It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whoever thinks today's children are dumbed down better watch this video and then think again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Alert 7th grade students on a school bus step right into action when the driver has a sudden heart attack while driving. Watch as one student quickly rushes forward, steers the bus to the side of the road, and another yells for him to remove the keys from the ignition. Then the student applies CPR as another dials 911.

Whoever said that all students are dumbed down better come forward and apologize. These kids do their parents and school proud. I hope their community rewards them well.

The word is that the bus driver is still in serious condition in hospital.

Well done, kids! Very very well done!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Kids these days.

edit on 10-4-2012 by emberscott because: Better version of the video

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface
...and another yells for him to remove the keys from the ignition.

Is that wise?
I think if I did that in my car it would lock the steering wheel.
Are busses different?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
To say someone is "dumbed down", does not reflect on their intelligence. It is to say they are purposefully kept ignorant of things they shouldn't be.

Awesome vid. Thanks for posting it.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I seen this on the news today in the UK, great jobs those kids did, and they should be proud!

It really 'grinds my gears', so to speak, when people lable all kids as dumb these days, it's a gross generalisation. Yes there are stupid ones out there, but there are many, if not more adults just as stupid.

I remember being a young teenager, and having the frustraition when talking to elders about such things as politics/music/whatever, and them just giving me a look, as to say i wouldn't understand because i was too young.

To me, generalisation is on the same level as ignorance, if you lable a whole generation as stupid, you're instantly denying them a chance and a voice, and deny a group of society a voice, and they will backlash.
edit on 10-4-2012 by Trolloks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by emberscott

Yes, one good/bad action doesn't represent an entire generation but I don't think that's what the OP is getting at...and some of you are missing that.
edit on 10-4-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

I hate to burst that bubble of yours, but that was ONE kid. Singular! I don't see how the actions of one individual is indicative of an entire generation. I myself have nothing in common with the rest of my generation. Kudos to that one kid, but notice how those kids in the front row on the right of the bus were looking right at the driver and did nothing. That kid was sitting 3 or so rows back and he was the only one who got up. If that doesn't tell you something than nothing else will. There will always be exceptional individuals, but, unfortunately, you have one good kid for every 20 losers as far as I'm concerned anyways. It's always been that way.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by emberscott

It's bloody hilarious when he stops the car, jumps and runs just like any other perp.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

If the kid had've listened to that foolhardy advice, the outcome of that situation would have been alot worse.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
One kid does not speak for all.

Great vid but the proof is really in the majority. When a good majority don't know who was involved in WW2, who the first President was, how to read, speak or use a simple ruler, we have a problem.

And let's not forget that the Titanic wasn't just a movie...

Kid's fault? Absolutely not. Our fault? Some. Govt. plan through fluoride in the water, unknown and untested forced vaccines? aha...now we're talkin'!

Peace

edit on 10-4-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Each generation of kids are actually getting more "brain power" imo, overall anyway. When I was growing up I would always feel as though the younger generations had more brain power then when I was their age.

The problem is, this "brain power" they have is vastly wasted and is isn't tapped into properly. Important information is purposely kept from them. Their education is more like an indoctrination to turn them into workers and consumers.

I tell you, if I could redo school, half the time I would be correcting my teachers and elaborating on their explanations. I would get up and teach the class myself when necessary, and the teachers would be amazed at how much even they weren't taught.

This westernized education we receive is so watered down, so filtered and sterilized. I only had one teacher who was ever willing to discuss important information removed from our education, he would slip in those types of facts here and there.

It was probably that teacher which led me to search much deeper into many of the things he discussed briefly. Most kids in the class probably didn't pay attention to those interesting little bits of education, but I certainly did.

School would have been so much more interesting if they taught us that sort of information rather than the bland orthodox mainstream information. There have been countless times when I learn something new and wonder why they didn't teach that to us.

If I were to go back to school they'd probably end up kicking me out for undermining the teachers lessons and acting like I knew more than the teachers. They wouldn't be able to stand the fact that I could show their lessons ignored so much vital information.

I've also thought about becoming a teacher so I can enlighten the kids properly but I know I wouldn't last very long after they realized how much I was deviating from the mainstream education plans. I would need to be sneaky like the teacher I mentioned earlier.
edit on 10-4-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The goofy part of that story is the school itself. The kid did an awesome job - no arguments there. However his actions came from the school. Apparently the school puts the students through training on what to do if something goes wrong with the school bus.

Apparently the school actually used common sense and decided to treat their students as intelligent individuals who are capable of exercising good judgment rather than treating them as individuals who should rely on someone else if something goes wrong.

In this case the student acted quickly, was able to get the bus under control and then stop it. The other students on the bus actually called 911 and reported what was going on. The student who stopped the bus assisted with the CPR from what I have read.

Props all around, from the school to the students on the bus.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
As the mother of a 13 year old I have talked to some extremely intelligent and knowledgeable teens and preteens. No offense to the ones here, but the generations I think that seems the most dumbed down in many respects is the baby boomer generation. The younger generation may have less knowledge as a whole but they are more apt to think for themselves than some of the older generations. Which says to me they want the knowledge they just need to be told where to find it. The older generations are not as open to thinking outside the box. (making generalizations here.) I am a gen x'er myself.

new topics

top topics

join