It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help. Is My BOB to Heavy?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
If you're heading for a fixed base, or a set of them, you might also consider caching your ammo at your rally points ahead of time, rather than rucking it all about with you. If you have to ditch your ruck you will lose all your supplies. It might be better to have some caches in the area you plan to go to. That's not possible if you're on the move, though.

Might also see if there's any people teaching any edible plants courses in the area you plan to inhabit, get some books, start learning to identify what you can eat and what not without a second glance. Practice fishing and snare setting without anything more than a spool of line and a hook. Practice moving around in the woods without spooking the game. Do some wet condition firestarting until you can do it in a minute or so.

There were sayings I used to hate with the passion of a thousand burning suns, but they were right:

If it ain't raining, you ain't training.

You will perform the way you trained. If you train in the barracks with the lights on, that's where you'll shine.

If you can't do it in the dark while you're running from someone shooting at you, you're not proficient enough yet, or it's too complicated.

You can have 75 pounds of the lightest, most advanced gear the Army offers in your ruck, but it's still 75 pounds.

You always need socks, soap, and a canteen with a cup you can cook in. These are non-negotiable.

And of course, my rule: Tabasco can make even road kill palatable.

oh, and ps: never forget your SLLS approaching the rally point,

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

My husband took down a turkey with a head shot at 150 yards with a .22 rifle, and I'm a better shot than him. It's also funny that the rifle of choice for the deer poachers in this area is .22. Why do people keep insisting this is not a viable option? I've seen them do so much of what is said can't be done with them.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by txjab512

I have a great fishing tackle idea.
regular nail
2 empty 12 ga shotgun shell trim rough edges
fishing string
pack of hooks
several pea size clamp wieghts
with this set up you wrap the string around the nail until you have enough for several poles.
taking one of the shells put in the string, hooks, and wieghts. invert the other shell and push the two shells together. With a little effort and a pinch they will slide together to make a shotgun shell sized tackle box.
Also every BOB should have super glue with its many uses you can use it for stiches if you happen to get cut.
Also some real honey it is a great topical anti-bacterial ointment and a good source of sugar energy.
In the camping area there are pen size bug bite, poison ivy, and off which fits well in molly gear.
My bag wieghs about 30pounds w/o ammo........and 80lbs with.
edit on 12-4-2012 by hanyak69 because: out of order

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

how

The best SHTF gun is the 22. It is relatively quiet, it will protect, feed and has cheap ammo.In a true SHTF senario gold is worthless as would be silver, but everyone is going out and buying this stuff. My question is how much ammo could you buy with the same amount of cash? Gold and silver is a supply and demand commodity, ammo will be a necessity. With a gold coin and you see someone with a big mac, your family has not eaten for 3 wks how much is the gold coin worth? If you have a bullet ,you could offer trade, shoot him and take the big mack, or go shoot a squirrell for food. At least you have options. As societycomes back to normal then trade bullets for gold or currency.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
i walked to the grocer and bought about 30 lbs of food and stuff.

its a 30 minute round trip; approximately 2 miles.

by the time I got back to the house i was soaking wet; not tired but it is exertion.

if live in a city or suburb and have to bugout; no matter where you are on earth...i'm thinking you should expect at least a 26.2 mile walking trip before you begin to find a place to camp. if you are not the only one bugging out that day and you are competing for space there is no telling when your long walk will end.

OP should build a 30 lbs pack and walk a marathon under various conditions, 1 hot during the day and 1 wet during the night, to test his/her pack.

guns and ammo are dead weight and will be viewed as an attractive target for robbers or a threat by others; you should probably sell that and buy lots of mind altering drugs...you're gonna need them.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by hanyak69

The best SHTF gun is the 22. It is relatively quiet, it will protect, feed and has cheap ammo

Don't forget the other benefit...the ammo is SMALL too. So you can carry more...

As for hiking in an event...I work about 40 miles away from home (yeah, sucks to commute, but looking for something closer). So, if I can't take the truck home, I've got a heck of a hike ahead of me with my BOB, hehe... My wife is lucky, she runs the ranch, so she's always home, but there's a BOB in her car too, just in case something happens while she's at the store, etc.

In FL, our more likely events are short term, such as Hurricanes. I've already been through enough to know exactly what to expect with things like gas shortages, supply shortages, and service disruption, etc. and that little taste has been enough to make me want to be ready for such things in the future. Katrina was probably my own personal wake up call. Seeing how society could go all to hell in a major city like that, over the course of weeks, was a real eye-opener. It doesn't take a global or nation-wide SHTF scenario to make one prepare. A localized one can make for some bad weeks just as easily....
edit on 12-4-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join