drop the make up....its dead weight.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Toilet paper...A real life saver and it makes it that little bit easier to bug out, also the plants in Australia in my region are very prickly or have leaves like sandpaper.

Can of Kiwi shoe polish, burns very well and good to keep your boots from leaking.
Notebook and pen, good to take notes and keep track of things.
Watch, finding north and to keep an eye on the time.
Big wooly socks: Prevents insect bites and blistering.

Just a few of mine

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It might sound a little crazy, but a USB stick with hundreds of how-to, military and other random guides/texts. Also some random "comfort" items, as well as some things i think are of cultural importance, all on a thing that weights a few ounces maybe.
Might be totally worthless, but then again, it is so tiny and weightless you arent suffering from carrying it around on an "if". And imagine you either set yourself up with some source of power/computer or happen to find one and then you have all your files on a usb; some favorite music, all the documents, etc. Could make living in the apocalyptic wastelands a bit less dreadful.
I think everything else I have is pretty standard and/or taken from someones list, this is the only thing that I would say is unique to my BOB.
I think it is funny when people say extremely common items in this thread. I think most people have wool socks covered, I dont know though, so thanks I guess.
edit on 14-4-2012 by smashdem because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
One thing I have is Manuka honey. For strep throat. Its a very common ailment and without anti-biotics its often fatal. Manuka honey will cure it. Almost nothing else does. Scarlet Fever was one of the leading causes of death prior to anti-biotics.
Its expensive weighs a half pound too but its very effective and lasts forever. One jar could cure a thousand cases.
Thats a lot of lives that you could save in an outbreak in any situation where there are other people.

I have a telescopic baton that is not lightweight, but in case of dog attack or even people to discourage them without bringing out the guns, a 28 inch baton is pretty good protection.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
A couple of 5-Hour Energy shots

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join