It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geological Upheaval? Huge Growing Sinkhole 40x15ft 'Swallowed up 3 Trees, Powerlines' - HOUSTON TX

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

what could be causing all these seismic & geological disturbances these days?

just a random freak incident.. as usual, right??

edit on 10-4-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture

what could be causing all these seismic & geological disturbances these days?

just a random freak incident.. as usual, right??

edit on 10-4-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

I dont think so, maybe H.M.O related.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Well...the video itself states that it was a storm drain that collapsed that caused the sinkhole...hence the city fixing it. If it were natural causes the city would not be doing anything, it would be the homeowners responsibility with their insurance company.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

a storm drain caused this???

hmmmmmmmmm....

(yea right)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska
reply to post by BiggerPicture

a storm drain caused this???

hmmmmmmmmm....

(yea right)

It's not that hard to believe. Just Google Storm Drain Sinkhole and you will have plenty of pictures and reading to see how it can easily be caused by storm drains breaking and eroding the earth underneath and causing massive holes.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Combine last year's massive drought with this year's higher-than-usual rainfall and you will get sinkholes like this, especially if there are leaks in the storm pipes and water mains. Soil can erode for months, if not years, before showing any signs of a problem and then boom....sinkhole.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Observed
, but why did it take them 2 months to get to it and not until the media called them?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Typical response time for the City of Houston Public Works Dept.

You should see some of the potholes around town on busy streets. By the time they actually get to them, they are close to being sinkholes themselves.

Again, most of the problems plaguing the Public Works Dept. right now are due to last year's drought. At one time last year, there were thousands of water leaks that they were responding to that were caused by the ground shifting.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Observed
, but why did it take them 2 months to get to it and not until the media called them?

My guess would be the ONLY reason they came was because media got involved and the local political faction did not want bad publicity and wanted to be seen as the good guy by fixing it. They do stuff like that regularly around me for potholes and other paved road issues, there is even a reporting line for locals to call in to and tell the news crews about their particular issue and if they deem it news worthy they will report on it and typically there is a follow up report a couple days later saying the city came and fixed it right after the news report aired.

Sad, but while the media is always putting a spin on things, they seem to try to do things like this to get local popularity ratings.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
They happen. I live where an aqua fir is being drained for its water too fast. We have so many fissures and sink holes out here, that there is a map for them in this county. I get bad fissures when I water an area of my yard it compacts the dirt, and collapses .

It is a common thing in dry areas, in the rite kind of soil conditions.

new topics

top topics

join