It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea - The Big Picture

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Everyone here knows by now that North Korea plans to launch a rocket to supposedly put a satellite into orbit. The situation is being completely blown out of proportion. Why are we so quick to dictate what another State can or cannot do? Sure I got it, there's a UN Resolution that says they can't launch, how old is that and isn't it time to possibly change it? The two previous leaders of the DPRK made many mistakes and the people who live there still suffer from these decisions.

Kim Jong Un is a new, young leader who may be willing to make some positive changes to improve the quality of life and the overall well-being of his country. He accepted food aid form the U.S., which has now been suspended due to the upcoming launch. The acceptance of this aid for his people seems like a step in the right direction. Now we have this launch of a satellite which is another positive step for any other State. Even if this is not a satellite, as some have claimed, it is still the workings of a State trying to improve their technological abilities. Whether this has to do with military technology or not is beside the point. How many missile/rocket/weapons tests are conducted routinely by leaders who are actively committing atrocities as you read this? I don't know the answer but I'm absolutely positive that other 'dangerous' States test whatever they want, with little or no notice from the UN.

Now I'll get back to Kim Jong Un being a new leader and why this may turn out catastrophic. South Korea, Japan, and the U.S. are threatening to shoot whatever this is out of the sky. He is a young and un tested in situations such as these, unlike his father. We have no idea what may come as retaliation from the North. No action would make him seem weak to the entire world. He knows he will need to assert himself as a strong leader who will 'protect' his people and stand up to those who are attempting to hold his great nation down. In my opinion if there is a retaliation it will be extreme, and a very bad situation for North Korea - possibly even the world.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Gotta love creating a thread just to have an earthquake steal the audience.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
If North Korea is not allowed to peruse space technology like South Korea and many other nations then it will see this attack to is sovereignty as hostile. Last I heard, space was neutral territory free for all who could get there to explore and better mankind. As long as they play by the rules as it is getting crowed out there and not messing with other people toys I see no problem with it.

As for what they could do if it gets shoot down, build a big ground based laser and start shooting down satellites or maybe start hacking the satellites instead or many other things. If the US decides to send a clear sign to NK that it does not trust them, even though they have been transparent with these rocket preparations, why should NK trust the US? I know the nuclear issue has been a big one behind this with many others. If the North and South Korea could finally sit down and sign a peace treaty it would put an end to a lot of this long running conflict.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

A treaty was already signed more than 60 years ago, and North Korea has violated that treaty multiple times.

As far as space technology concerned, they are allowed to pursue that. The only problem for them is are several UNSC resolutions which prohibit North Korea of the use and/or development of ICBM's. And then you also have to ask whether it's morally alright to spend heaps of money in developing satellites and delivery systems while North Korea's population is suffering from starvation.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by -Rugged Shark-
reply to post by kwakakev

A treaty was already signed more than 60 years ago, and North Korea has violated that treaty multiple times.

As far as space technology concerned, they are allowed to pursue that. The only problem for them is are several UNSC resolutions which prohibit North Korea of the use and/or development of ICBM's. And then you also have to ask whether it's morally alright to spend heaps of money in developing satellites and delivery systems while North Korea's population is suffering from starvation.

Then you have to ask is it morally right to stop the food aid to those suffering people only because the few in power don't want to play by UN rules. Cancelling the aid most likely doesn't affect those at the top, and they do not care what their people want or need, therefore the only thing stopping the food aid did is starve more people.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by -Rugged Shark-

A ceasefire treaty was signed about 60 years ago. Technically North and South Korea are still in a state of war. There is some work going on towards reunification of Korea, but until that happens the relationship is going to be tough and tense. Without a peace treaty being signed there is no shared or common sense of security, hence all the military and hunger.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
zimmerman doesnt exist is more important that a possible war breaking out. gotta be kidding me. why are people so lost

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
How does North Korea putting a satellite in space to take pics of earth help the Korean people?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Hamjoe

It's called technology. it helps NK become more like everyone else, instead of an outcast. NK can live without technology forever, or they can try to improve - which obviously is what they are attempting.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SGTSECRET

Kim Jong Un is a new, young leader who may be willing to make some positive changes to improve the quality of life and the overall well-being of his country. He accepted food aid form the U.S., which has now been suspended due to the upcoming launch. The acceptance of this aid for his people seems like a step in the right direction. Now we have this launch of a satellite which is another positive step for any other State. Even if this is not a satellite, as some have claimed, it is still the workings of a State trying to improve their technological abilities.

He accepted food aid. Ok. It is not the same decades old tactics of North Korea blackmailing the world for food aid by threatening nuclear tests and similar tricks ,no sir.
It is new leader. Generously accepting food aid from arch-enemy US for starving North Koreans while conducting expensive (and politically provokating) launches.
Give him a chance, let him blackmail as usual.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Sunday will be the Father of the Revolution, Kim Il Sung's 100th Birthday. I hope all goes well with the rocket launch, and it lands safely in the ocean.

If you had a rocket, wouldn't you want to let it off on such an auspicious occasion?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge

Kim Jong Un is a new, young leader who may be willing to make some positive changes to improve the quality of life and the overall well-being of his country. He accepted food aid form the U.S., which has now been suspended due to the upcoming launch. The acceptance of this aid for his people seems like a step in the right direction. Now we have this launch of a satellite which is another positive step for any other State. Even if this is not a satellite, as some have claimed, it is still the workings of a State trying to improve their technological abilities.

He accepted food aid. Ok. It is not the same decades old tactics of North Korea blackmailing the world for food aid by threatening nuclear tests and similar tricks ,no sir.
It is new leader. Generously accepting food aid from arch-enemy US for starving North Koreans while conducting expensive (and politically provokating) launches.
Give him a chance, let him blackmail as usual.

"Let him blackmail as usual" that's weird how do you or anyone else know what his 'usual' is yet ? He just started genius nobody knows what kind of things he will or will not do.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

I agree that the stopping of the food aid is the wrong signal to send to NK, as it most likely will only effect the people, who are starving already. So now that the launch has failed, it would be good to start up the food deliveries again.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
As I wrote previously, Sunday is the 100th birthday of Kim Il Sung. I believe they will try again to launch a rocket to celebrate his birthday.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by deessell

I haven't read anything regarding a new launch. Although I was a bit surprised to see the North Korean Press Agency admitting that the satellite failed to reach orbit.

new topics

top topics

join