It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pell says Adam and Eve didn't exist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

au.news.yahoo.com

In comments that may shock some staunch Catholics, Cardinal George Pell has described the biblical story of Adam and Eve as a myth.

He appeared alongside renowned evolutionary biologist and atheist, Professor Richard Dawkins, on the ABC's Q&A program last night.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Whoah!! If this isnt a kick in the little ones to all religious folks out there I don't know what is? Is it time that the "big story" is gonna change....again?

Well, apearing alongside a biologist Professor Richard Dawkins he went on to say that it was made up story.

"It's a religious story told for religious purposes." he said...........Mmmmm so the church does lie then?

News to me?

Sorry, here is a link to Cardinal George Pell.

George Pell AC (born 8 June 1941) is an Australian cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church. He is the eighth and current Archbishop of Sydney, serving since 2001.[1] He previously served as auxiliary bishop (1987–96) and archbishop (1996–2001) of the Archdiocese of Melbourne.[2] He was created a cardinal in 2003

en.wikipedia.org...

au.news.yahoo.com
edit on 10-4-2012 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-4-2012 by CaptainBeno because: missed a bit

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a myth # i thought they were aliens

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I wish the church would come to a consensus on the subject before they start bleating on to everyone else about following them or perishing in a hell that now may or may not be a myth!

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Dear CaptainBeno,

LOL. Yes, their are people who call themselves Christians and don't believe in the bible. Now, lets look to science that says that one woman was the mother of all. At a minimum, science currently believes there was an Eve. That is the state of modern genetics. Mr. Pell is no more giving Catholic doctrine than the pedophiles were teaching church doctrine. By the way, I left the Catholic church 40 years ago; but, I do know their dogma.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Fair enough! Still, if one story is, well, a story!? Surely it can't be long untill the whole book is admitted to!

Not religious at all. My beliefs are far beyond "a story". Fact is your best friend!

Cheers!

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
As Dawkins suggested, it kind of cancels out original sin... and to personally add to that, the subsequent lineage within the Bible. If Adam and Eve didn't exist, neither did their descendants.. which basically means most of the bible is crap. What of all the other characters? My guess is that they are likely crap too!

IRM

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno

Fair enough! Still, if one story is, well, a story!? Surely it can't be long untill the whole book is admitted to!

Not religious at all. My beliefs are far beyond "a story". Fact is your best friend!

Cheers!

Dear CaptainBeno,

Okay; but, this guys words don't make it a story. Finding someone who claims to believe in Christ that also believes in non-biblical things. The gnostics accept some of the book and fill in what they want the rest to say. The truth is not shaped by our opinions, our opinions should be focused on the truth and on what is true we should be free to decide for ourselves. If a scientist says that the bible is true, does that mean non-believers should accept it? Mr. Pell is no more meaningful than the idiot that claimed the world would end in October. God is or is not, opinions do not change that. We are sentient and live beyond this human life or we do not and opinions do not change that either.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Yep, that's about the sum of it.

Why the big switch? Is there something big going to happen that makes religious people like this look like fools? One has to wonder why hey?

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Cardinal Pell said the existence of Adam and Eve was not a matter of science but rather a mythological account. "It's a very sophisticated mythology to try to explain the evil and the suffering in the world," he said.

A talking snake convinced a woman who in turn convinced a man (Both with no concept of right from wrong), to take a bite from some fruit that then gave them the ability to understand right from wrong. Man has to work the field, Woman has to suffer during childbirth, and the snake has to crawl around on it's belly. Therefore: evil exists. Right...
Doesn't sound very "Sophisticated" IMO.

"It's a religious story told for religious purposes."

And what purpose is that, Mr Pell?

The implications of a comment like that are huge.

Let's see what the Official statement from the Church says as a follow up to this.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noinoi

Cardinal Pell said the existence of Adam and Eve was not a matter of science but rather a mythological account. "It's a very sophisticated mythology to try to explain the evil and the suffering in the world," he said.

A talking snake convinced a woman who in turn convinced a man (Both with no concept of right from wrong), to take a bite from some fruit that then gave them the ability to understand right from wrong. Man has to work the field, Woman has to suffer during childbirth, and the snake has to crawl around on it's belly. Therefore: evil exists. Right...
Doesn't sound very "Sophisticated" IMO.

"It's a religious story told for religious purposes."

And what purpose is that, Mr Pell?

The implications of a comment like that are huge.

Let's see what the Official statement from the Church says as a follow up to this.

Religion fails to see its own hypocrisy......

even when they admit it.
edit on 10-4-2012 by MisterFister103 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I copied this statement from the OPs link, Yahoo News

"According to Genesis, God created Adam and Eve as the first man and woman and all people are descended from them."

So, is the Church trying to cover thier butts, because from the statement above, all I get is that incest took place, and thats how we all got here, that seems to be what the story of Adam & Eve is saying.

How could we have been so stupid to believe that we all came from just two humans, does anybody else get this too.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

The fact that he is a prominent member of the catholic church has nothing to do with it then? The mere fact that catholic/ Christian religion is based on this etc etc (you know what I mean) does not seem to point out that it's all been a lie and they (religious believers) have been sold down the river?

Just think of all the cash that goes to these guys
All the things that are connected to the catholic church etc?
WARS?

If it's all a lie (sorry, story) what have you been sold into believing?.................not a lot then? In fact nothing.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

au.news.yahoo.com

In comments that may shock some staunch Catholics, Cardinal George Pell has described the biblical story of Adam and Eve as a myth.

He appeared alongside renowned evolutionary biologist and atheist, Professor Richard Dawkins, on the ABC's Q&A program last night.

This is how atheism became acceptable in civilized society. Atheist psychopaths and sociopaths, infiltrated Religious and Political positions to ever so slightly steer society away from theism. Cardinal Pell ought to be excommunicated and ripped from his position.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FutureThinker

Oh no, I get it all right.

Along with talking bushes and other miracles.......incest is right up there.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Wouldn't there have to be man and female to produce the first human being so technically there is an Adam and Eve.

Most likely not the bible version..since that is a man made book built on myths.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

This is how atheism became acceptable in civilized society. Atheist psychopaths and sociopaths, infiltrated Religious and Political positions to ever so slightly steer society away from theism. Cardinal Pell ought to be excommunicated and ripped from his position.

Or not everyone is stupid and takes a fairy tale as word for word fact?

Occam's razor would seem to side with me on that one.

Oh the beauty of having a brain and being able to use it!

edit on 4-10-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

au.news.yahoo.com

It's not people that don't believe in god that are the problem, buddy.

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Garfee

It's not people that don't believe in god that are the problem, buddy.

And history proves that

Why is it most religious folk seem to ignore all history besides what is written in the bible?

These mindless drones seem more of a problem to society than anything.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

This has been the official position since the early Church that the Old Testament is full of myths as well as historical accounts of the Israelites. The fundamentalist/literalist interpretation of the bible is a modern phenomenon.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join