It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could really use some help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Since this is the only forum or community I belong to I was hoping that I could get some help from the many intelligent men and women here.

I am about to take an apptitude test to get myself into the iron workers union. I have been out of school for about 14 years and really need to brush up on my math. Even in school it was not one of my better subjects.

So my question is what math formulas do you think would be important for me to memorize ?

Does anyone on here have an idea of what type of math questions I should expect or prepare for?

I have construction experience but I have been a laborer with my current union and prior to that I owned a bar.
So I am good when it comes to money but as a laborer there was no math involved in shoveling ,jack hammering or milling and paving the street. I really want to ace this test out of 2000 applicants only 50 are admitted to the apprenticeship program. From what I was told the selection process uses this test for selection process more then prior experience or any other criteria .

Thank you every one in advance for any advice or help or anything you add to this thread.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
You might see things like this

en.allexperts.com...

Do you know how to read blueprints?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Usually there are sample tests online you can take for practice. These should give you a good idea of what to expect.

Good luck!!!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I found this site via a friend and it is amazing. There are courses for everything. I found some of the math and science ones beneficial to me for my courses. There are maths i haven't done in years and I also need a refresher course and this site was perfect!

The Great Courses...

As for formulas and memorization I always loved flash cards or note cards. I would look over them throughout my day til I had them memorized. I always took math and related it to things in my life to understand it, esp with word problems. I dont really care for those
but it helped.

Best of luck to you!!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Thank you very much everybody... After owning my own business and now a no brainer job as a laborer . I am actually a little nervous but again thanks everyone. I will check the sites that were posted.

As for reading blue prints I had some experience reading aircraft blueprints because I went to a vocational high school for airplane mechanics but that was 20 years ago. It's part of the apprentiship program so I doubt I will need to read them as part of the apptitude test.

Do you think it might be on the test?

I searched online but could not find a sample test that was related to iron workers or any other occupation in the general field .. I found some for agriculture.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Anyone else care to lend a hand

new topics

top topics

join