It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pell says Adam and Eve didn't exist

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
If Adam didn't exist, why is he mentioned again in the New Testament in the list of genealogy, according to
Luke 3:23-38?

www.biblegateway.com...:23-38;&version=NIV;

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Because it's not a historical document.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

I'm doubting someone would come up with such a lengthy list to prove a point in a made up story.

2nd.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by Garfee

I'm doubting someone would come up with such a lengthy list to prove a point in a made up story.

2nd.

Depends what you want from it and how long you have.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
If he believes one story in the Bible is a myth how many other stories does he not believe? At some point you have to believe something in the Bible is true to be a Christian or a Catholic. So that would mean he picks and chooses according to his own "wisdom" what he wants to believe is true in the Bible? That is a dangerous road for someone who was so committed to the religion they became a Cardinal.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

From your post, I gather you believe in the "old man in the sky that grants wishes"?
Are you one of the folks that is simply "hedging your bets"?

If you do believe in the bible's god, would you so kindly tell me your thoughts on the following:

a) Science has proven that the age of the Earth is Millions of years older than the bible says it is. Before you decide to use the inaccuracies of carbon dating, please learn more about it. Carbon dating is not 100% accurate, but carbon dating is accurate enough, to be 100% certain that the Earth is MUCH more than 6000 years old.

b) Noah: No man in his right mind, or with a logical mind, could ever believe the story of Noah. The story is a direct insult to logic. One guy built a 450-foot wooden boat and somehow put two of every animal (and seven of every "clean" animal) on it, including the animals living on continents that hadn’t been discovered yet (which means he also must have discovered and explored all of the Americas and Australia, not to mention climbed the Himalayas,.... what for?? to fetch the yaks), and kept them all alive and fed and playing nicely with one another for forty days, and then got them back to where they all lived. Seriously??????? No really, seriously???
So, a 450 x 75 x 45 arc, fit 3,858,920 animals? Logical??? Possible???

"Prove that god doesn't exist!" says religion!

Invisible Pink Unicorns are beings of great spiritual power. We know this because they are capable of being invisible and pink at the same time. Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them. — Steve Eley

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by Garfee

2nd.

Have you ever read the Harry Potter series including Bettle the Bard?, the Lord of The Rings trilogy? The Chronicles of Narnia? any other series where character development was well rounded?

Take the Star Wars franchise, the 3 original movies were actually in the middle of the story, the writer wrote what became the first 3 movies(prequels), and another 3 after the first set, to develop characters, and their back stories.

Just saying.
edit on 4/10/2012 by RyanFromCan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Dah....It is a Myth...A myth is a story passed on for generations that has no evidence of being true....It doesn't mean it isn't true just because there is no evidence, it is just a Myth. The big bang theory is a Myth also.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MobiusShaun
reply to post by korathin

From your post, I gather you believe in the "old man in the sky that grants wishes"?
Are you one of the folks that is simply "hedging your bets"?

If you do believe in the bible's god, would you so kindly tell me your thoughts on the following:

a) Science has proven that the age of the Earth is Millions of years older than the bible says it is. Before you decide to use the inaccuracies of carbon dating, please learn more about it. Carbon dating is not 100% accurate, but carbon dating is accurate enough, to be 100% certain that the Earth is MUCH more than 6000 years old.

b) Noah: No man in his right mind, or with a logical mind, could ever believe the story of Noah. The story is a direct insult to logic. One guy built a 450-foot wooden boat and somehow put two of every animal (and seven of every "clean" animal) on it, including the animals living on continents that hadn’t been discovered yet (which means he also must have discovered and explored all of the Americas and Australia, not to mention climbed the Himalayas,.... what for?? to fetch the yaks), and kept them all alive and fed and playing nicely with one another for forty days, and then got them back to where they all lived. Seriously??????? No really, seriously???
So, a 450 x 75 x 45 arc, fit 3,858,920 animals? Logical??? Possible???

"Prove that god doesn't exist!" says religion!

Invisible Pink Unicorns are beings of great spiritual power. We know this because they are capable of being invisible and pink at the same time. Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them. — Steve Eley

Your version of the story is an insult to the story that is actually in scripture. Nowhere does it state that Noah gathered every SPECIES of animal. It say every animal after it's kind. That tremendously reduces the number of animals and the need to travel to other continents. i.e. no polar or panda bears- just bears. Also where does it say they were adult animals?

Now I am not stating a position on these stories but I just think that if their validity is being debated we should give accurate accounts of what is said.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Garfee
I wish the church would come to a consensus on the subject before they start bleating on to everyone else about following them or perishing in a hell that now may or may not be a myth!

From the Thread author:

George Pell AC (born 8 June 1941) is an Australian cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church. He is the eighth and current Archbishop of Sydney, serving since 2001...

The Vatican is the only official source of the Church teachings...
Cardinal Pell just made a personal insight not a 'doctrine' of the Church....

so there is no consensus to be reached
perhaps the Cardinal will get "called on the carpet" for his comment

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I don't think this is the first time a person of religious authority has admitted the obvious reality that Adam and Eve didn't exist. There are plenty of Christians who are willing to admit that Adam and Eve and the Eden story are probably allegorical and not literal. It's good to see not everyone in the Catholic Church is moving backwards in regards to reality.

By the way the admission that Adam and Eve never existed is a kind of a no-brainer, it's either that or be forced to admit that the human species is the result of massive inbreeding, which would, by extension, make God pretty stupid for not being able to realize he should have started out with more than two.

May also come as a surprise that several Popes have endorsed Evolution in favor of Creationism.

As an atheist I never want to live in a world without mythology but I'd love to live in a world without religion, if that makes sense.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
reply to post by Xcathdra

Can you show me the photographs of Adam and Eve so I can see their bellybuttons? Thanks.

Go to yahoo or google and type in adam and eve and click pictures.

When Adam and Eve was created there was no cameras or photography.

Photographs did not exist until the early 1820's.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I think this is a good thing. It shows that religion is capable of evolving just as society evolves. The fact that it's the Catholic church that's admitting this is the shocking part to me.
There was a time a long time ago where the story of Adam and Eve would have been relevant for the religion, but nowadays in our modern scientific society it just isn't.

That's my normal person take on the the myth. The ancient astronaut theorist in me believes that Adam and Eve were very much real, having been genetically engineered into the modern Homo Sapiens were now are.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
For all of those stating that the DNA gives evidence of there being one mother, or Eve, you have taken the information wrong. You have to remember that the human species has gone through many stages of evolution, these stages are triggered by mutations, and successful mutations continue and failed mutations die out. These mutations start in one person and then spread out. This has to have happened in our current form, one had to be the first, this DNA traces back to that first mutation, the first one with this mutation would of bred with someone without it, but the mutation was stronger and stayed, their offspring again would of bred with those without the mutated gene and again it spreads, until eventually everyone has the mutated gene because it is the stronger. It does not mean there was no other females before this mutation happened. Just that the other side of the family tree died out

It is not evidence some mythological being stole a rib from someone and moulded a woman out of it

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by FutureThinker

I copied this statement from the OPs link, Yahoo News

"According to Genesis, God created Adam and Eve as the first man and woman and all people are descended from them."

So, is the Church trying to cover thier butts, because from the statement above, all I get is that incest took place, and thats how we all got here, that seems to be what the story of Adam & Eve is saying.

How could we have been so stupid to believe that we all came from just two humans, does anybody else get this too.

You would have decended from 2 humans but I didn't. Be careful of what you are reading and how man will put his spin on things. Remember the truth can't be changed so they can say what ever they want.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Why would a antichristian bother us? It's not like we don't already know the priesthood is full of decievers and pedophile alcholic fugitives hiding from justice. He may as well say Christ doesn't exist, if you're going to throw out any part of the bible you have to throw it all out as nonsense.

Goat horns, cloven hooves..."LEFT... NEXT!"

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quibbler
I think this is a good thing. It shows that religion is capable of evolving just as society evolves. The fact that it's the Catholic church that's admitting this is the shocking part to me.
There was a time a long time ago where the story of Adam and Eve would have been relevant for the religion, but nowadays in our modern scientific society it just isn't.

That's my normal person take on the the myth. The ancient astronaut theorist in me believes that Adam and Eve were very much real, having been genetically engineered into the modern Homo Sapiens were now are.

They should start stoning adulterers or whatever crazy crap they used to do to whoever, or shut the hell up.

A religion that evolves? Come off it mate. You either believe something is what it is and nothing changes it or it's a massive joke.

Well...

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Garfee

Originally posted by Quibbler

They should start stoning adulterers or whatever crazy crap they used to do to whoever, or shut the hell up.

A religion that evolves? Come off it mate. You either believe something is what it is and nothing changes it or it's a massive joke.

Well...

Amen! People should just take a stand on their position. Either you believe one thing or you believe the other. Religion and science are in opposition to each other. If scripture jibed with the science books there would be no faith necessary. One cannot serve two masters.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MobiusShaun

I put those figures to a friend of ours (many years ago) who was a senior Jehovah's Witness and who was trying to convert us. He said (and I quote) "Yes, but what you have got to remember is that in those day's Hippopotamuses were only six inches long"! He lost all of us!
Cardinal Pell (the man who would be Pope) is hedging his bets and is trying to depict himself as a 'free and open-minded person" as the Pope did when making the statement that Aliens could indeed exist and that we must accept that fact (or words to that effect - feel free to correct me).

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
see the thing is if you can believe in a talking snake then
its not to much of a strech to separate you from your money and your children and your land...

Money - Tything to the richest organization in the world...with a mafia bank..CHECK
Children - "Give us a child till he is seven and he is ours for life" jesuit maxim....CHECK....
Land - First we had the land and they had the bible, then they said let us close our eyes and pray...
when we opened our eyes they had the land and we had the bible....CHECK

yep
a talking snake.

ORIGINAL SIN??!!...have I got an absolvence to sell you...
( no, not a get out of pedophillia jail free card)
its called a CARBON TAX

edit on 10-4-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-4-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join