It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
call me oblivious,or ignorant for not reading the fine print when i signed up to ATS.
but can some one please explain to me exactly what the stars and flags do for you.
what do you gain? if i get a lot do i get a cheque in the mail?!
or do i get more leverage to bi#*ch about something and having the mods take points off me,while having a lot of points saved up as not to worry!
can somebody explain please
thanx!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
If you get stars then YOU ARE A STAR! Yea man!

If you get flags then you get your own cyber country with a flag of your choice.

Seriously it is to let you know if you can rely on the opinion your reading. Does not work but nice try.

Consider it just a fun thing you do.

You do get your own country if you get enough flags. Honest!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Answer:I don't know. Just like those stars we'd get in first grade, on papers or on the wall next to your name. We never outgrow stars and flags. Look at generals, walking around with stars on their shoulders and other human beings look at them and go into a stiff standing posture. That is the power of stars. (and flags).

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

There, I've given you your 100th flag. They wave proudly, and with 100 you get an extra star. There are geese too, something about applause, and other stuff, but you have to look in member profiles for those.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Stars and flags have a few functions.....

They act as a hook to keep you posting

They create an atmosphere of a popularity contest, so a lot of people here post what they think others want to hear and not what they realy believe. Which can sometimes stifle debate.

They are a bit of fun, and enjoyable to tally up...

Take your pick.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

What's the difference between stars and flags? One flag equal 2 stars???

edit on 11-4-2012 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
self edit... sorry
edit on 11-4-2012 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by swan001

I think a flag means that the thread has important info people should check out. A star generally means someone likes the way you say something, or have made a good point ect...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
wow, i feel so special!
(ad sarcasm!)
i dont give a rats ass about stars and flags!
i have an opinion,and i know when i am correct. i know when i dont know so i try to learn. i respect people that know what i dont know,and i respect them more if they're willing to teach me.
i guess i dont need a star for posting useful info.
i enjoy this site and i hate it at the same time.
if my info is flawed,i can rely on a member to point out the mistake. i appreciate this.
but when some dupe jumps all over my post with rhetoric,and nothing useful to contribute drives me nuts!

i enjoy my time on this site for the most part,and i thank you all for clarifying the 'star &flag' system.

just so you know,i dont post to get s&f's. like i said,i didn't even know what they were for!

i guess its like the "like" option on facebook!
if ya dont want to star me,thats ok. but if you do,i guess you like my posts,and thanx!
peace

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

I see. A star for an individual comment, and a flag for a thread.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Flags help promote a thread towards the front page.

I don't think stars have any real significance as far as ATS goes. Personally, I use them as a barometer of the general mindset . If a post gets a significant number of stars, it tells me that a lot of people here agree with what the poster said.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Once you gain a certain number of flags and stars, you are inducted into the Illuminati and informed of the real power behind everything. The induction is quite nice, though a bit weird (ever see Eyes Wide Shut?).

A short saucer trip to Zeti Reticuli 4, and a 6 month training program later, you're ready to play with the big boys in Washington.

edit on 11-4-2012 by Gazrok because: Kidding of course. It's really just a gauge of how members feel about your posts/threads.

top topics

join