It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help. Is My BOB to Heavy?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Camero...we've talked about this in the past.

Does OPSEC ring a bell?
Hello!? McFly!

Take it on a ruck march, start off at 6 miles and work up from there.

Oh, And trim those MRE's down a tad, not everything is edible...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I just wanted to add a thought in general and in terms of what people carry and don't. You're not going to homestead, so don't pack comfort items or entertainment things. If it wouldn't be a life/death and health issue to have at the start of each day and in the time to settle in at night, then I'd say a larger pack would be the place for it but not a last minute, run out the door BOB.

On the other hand, someone recently reminded me of the value in little things that can trade better than silver or gold if things fall apart. Metals aren't edible and don't really do anything in the immediate term....but things like lighters and hand warmers sure do. A small investment in a large matchbox worth of Zippo flints could turn out to be worth far more than it seems today, for instance.
The little things like that take almost no space but are what no one thinks to stock and just can't give enough to have after the need arises. Just don't crash my market if we wind up in the same area in some bad future scenario.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
If I intend on climbing hills and travelling through rough terrain, I don't carry more that 25kg for the bag I currently use. How well the bag itself distributed the weight should also be considered.

A good bag will put a lot of the weight against your hips and lower back, as opposed to the weight hanging off your shoulders.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by starshift
If there ever was a bug out event, I'd imagine that people would find a lot of discarded items in the woods due to packing too much stuff that does too little.

You sure would. I go bush every year or so by myself for a week or two (have a very understanding wife
). A mate of mine drops me off and picks me up quite some distance away, and you soon learn to think about what you don't need rather than what you do.

Here's what I took last month when I went walkabout for 6 days. It weighed just under 22kg (knife and canteen were on my belt).

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
Other....Older diesel engines with a decompression lever....these have virtually no electronics beyond the start circuit. Keep a spare starter motor and a new lead acid battery in a dry state with sufficient acid to fill it.

Yep. My '89 4WD Navara only needs electricity to operate a magnetic valve on the injector pump.
If you drain some coolant and heat it up on a fire, you can pour it down the top radiator hose to heat up the cylinder head, and you shouldn't have to worry about glow plugs not working.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
If you do end up going on test runs with your gear, something I have learned to do is to make an accurate inventory list of your BoB's contents, that way when you are done with your trip you can use the inventory list to check that the contents are in order and ready for an actual situation when you might need it.

Very good advice!

I did that and had "rod" and "reel" on it. But the reel didn't have the handle on it!

Made one out of a branch, though.

Another tip is to gather kindling and wrap it in some plastic for the next day. Starting a fire can be a hassle if it rains overnight or everything is covered in dew in the morning.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Drop the .223 rounds, silver and the crank radio from your BOB.
From your vest lost both ballistic plates and 2 of the 30 round clips of .223.
That should be 15-20 lbs and make your overall weight easier to manage.
I didn't recall seeing a water filter, a multi-tool on your list or a rain poncho.
Non hybrid vegetable seeds would be more valuable than silver by weight for trading purposes.

You might want to consider a mountain bike or a travois as Danbones mentioned.

If multiple votes for the same mean anything to you check ReluctantPawns post below.
I agree, avoid fighting or being seen. Wear good camo and never walk out in the open when possible.
Always scope ahead before moving and you won't be seen in all probability.
(I've found a small monocular works great and only 1/4 of the weight of a pair of binoculars.)
edit on 11-4-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   

edit on 11-4-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
You might try taking your BOB for a walkabout.

If you've never actually tried living off it for the weekend, set one aside and give it a go. Practice the thing. Do them in rain, in good weather, in cold. Keep notes, you'll find out what works and doesn't pretty fast.

I recommend fishing line and simple hooks in your BOB too. Light and useful.Worse comes to worst you can use the line for rabbit snares and sutures.

Oh, also, tabasco. People used to mock me until we'd been in the field a while, pepper sauce makes everything better. Even raw fish, cattail tubers and bugs.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
You are way ahead of me BoB kit-wise, but one of the first things I bought was a small emergency water filter.

Emerg ency Water Filter
edit on 11-4-2012 by jim3981 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

ref caches....just bury them at night,not hard to hide.as for the bob,keep as it is and add months supply of codeine and caffeine tabs...could keep you going when you are sore and tired.downsides are constipation and increased water intake.also am sure dont need to tell you they are habit forming and id you have an addictive personality best stay clear.
mods please note this is not advocating drug use as they are are both everyday prescription medications

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Take it on a ruck march, start off at 6 miles and work up from there.

Ah, yes. Physical exercise. That one element which has always kept me in Survivalism's "wannabe" phase.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
If you have ask it is too heavy. Get rid of the 45 223, and the armor. You do not want to get into a firefight you want to get to where you are going. If you get into a firefight you have already blown it. Travel at night and in the rain. It is imperitive that you stay out of sight. Anything that others see as valuable will be taken from you ,no matter how much firepower you have.

Replace your firearms with either a 10/22 or other lightweight 22. A ruger mkII with a pac-lite barrel will work for a pistol. You can carry a few hundred rounds almost in your pocket.

Get rid of the MRE's. Carry freeze dried or pasta meals. Available in most groceries.

280 miles is 15 days travel give or take a few days. No tent but do get a good sil-nylon tarp, weight about one pound. Ditch the clothes and carry a good light weigh jacket, that can be compressed.

A multitool is a necessity.

A bike will save you a lot of time if you can use it without being seen.

Learn and PRACTICE good primiive living and camping skills.

Ditch he crank radio and go with a cheap AA powered radio with headset. Spare batteries and maybe a solar charger.

One small light. Not to be used when traveling [it makes you a target] for emergency use only. You will be amazed a how well you can see in the dark after you have become adjusted to the dark.

I can live indeffinately with what I carry and it weighs less than 15 lbs. Add another 10 for firearms as described.

And for those asking yes I have, and do regularly.

reluctantpawn

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

This is all around solid advice. I'd love to see your kit, RP.
edit on 11-4-2012 by METACOMET because: ss

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
dbl post
edit on 11-4-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

Sounds good. I got a few ideas from your list, but I have to say 100 rounds of 22lr? In a live situation that would last no time if there was a defense situation. I would suggest picking up a 550 box (only around 20 bucks), and probably a higher caliber gun for defense against larger animals and whatever else. Good luck killing anything but rabbits and squirrels (and maybe a bird) with 22. It would have to be a a perfect shot for a small deer and likely wouldn't take a turkey. I would consider getting a mosin nagant and modifying it to take some of the weight off (they are heavy). Or maybe a hipoint rifle they are cheap and light (take 9mm rounds).

100 rounds is just far far from enough.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

them things... tools: multipliers , poncho and h20 purifier should not have to be listed , same as first aid kit, meds rope ax shovel bed roll change of clothes, boots, gloves.
Ammo, BP vest, AR15, glock9, or colt 45 12 or 20 ga. how many rounds; each... chain saw, or bat powered "sawz all" should be the questions asked yes you should get one of thees shown only as a sample www.wayfair.com...[]=3313883 it is the best of both worlds metal and wood cutting.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
If I were at home I would post pics, however I am not. Most people would be disappointed. Most of my kit is based on knowledge and ingenuity. Very old school in its composition. I would suggest you look up some of the older books and magazines for ideas. Then convert those ideas into more modern materials.

You should have little with only one specific purpose. Anything you carry should cover multiple bases. Short of a good knife and fire starting tools one should be able o get along with little else. If you cannot survive with this you need to practice some more. Anything else is just icing on the cake.

Having said that it does not mean that life is going to be easy, but it can be gotten through. In regards to a BOB. Having a bug out location is paramount. Your trip out should be fast and ahead of others. If you wait for everyone else i will be too late!

I know what I can and cannot eat, I know that I can go days without food, in a survival situation. I know because I have been there. Knowledge and experience is what is missing from so many BOB's.

But also remember that there are no guarantees no matter how prepared you are.

relucantpawn

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

How in the world would we know if your BOB is TOO heavy????
Can you carry it?
If so then.......IT ISN'T TOO HEAVY!,
If not then.......IT IS!

My BOB is 55 lbs.
I walk with it often through the woods near my house.
I run a mile every night with a 100 lb heavy bag on my shoulders.
I weigh 230 lbs.
So for me.......NO your BOB isn't too heavy.

But, I am not you.
You ARE you.
So you tell me, is your BOB too heavy?
edit on 11-4-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

As I stated you do not want to get into a defensive situation.
Plus I have hillbilly relatives that regularly poach deer with a suppressed .22.
Turkey are not a problem as you take head shots.
It is required that you know how to shoot

reluctantpawn

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

then all you need is ammo and a good knife a fire starting kit, and some rope an ax and shovel, your good to go!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join