It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice needed.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Hi folks .
I have been feeling a little down recently , which is unlike me . I'm usually a happy go lucky type of person and while I don't have many close friends , I am very sociable and value the friends I have.

I am 47 years old , going through a divorce , no kids , I have a decent job and I'm in a relationship with a wonderful woman .
Recently I have become very disillusioned with my life and the country where I live .
I hate what society has become and find myself spending more and more time by myself . I work nights and my lady works days , so most of my days off I spend by myself . I usually jump in my car with my camera and drive to remote area's to take pictures.
I keep thinking there is so much of the world that I haven't seen . I flew for the first time last year , had a holiday in Cyprus and I loved the whole experience.
My question is , should I soldier on here and hope that my dismay will pass , in the meantime carry on working and giving away most of my earnings in taxes and duties to a government that is squeezing me dry , or should I take the plunge and go off and see some of the world while I am still young enough and healthy enough to do so ?

Your thoughts please

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
As someone who has always wanted to visit distant lands, stay where you are.

By that I mean, don't go off the deep end, and maintain your job and love.
Save up and take a great vacation when you can. You obviously know you're spending a lot on frivolous things. If you stop spending like a moron(no offense, that's not directed at you), I'm sure you'll have enough for a grand vacation.
On a side note, you might want to take that vacation in late spring/early summer. Ya know, before SHTF.
lol can I contradict myself more?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnprince

Well its kinda clear to see which one sounds more like fun to you...
Life is short,
Since you're in your forties, you should have seen on a few occasions past regrets - as I hear it, we will always regret what we didn't do...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Save up and take a great vacation when you can. You obviously know you're spending a lot on frivolous things. If you stop spending like a moron(no offense, that's not directed at you), I'm sure you'll have enough for a grand vacation.
On a side note, you might want to take that vacation in late spring/early summer. Ya know, before SHTF.

Thanks for your advice .
I really don't spend my money frivolously. By the time I have paid my utility bills , rent , local government taxes, food bills, highly hiked petrol prices etc , there is very little left.
I don't think that anything cataclysmic is about to happen in the world . I remain optimistic on that subject.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsEvolutionBaby

Well its kinda clear to see which one sounds more like fun to you...
Life is short,
Since you're in your forties, you should have seen on a few occasions past regrets - as I hear it, we will always regret what we didn't do...

Thank you .
You are correct . I already have regrets and life is too short for any more

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Ah cheese-- putting together a response, I thought first - 'regrets - yes we've all had a few'
Do you know where I couldn't help but go from there ?
--------------------------------
Assuming and presuming you are not nonchalant about your decision. That you have put some serious logical thought behind it, and are making your decision from a healthy place.
And the elders know it best - go talk to a few of them.

Just felt compelled to reply as I recently made a similar (sort of) major life decision and I've never been happier - in fact I should have done it a few years earlier.

With that, I leave you with a bang-on classic (& more than likely where my thoughts posted in sentence #1 originated)
Can apparently never be sung enough, still rings true,

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Run as fast and as far as your heart and head will lead you, otherwise you end up in the land of regret, remorse,and what if ?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnprince

Originally posted by Ghost375

Thanks for your advice .
I really don't spend my money frivolously. By the time I have paid my utility bills , rent , local government taxes, food bills, highly hiked petrol prices etc , there is very little left.
I don't think that anything cataclysmic is about to happen in the world . I remain optimistic on that subject.

I'm sorry, I misinterpreted what you said. My fault entirely.
Although, like I said, the frivolous spending part wasn't really directed at you.

hehe, you're right about "that subject" in the long run, it will be very good. It's something to be optimistic about.

On another side note:
You make your own decision, don't suffer from "bad faith"

edit on 11-4-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
What's with the influx of people being depressed and 'not themselves' lately? I've noticed a lot of my friends and family acting the same way, myself included.

All I can recommend is doing what you love and doing what you know will take your mind off the stress and depression, for me it is producing music & (like you) taking photos. Mainly the music though, as my camera equipment is in need of a cleaning & some repairs and I'm kinda broke at the moment... :/

Are your photos online somewhere? Just curious

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ladysophiaofsandoz

Run as fast and as far as your heart and head will lead you, otherwise you end up in the land of regret, remorse,and what if ?

I like that!!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArrowsNV
What's with the influx of people being depressed and 'not themselves' lately? I've noticed a lot of my friends and family acting the same way, myself included.

All I can recommend is doing what you love and doing what you know will take your mind off the stress and depression, for me it is producing music & (like you) taking photos. Mainly the music though, as my camera equipment is in need of a cleaning & some repairs and I'm kinda broke at the moment... :/

Are your photos online somewhere? Just curious

Hi.
Thanks for your reply .
I am a member of Flickr and have been for a while

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

No offence taken , my friend .
Thank you again for your reply

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsEvolutionBaby

Originally posted by Ladysophiaofsandoz

I like that!!

Me too

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

Great reply . Seeing Old Blue Eyes made me smile .
I am giving it a great deal of thought and I know which way I will be swayed eventually .

Bless ya

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Get lots of exercise. Get that blood pumping through your brain and follow your heart. For all I know, you already do, but it helps me make good decisions and pushes away that dark cloud.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   

My thoughts.........

The grass always looks greener in the next field...............

Do all your exploring from a safe base

Look BEFORE you leap

Count your blessings

When you've made a decession go with it and don't look back

All that said
GOOD LUCK

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnimositisominA
Get lots of exercise. Get that blood pumping through your brain and follow your heart. For all I know, you already do, but it helps me make good decisions and pushes away that dark cloud.

Thank you .
I cycle to and from work everyday ( circa 6 miles round trip ) , but recently developed Asthma and I'm wondering if cycling along with motor vehicles and being exposed to exhaust fumes has caused it .

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

Thank you Eletheia .
Your reply made me smile

edit on 11-4-2012 by dawnprince because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

You can take it from there.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

You can take it from there.

How can I not , after such a marvelous quote ?

Thank you so very much

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join