It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestion: Expanding the number of threads listed on the New Topics list

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Can ATS powers-who-be-powers consider expanding the Real Time list (on the left) of "New Topics" from eight to sixteen or 20, or +? At times new topics roll by quickly, and I've seen good threads go away. Many if not most visitors will not know about the firehose (and why not put a link to the New Topic firehouse after the last thread on the real time list?), so doubling the number of theads listed on the main New Topics page could get some interesting topics a longer look.

And having only eight new topics highlighted, especially on a breaking news day, assures less data reaching the public, less views for particular threads, and limits the choices of the general public and others who aren't aware of the firehouse option.

And there is plenty of room to expand that Real Time list, or maybe all the lists on New Topics. How about it? Information wants to be free, or at least viewed longer. Thanks.

(I wrote much of this yesterday on another thread, and it went unanswered, so I thought putting under its own thread may get the discussion rolling somewhere. Thanks again.)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I agree, I can only come on once every so often, which means I miss lots of threads that would otherwise be great, but obviously don't get a lot of exposure due to the tiny list on new topics, and the fire-hose is slightly annoying, three large columns with hundreds of new topics, and when it auto-refreshes and a few new topics are added, it takes me a while to find my previous place in the list

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by domasio

Thanks for the "second" to the motion. I can't come up with any reason not to expand all the lists on New Topics. It just gives people more options on a popular board, and lets different people find what could become, with more exposure, a potentially favorite and possibly well-read thread.
edit on 10-4-2012 by Aleister because: expand

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I'm not sure what you mean...... if you click "new topics" then click "new topics firehose" there's a gazillion topics there.....

I do miss the old format though
can I get that back? ::begs in vain::

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Of course the firehouse has many more threads than the first page of new topics, but what I'm pointing out is that although clicking New Topics is easy for visitors -, it's very prominently presented on the sites menu - I would guess that the percentage of visitors (not users) who know about the firehouse feature is quite small. Giving visitors a wider choice but not an overwhelming choice may be the porridge heated just right.

In any case, keeping the list to only eight New Topics seems very limited, especially on a fast or breaking news day. There is so much room to expand that list to 16 or 20 that I can't think of any reasons not to - thus this thread.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Now here's a real time example. The thread "An ultra deep image thats FULL of galaxies!" has 20 flags and was number four under the flagged list of New Topics. Then it was closed because of an earlier thread, "200 000 galaxies in this 6 TB IR photo!! Deepest IR sky view ever taken", which probably passed by the que quickly. The new thread has a snappier title, so likely attracted more attention. Now the thread with 20 flags is closed and going nowhere although it was headed for stardom, and the one with 18 flags isn't listed on New Topics. Sigh.
edit on 11-4-2012 by Aleister because: thread title added

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Maybe I had it wrong, but isn't this the forum where board members or admins go to disucss changes in policy? Or my mistake? The simple change I brought up with this thread seems like an easy one to agree to and create, but if nobody in "power" here knows about it, just talking into the wind. Hello? Anybody home? Oh well.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
And how about expanding "Current Member Picks" and "Hot Topics" on the front page from three to five? It wouldn't take much more space, but would expand the 'focused on' topics by 66%!

66% with just a small change in format! I likey.

new topics

top topics

join