It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA seeks robot enthusiasts (and you) to face off for $2M prize!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I think the the push is on to develop useful 'humanoid' robots. I'll be gald when there are mass-produced Robby Robots to serve in every home.

"DARPA seeks robot enthusiasts (and you) to face off for $2M prize!"
www.darpa.mil...

Robots played a supporting role in mitigating fallout from the Fukushima nuclear plant disaster in Japan, and are used by U.S. military forces as assistants for servicemembers in diffusing improvised explosive devices. True innovation in robotics technology could result in much more effective robots that could better intervene in high-risk situations and thus save human lives and help contain the impact of natural and man-made disasters.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I doubt that they are really looking for robots to help save lives. I would bet money what they are really looking for are military applications. When the public designs robots we get "robo wars" and "battle bots". this reminds me of how in the 80's they had school children draw up fantastical airplanes and war machines and actually stole ideas from 6th graders, such as thrust vectoring.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Would be cool as hell to have robot boxing...That would bring mad money.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I would think this U.S. NAVY robot, named SAFFiR, would be a close-related development.

"Navy humanoid robot can put out fires"
www.slashgear.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
"they" are at least 40 years ahead of what ever you think you see

"they" know everyone in the US has 5 guns
Funny..
"they" don't seem to worried about it.

this sounds like a nice way to pre empt any home grown competition
edit on 10-4-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
They could have used robots like those of DARPA's Challenge Contest, to search for survivors in last week's NAVY jet crash into the apartment complex.

"F-18 Jet Crashes into Virginia Beach Apartment Complex"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I recall it was several hours after the fires were extinguished, before the worst-hit apartment buildings could be searched. They said they had to wait because the buildings were still too hot, and the air was toxic with carbon fiber material. Fortunate that there was no one in those buildings, awaiting rescue at that time.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
A hover type drone that vacuum sucks --
nuclear-toxic
bio toxic
and other gas or spore related materials

It would sit over top say Fukushima like a large blimp somewhat w/ special filters that intake the dirty air and release clean are why also trapping the bad products within its capture chamber.... So it has monitors within it to detect N.B.C threats and automatically begins to CLEAN. Tried to keep it as far away from war bots as possible. CME or GAMMA destruction of those terminator type devices would make for a dirty clean up process afterwards considering the batteries within the mechs..

good luck
edit on 4/10/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join