It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stars Aren't Worth This

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
This is not a rant. I usually don't rant unless someone pushes a hard-to-get-to button hidden deep within me...and this forum is good at keeping those guys under a steel-toe boot. No, this is an observation, a bit of advice, if you will...

Stars. We all like getting them. It means we aren't alone in our thoughts, that someone agrees with us. However, I would like to point out that stars DO NOT mean you are right. Stars are to let you know that someone either is willing to follow you, or that your opinion is already thought of.

By following, I mean that they agree with what you say, and are more likely to lean your way. This, to me, is unproductive...to a certain extent. The goal here is not to agree with everyone, but to argue cases so as to illuminate both sides of the fence. When we see every perspective available...that's when we know what we're dealing with. That's when the answer is ready to be plucked and refined. Arguing can be unstable, unbalanced, and flat-out maniacal...but it can also be the most productive thing you have ever done. Anger and distress (under control) is often the best way to clear the air. No one holds back.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like arguing in anger. I like arguing in curiosity and justification. However, when you get a star, you've gone down a road people are willing to take. If people are willing to take that road, it isn't hard enough. The most valuable lessons are the ones learned the hard way. Military employees will tell you that. Missionaries will tell you that. Presidents and nurses, people that have had to make very difficult choices, can tell you that.

And when I say "already thought of", I say we need to think outside the box. If no one agrees with you, you might be on the right track. After all, if no one likes what you're saying, it's against societal programming, right? Great. That's the right road. AWAY from the programming.

Again, I don't want to be misunderstood here. Stars are wonderful to get, because it creates a sense of "Oh look, I did something right" or "Hey, cool, someone knows what I'm talking about."

But look deeper. Stars can be a sign that you haven't pursued the matter far enough, or maybe that you need to take a harder road. Stars are a sign of conformity. Maybe that's good, maybe that's bad. Humankind tends to like things that are bad for it, so who knows?

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right. That's for you to decide. After all, you're the ones giving out the stars. I'll just be sure to think twice for saying, "Cool!"

Stars are not important. Denying ignorance is. Love your stars, but love the truth more. Just thought I'd get that out there.

Peace.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
Stars. We all like getting them.

Not me.
In the time I've been here I've not starred or flagged once, and dont care a fig newton if anyone stars, flags or applauds me.
As far as I'm concerned we're here to "deny ignorance" and not to have a popularity contest. Its clear to me that some people create threads simply for the sole purpose of getting such rewards and frankly I think ATS would be better off without them, completely.
God help us if they ever introduce any real actual rewards for stars or flags. This place is tabloid enough already.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Don't you talk about Stars that way!! They are all i live for.... *Bursts into tears*

On a different note Your bloody correct, Some People need to really re-assess why they joined ATS in the first place

edit on 11/4/12 by TedHodgson because: I wuv stars

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Seems the most obvious tired and uninspired posts get the most love alot of the time.

It takes courage to express an unpopular opinion sometimes. Whether I agree or not I like to see the less obvious unpopular responses the most.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Starred and Flagged bwahaha

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by Starchild23
Stars. We all like getting them.

Not me.
In the time I've been here I've not starred or flagged once, and dont care a fig newton if anyone stars, flags or applauds me.
As far as I'm concerned we're here to "deny ignorance" and not to have a popularity contest. Its clear to me that some people create threads simply for the sole purpose of getting such rewards and frankly I think ATS would be better off without them, completely.
God help us if they ever introduce any real actual rewards for stars or flags. This place is tabloid enough already.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

And for that, you get a star. Why? Because that is nothing but the truth.

And just to keep an even balance, yes I will star posts that I don't like, but make good points.
edit on CWednesdaypm161651f51America/Chicago11 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Apparently, I just changed that for you.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Starring your thread for giggles.

But look deeper. Stars can be a sign that you haven't pursued the matter far enough, or maybe that you need to take a harder road. Stars are a sign of conformity. Maybe that's good, maybe that's bad. Humankind tends to like things that are bad for it, so who knows?

Every opinion is to some degree conforming. I can say that the sun is a hologram and someone is bound to agree with me somewhere along the way.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I suppose in some way's stars are like an "I agree" feature, Rather than a reward system (like them little golden stars you get in school for been a good child) I use it as an "I agree" button when a share a similar opinion to someone, it makes no difference if someone has more stars on a post than someone else, it definitely does not make them right.

If the whole world was dumb and one guy was right the right guy sure as hell wouldn't get stars on ATS.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I always have unpopular opinions EVERYWHERE I go.

I don't believe in following the crowd. I do my best to base all of my conclusions on what the facts say and always do what I can to do real research and not fall for any stupid tricks and traps that many people love to use. And I always think for myself. Sometimes the authority or official word is right, most of the time it's not.

However, I am not perfect. I do make mistakes and I do have my hang ups.

As do we all.

On some boards you can not have unpopular views, they will ban you no matter what. They love to throw out the "you can have unpopular views as long as you express them in a respectful way", but that much is horsecrap, they will ban you no matter how respectfully you craft your words.

As far as stars go, I like getting them. I just wish I knew why I got them and what they were agreeing with me on.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

I have unpopular opinions as well...and unfortunately, I always hang around the same group of bigots. Because I am rather young in comparison to them, I am taken for granted.

I know the value of having unpopular opinions. Hopefully, they don't end up killing me.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

If the whole world was dumb and one guy was right the right guy sure as hell wouldn't get stars on ATS.

Homo Sapiens is the most moronic species on the planet. I'm sorry, but that's where the cards lay right now.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Stars.....never really gave much thought to them, just checked my profile to see if I had any, and found 6,774. As for finding meaning in them, sorry, I do not. Flags either, not why I am here. I am here to spread knowledge of all kinds from all sources. I am both a teacher, and a student.
I know it get's a little disheartening listening to Christians damn you to their version of the Afterlife, and telling you you are with their main enemy, but hey, you know that would happen coming in.
I take it you too have a mission, so buck up, soldier, and do your duty. I, and a few others have your back, never forget that.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I thought flags were a way of pointing out a topic that other people should look at to (possibly) increase knowledge or offer the possibility of a good debate and stars were a way to stay that you agree with a posters thinking. At least that's what I've based my giving of stars and flags on...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Sadly, many great points remain in black-holes without a star to be seen. IMHO, stupidity often gets stars where valid points often get attacked.

Perhaps it's a maturity thing, I can do without the drama. I just state my opinion or contribute a fact... if I get stars, well.. that's nice but I don't post just to get them.

ATS is a popularity contest to some, and some of those people are looked to as the proverbial gods of ATS (if you will) .. people with a mass of these stars seem to be taken at face value, but the fact is they are people... and people are wrong sometimes.

I personally would rather a "like" button rather than stars. Perhaps the deeper issue should be ATSers reevaluating why they';re giving them in the first place...

~Just my two cents~

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I never really liked stars or much of that stuff over there

top topics

join